Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science students, I need advice.

Options
  • 11-01-2015 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I'm doing my LC this year and considering CIT as my second choice. However the course I want to do, Computer Science, doesn't seem to be specifically in CIT, and the points for their computing courses are far lower than UCC which is my first choice. So does anyone have any advice? What course would suit me, how you like CIT, are the degrees respected in the job market as opposed to UCC or somewhere similar, that kind of thing. Thanks from a very nervous LC Student!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

megarusty wrote: »
    I'm doing my LC this year and considering CIT as my second choice. However the course I want to do, Computer Science, doesn't seem to be specifically in CIT, and the points for their computing courses are far lower than UCC which is my first choice. So does anyone have any advice? What course would suit me, how you like CIT, are the degrees respected in the job market as opposed to UCC or somewhere similar, that kind of thing. Thanks from a very nervous LC Student!
    You might be a while waiting for an answer from someone specifically in those courses, so i will answer as best as i can.

The computing courses in CIT as you have probably spotted are split into a few different courses from first year including - Computing - IT Support - Software development.

All of these courses are well recognised by employers and you will find that in first year the modules are often quite similar amongst all the computing courses and from 2nd year onward modules and electives can become more specific.

With regards to the jobs market, i can tell you first hand that the people who put in the effort and finish amongst the top of their classes are picked up for jobs very quickly or else they carry on to the post graduates courses that are available.

Employers such as EMC and VMWare are constantly in touch with the college and this has led to the development of Masters courses such as cloud computing. The computing courses in CIT are well known to respond quickly to the demands of industry.

I would suggest picking the area you think you will enjoy the most and trying it out. One thing that people need to appreciate about CIT is that you are given alot more classroom time than in University courses, this allows for a more structured course with additional tutorial times which is a massive benefit to students who utilise it.

UCC in particular as far as i am concerned has let its standards slip over the last decade, i am aware of people who have degrees from UCC and are currently doing post graduates in environmental science yet they cant chart a table in excel. Remember the CAO points are based on demand for a course vs available places - CAO points are not an indication of the course being better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 megarusty

Thanks for your reply. In terms of the job market, do you know how useful a degree from CIT is abroad? I want to move to Canada at some point and I'm wondering how well received the degree would be.

Thanks for your reply. In terms of the job market, do you know how useful a degree from CIT is abroad? I want to move to Canada at some point and I'm wondering how well received the degree would be.
    It will be as well recieved as any, its the same level of qualifications as UCC and its issued from the same authority. The difference will be the content of the course the UCC course will obviously have different modules and have some different areas to the CIT course. CIT like students to have a good hands on knowledge as well as the theory.

IT Vs Uni , isnt really a big deal. Look at MIT in the USA for example.

It is widely expected that CIT will become Munster Technological University in the next year or two.

If you want to ensure yourself of a job make sure you do well in all subjects and get a 1st in your degree, companies do contact lecturers on a regular basis to make them aware of positions and ask if there are any top class students finishing soon etc.

I would reccomend you build up some good work experience before moving to Canada, it will make it far easier to pick up work over there.

Once you move abroad very few people interviewing you will know anything about UCC or CIT, you will prove yourself on your knowledge. The degree may get your the interview but its your knowledge and experience that will get you the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 megarusty

Thanks. I feel a bit better about putting it down now, although I am a little worried as to why the computing course in CIT is one year shorter than UCC

Thanks. I feel a bit better about putting it down now, although I am a little worried as to why the computing course in CIT is one year shorter than UCC
    Because the first 3 years brings you up to a Level 7 degree a Bachelor of Science or Bsc.

Then you choose either one more year of IT Management or Cloud Computing which bring you up to a Level 8 Degree a Bsc Hons .

However i would advise if your interest is primarily in programming then to pick the software development course in the cao.

You should really start doing your research its pretty important that you understand the differences. Basically Level 8 degree should be your goal, after that either go out working or continue on to Masters level.

Read what it says in the overview section and read what the modules are in each year and if they would appeal to you http://www.cit.ie/course/CR016

• Advertisement
Advertisement