Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

heres the chart, winds generally change direction during storms (today's gales will be southerly to start and eventually veer wnw) but the strongest gusts were probably westerly.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/2014/brack/bracka20140213.gif

Trees are in a line facing south so they will have supported each other...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Is there any chance of this precipitation turning to snow for a while? still 0c here with dp of 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Is there any chance of this precipitation turning to snow for a while? still 0c here with dp of 0.

Just started raining here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Time for me to hide under the covers and sing the ted song :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From UKMO,

b0f2916d5c2f70dc1d7084f2696e6ec3b2e8f587.gif

Been telling a few people about this approaching storm,all they seemed concerned with is "hope we don't get any snow".As the discussion on the radio went yesterday evening - "Forget about the snow,it's the wind we need to be worried about".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

zerks wrote: »
    From UKMO,

b0f2916d5c2f70dc1d7084f2696e6ec3b2e8f587.gif

Been telling a few people about this approaching storm,all they seemed concerned with is "hope we don't get any snow".As the discussion on the radio went yesterday evening - "Forget about the snow,it's the wind we need to be worried about".

Looks like we'll take a hammering in Mayo.
    Any idea when this will peak? Hoping for a daylight event as its easier to see what's happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There have been quite a few ESB adverts across different radio stations this morning warning of the dangers of fallen power lines following storms!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

corsav6 wrote: »
    Looks like we'll take a hammering in Mayo.
    Any idea when this will peak? Hoping for a daylight event as its easier to see what's happening.

T'will be dark for a good chunk of it I'm afraid.

Be bright for the start of it and the finish of it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There have been quite a few ESB adverts across different radio stations this morning warning of the dangers of fallen power lines following storms!

the powercheck map will be getting little blue pins all evening i reckon.

what time is this going to start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm expecting maybe a Red alert for exposed coasts and orange elsewhere from Met soon. Their initial alert was sent out at 4pm yesterday. Things look a bit worse going by latest runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

You can see the times in the top right corner of the animation posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

if there are going to be red alerts then they need to be up by noon to allow people in the effected areas to prepare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

I'm expecting maybe a Red alert for exposed coasts and orange elsewhere from Met soon. Their initial alert was sent out at 4pm yesterday. Things look a bit worse going by latest runs.
    What time a outs is this to happen in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Currently very calm and raining in Macroom Co.Cork, looking at above animation it seems to start about 12 - going to be a very different place in an hour i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭typhoony

even though this system is not as severe as last february's storm the core of winds in Rachel are going to last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Completely calm and sleeting in Castlebar at the moment, still white since yesterday as well, a bit of an ominous sign of what's to come today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

Wind is picking up here ... Heavy rain as well

Wesht of Dingle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Doesn't look too bad on the short range model up until 7pm anyway.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Doesn't look too bad on the short range model up until 7pm anyway.

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Yeah, at 7pm the wind shifts to a westerly and then the pounding begins.

I don't think I'll be playing 5 a side tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Larbre34 wrote: »
    At least you're not flying it.

I am :(

Due to land in Dublin around 5am. Flying from NY. Not looking forward to this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Knex. wrote: »
    I am :(

Due to land in Dublin around 5am. Flying from NY. Not looking forward to this at all.

I wouldn't worry, London is nice this time of year.

Wind howling loud here in South Kerry.. this is at my front door.....................[IMG][/img]nz3yx3.jpg

I have made a bed up downstairs on the floor so that may help later....house is two storeys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

worst of this storm looks to be after 8pm with midnight to 6 am looking particularly bad

gusts of over 70knots likely in West

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭murdig

Rain and light wind here in Tralee, sky dark grey, reckon were in for a bad one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Raw EURO4 data gives west coast of Mayo and Galway gusts >90 knots.

Frequent gusts to 80 knots between midnight and 9am

Max gust Dublin area, 65kt around 2pm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

It's a coming alright...

Kinsale Energy14 Jan 11:00h
    Pressure : 1002.1hPa
    Wind Direction 221
    SPEED : 37Kts [gust 53Kts]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Picking up here now. Also raining moderately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Raw EURO4 data gives west coast of Mayo and Galway gusts >90 knots.

When are high tides on the West coast?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement