Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Picked up here outside Newport in Mayo. The wind is consistent and steadily getting worse.
    I think this is turning out to be worse than anything in 13/14 for us in Mayo.
    Living in a dormer so I can actually fell the wind on the roof when upstairs, so sleeping downstairs tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Starting to get pretty blustery here and spitting rain. Didn't expect anything till later tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

HIRLAM appears to be developing a secondary feature moving to the south of the main centre, with an associated belt of strong winds for around 10am tomorrow in the W & N.

http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/temp2mv2,tuul10ms,tuul10mb,presmslp,presmslv

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Didn't she mention violent storm force 11, I was listening also, this was on radio one TV weather may be recorded

It was the tv forecast,brief mention of storm force winds off the West coast and gales elsewhere.
    Not enough detail Imo,most people will take it to be just a forecast of a bit of wind & rain.

The BBC forecast this the other day and went into great detail.People here will get caught out later if they went by the forecast after the 1pm news on RTE 1 tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Are these winds all over the country? Or just North/West?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Went from virtual calm here to windy around 11.30am. Wind is now gusting to 60km/h.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Would suggest thread title edit, either go to level 3 or add (Level 3 for parts of northwest) ahead of current wording.

Level 3 would apply to all exposed areas from north Kerry around the coast to Antrim and approximately 30 kms inland and this places Galway city or at least some parts in the level 3 zone.

Peak conditions still expected to be level 2 south coast, some parts of midlands, Dublin where not sheltered from westerly winds.

I will post a map of expected peak wind gusts soon, working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I have the weather pro app and they have a red warning for place in kerry and cork this evening from 9 to 12 in their forecast. Found this very accurate for snow conditions the last couple of days here. for my location only an orange warning. are Met Eireann giving the appropriate warning in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Would suggest thread title edit, either go to level 3 or add (Level 3 for parts of northwest) ahead of current wording.

Level 3 would apply to all exposed areas from north Kerry around the coast to Antrim and approximately 30 kms inland and this places Galway city or at least some parts in the level 3 zone.

Peak conditions still expected to be level 2 south coast, some parts of midlands, Dublin where not sheltered from westerly winds.

I will post a map of expected peak wind gusts soon, working on it.

here in mid west cork 20min from the kerry border its packing a punch....very strong gusts the last 30min. I cant imagine it being less than level 3 if full impact isnt for another 5hrs or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Tralee Bay, last couple of hours,

South Westerly winds gusting 60/70 mph, blowing one heck of a storm.

Lashing rain & sleet. Some structural damage, Witnessed steel garden shed being ripped apart

Looks like it is getting worse.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I have the weather pro app and they have a red warning for place in kerry and cork this evening from 9 to 12 in their forecast. Found this very accurate for snow conditions the last couple of days here. for my location only an orange warning. are Met Eireann giving the appropriate warning in time?

Met have warning up since yesterday, status orange is gusts up to 130km/h.
    What scale of warning system has your app?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Conditions progressively worsening on mayo coast. A red alert should be issued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I heard the forecast on RTE Radio 1 and she mentioned violent storm force 11 from Valentia to Malin Head tonight :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

First creak of the soffit!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Conditions progressively worsening on mayo coast. A red alert should be issued.

Jesus and that's only the start

• Registered Users Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭TheBody

I just want to say a big thank you to the posters of videos and pictures of the storm. They create a wonderful record of these events. Keep them coming and be safe out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

corsav6 wrote: »
    Picked up here outside Newport in Mayo. The wind is consistent and steadily getting worse.
    I think this is turning out to be worse than anything in 13/14 for us in Mayo.
    Living in a dormer so I can actually fell the wind on the roof when upstairs, so sleeping downstairs tonight.

I have started a fashion! My new bed will be in a corner of my workroom as far from the front a possible. Old house and every room is the width of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

zerks wrote: »
    Forecast on RTE One was pretty vague,basically wet & very windy.Then skipped through the next 2 days.

Tv forecast was ridiculous given the circumstances. She mentioned it would be "windy" this evening and had little windy arrows with 40km in them. Tomorrow she said would be "windy maybe even stormy". There were some arrows wiith 60km in them but that was it. No big deal was the general impression. I expected I'd come online and find it seriously downgraded by the boardsie experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Tralee Bay, last couple of hours,

South Westerly winds gusting 60/70 mph, blowing one heck of a storm.

Lashing rain & sleet. Some structural damage, Witnessed steel garden shed being ripped apart

Looks like it is getting worse.:(

Same thoughts here in South Kerry... not pleasant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Red Alert should be issued, this storm is really whipping up as I write !

Guess Electricity and phone lines will go down soon.

Candles at the ready. Sky is almost black !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

To be fair to Met Eireann they have a level 2 orange warning in place for many counties, that indicates damaging gusts up to 130km/hr. Is there widespread model consensus to indicate gusts will be exceeding this?

If people don't pay heed to orange warnings, a la 'it's just a bit of wind', that's their gamble surely? why should a red warning be put in place unless the criteria are met with the guidance?

Of course if the models do indicate wind speeds that are likely to exceed 130km/hr, then the orange warning should be upgraded. How likely is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Rte forecasts so have been very lame. It's already blowing a gale on the coast in South Donegal. Some sharp gusts already. I expect the proper meteorologist after the 6.1 news ro be a bit more detailed

To be fair to Met Eireann they have a level 2 orange warning in place for many counties, that indicates damaging gusts up to 130km/hr. Is there widespread model consensus to indicate gusts will be exceeding this?

If people don't pay heed to orange warnings, a la 'it's just a bit of wind', that's their gamble surely? why should a red warning be put in place unless the criteria are met with the guidance?

Of course if the models do indicate wind speeds that are likely to exceed 130km/hr, then the orange warning should be upgraded. How likely is this?

I do think Met Eireann were caught on the hop a bit in February 14, but that storm looked more severe on the HIRLAM (which proved quite accurate) than this one does.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Gusts starting to get stronger now in west Cork and very heavy rain. Going to be a lot of water coming down the mountains with all the snow melting so fast.

Highest windspeed at 14:00, 55 knot gust at Sherkin, 100 km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

no inclination that gusts are going to exceed 130km/h at present so the orange alert seems justified. However, it should be stressed by RTE that damaging gusts are likely across the west and action should be taken to secure loose items and travel tonight only if absolutely necessary. Might not be as bad as last feb but definitely going to be some damage done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Highest windspeed at 14:00, 55 knot gust at Sherkin, 100 km/hr

Mace Head 58.

Still tame enough really.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Red Alert should be issued, this storm is really whipping up as I write !

Guess Electricity and phone lines will go down soon.

Candles at the ready. Sky is almost black !

See that Met Eireann have just issued a Red warning for the western coastal counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Just came out of the library & nearly got blown away. Yikes that wind is strong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Starting to get windy here now in NW Cork.

Large power outages in Co. Galway already. Going to be a busy few days for the ESB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement