Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

RoisinD wrote: »

Waiting to see the mayor of Limerick swan up into one of them parking spaces. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Plenty trucks blown over last year. Plenty trucks on Motorways.

I understand it will be windy, windy enough to put the car in danger though? I could use a way out of this :) Tell him he has to take the bus

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Waiting to see the mayor of Limerick swan up into one of them parking spaces. :D

Trust me he won't be there long. Wind has started to pick up here and it has been raining for a while as well. Good camera to watch the Atlantic rolling in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

I don't suppose any of the lads in the know ( i know I've seen them before) could do one of those maps and MS Paint etc. in the expected areas / wind speeds etc. as i'm in Longford and it's hard to know where we get bunched in on weather conditions. I've seen us mentioned as mid west although technically Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

kryogen wrote: »
    I understand it will be windy, windy enough to put the car in danger though? I could use a way out of this :) Tell him he has to take the bus

The bus will blow over before your car :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I really have no idea what the weather will be like. Like you, I'm only on this thread to read the points made by people who know something about the weather and forecasts.

I'm just pointing out that in February 2014 on the road from Mallow to Limerick I passed 4 overturned trucks (and that was a less exposed road than I expect the motorway would be)

The trucks were literally blown right over by the gusts.

One truck landed right on top of a car just outside croom. I passed it a few mintues after it happened. Somehow miraculously the driver wasn't seriously injured. I still can't understand how she wasn't killed, the car was totally pan-caked down to door handle level.

So I think the real risk in strong wind is not so much getting blown out of control while driving, but something getting blown on top of the car (e.g tree, poles or truck etc.) or onto the road where it might be difficult to avoid at speed or spot in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

its annoying the peak of the storm we will be asleep for in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Probably safer on the motorway,no large trees on the roadside that may fall.Just be aware of crosswinds and you should be ok.

I had to drive on rural roads during last February's storm and that was an experience,although I did pass an eejit out walking his dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm in Enniscorthy in Wexford.

Force 8 -9 winds tonight

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Handy little tool

• Registered Users Posts: 9,482 ✭✭✭weisses

I think you will be more annoyed this storm will keep you awake :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Bay Webcam up and running
    DONEGAL BAY WATERBUS WEBCAM

haha more like i would be driving to the highest peak to see what the go is lol

Not sure if that chart is any use.....showing peak 22knots for me

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Car buffeted about there about 30mins ago on The main Clonakilty to Skibbereen road , driving rain has now ceased a little , really hard to figure out the wind direction it is swirling so much , sea is a monster !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Met office updates their wind warning for NI. 70MPH across the West and North and 80mph for Northern coastal areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

irish1967 wrote: »
    Donegal Bay Webcam up and running
    DONEGAL BAY WATERBUS WEBCAM

You should treat the window the camera is pointing through with RainX - http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/screenwash-de-icer/rain-x-rain-repellent-200ml

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

47 kts from 173° at 13:06 at Cork Habour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Severe gusts starting on mayo coast

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So my assumption that the motorways should be fine may not be correct? :)

Not sure as I dont use them,,, I think they have a phone in service? But they should be cleared as priority. Wind is another matter entirely and that will be the real problem from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Winding up nicely at midday.

335013.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

On the forecast at 5 to 1 Met Eireann said winds were going to be strong gale 9 to storm force 10 on Coasts from Valentia to Eirris head to Malin head and could reach violent storm force 11, if that does not warrant a red alert ???

Depends how good you are at shutting out noise;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Storm 10 wrote: »
    On the forecast at 5 to 1 Met Eireann said winds were going to be strong gale 9 to storm force 10 on Coasts from Valentia to Eirris head to Malin head and could reach violent storm force 11, if that does not warrant a red alert ???

This would be the sea area forecast and the winds should be much less on land.

Getting very very noisy and gusty here in South Kerry, earlier than I expected:rolleyes: I will close down here at my usual time and decamp to the nether regions then to get settled in.. knitting and book etc... I have realised that my bedroom is the noisiest room in the house and that down in the kitchen it is quieter anyways.. think of it as a holiday! roar it goes out there! stay safe everyone and please dont take risks else you wont get to my age;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

SHERKIN ISLAND(A) SW 41 Gust 52 KTS at 13:00 report

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Forecast on RTE One was pretty vague,basically wet & very windy.Then skipped through the next 2 days.

Just on local radio in Galway the ESB have declared an emergency as the storm approaches, crews will be on standby and he said they expect major distribution to supplies

zerks wrote: »
    Forecast on RTE One was pretty vague,basically wet & very windy.Then skipped through the next 2 days.

Didn't she mention violent storm force 11, I was listening also, this was on radio one TV weather may be recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 48 donedl1

Snowing heavily in north Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Shannon

Southerly gale 8 to storm 10 veering westerly severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, occasionally hurricane force 12 in north. High, becoming very high, occasionally phenomenal in north. Rain then squally showers. Moderate or poor, occasionally very poor in north

Rockall, Malin

Southeasterly gale 8 to storm 10 becoming cyclonic severe gale 9 to violent storm 11, occasionally hurricane force 12 in south. High, becoming very high, occasionally phenomenal. Rain then squally showers. Poor, occasionally very poor in south

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement