Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Peace wrote: »
    That bush is taking a pounding. Hope everyone is being safe.

If-you-know-what-i-mean.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Lots of blue pins appearing

Wind really starting to get up in Wexford now aswell

zerks wrote: »
    If-you-know-what-i-mean.png

Cough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Should Cork not be included in this warning considering it has a very large exposed coastline and shares high mountainous areas with Kerry along it's western border?

No because Kerry is probably on the edge of the impact zone.

If they used your theory then Waterford would need to be included, then Wexford and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Maq is this on a par with last years storm ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Roof tiles rattling here in Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Villain wrote: »
    Not sure why Met Eireann always upgrade so late!, hope it wasn't me and Wicklow Weather on liveline that prompted it :)
    Dont forget Weathercheck, he has consisitently called for a red last 24 hrs, well done to all, hope there is no seroius damage or injuries.

Got a 1500va ups for my circulating pump and tested it yesterday and it works, hope i dont need to use it but can let the stove die down (as well as the ups battery) if there is a powercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

when is it going to peak?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

10.4 mm in the bucket so far today, but I think this may be due in part to yesterday evening's/last night's snow having melted within it. Blustery, rather than full on windy in this part of east Galway so far.

New Moon

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Status Red warning issued by ME:

Wind Warning for Exposed coastal and mountain areas of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Kerry.
    Wind gusts 130 to 150km/h possible.

High onshore seas also

Issued:Wednesday 14 January 2015 14:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 January 2015 21:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

it's wierd that they only have an orange alert as a marine weather warning given that there are going to be hurricane force winds off the west coast.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Akrasia wrote: »
    it's wierd that they only have an orange alert as a marine weather warning given that there are going to be hurricane force winds off the west coast.

You obviously have not looked recently...or seen my post above! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

What time is the height of the storm predicted to occur?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DOCARCH wrote: »
    You obviously have not looked recently...or seen my post above! :p
    I was referring to the marine weather warning http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp?t=Marine

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

Wind has just started on Inch Island, after an hour and a half of snow. Getting sleet and rain now. Wind was immediately very strong, whipping around the house like no man's business (I'm on the third floor) Will be interesting to see how this progresses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

so are we going Red/Level3 for this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's getting very blustery in Cork City now.
    Any traces of lying snow are completely gone at this stage but the wind's strong enough to have slammed one of our windows closed. Didn't realise it was open slightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

stooge wrote: »
    so are we going Red/Level3 for this thread?

I'm sure a mod will once they get a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

elastico wrote: »
    No because Kerry is probably on the edge of the impact zone.

If they used your theory then Waterford would need to be included, then Wexford and so on.

Sherkin Island is recording gusts up to 55kts, only just behind Mace Head (58), and well ahead of much of the rest of the west coast at the moment. It would seem only prudent to include Cork...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

655 viewing.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pressure trend at my station since midnight. A fall over over 15 hPa since 9 am this morning. Currently reading at 980.1 hPa.

824WQA.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Met Eireann now announce highest weather warning...
    Met Éireann has just issued a Status Red weather warning – its highest level.
    The Wind Warning applies to exposed coastal and mountain areas of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Kerry.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/met-eireann-issues-status-red-weather-warning-658071.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

My son lives in West Dublin and tells me that is has gotten very windy there already with gale gusts. Rain also started. He's surprised at how strong the wind is already there. We are nestling down here in South Donegal. Loads of fuel in, loads of candles and torches etc. Fire lot in sitting room so I'm going to sit back read a bit and take it handy. Frank, the guy that lives by the coast went to his sisters place in Sligo as he wanted to catch up with her so he's alright. I know we aren't supposed to say this but I have a feeling this will be bad. The quick thaw, the strange colour to the sky earlier and ye will laugh but there's a particular noise the wind makes around my place before a big storm and for last few hours I can hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Where are you?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

yorlum11 wrote: »
    What time is the height of the storm predicted to occur?

Would suggest that peak winds will be arriving by midnight and perhaps 0300 to 0600h will be the very height of it although a second maximum could occur as the storm absorbs a secondary feature that is catching up. Whether this makes any noticeable difference to the time sequence or just a rather long peak remains to be seen. And noting your location, the peak gusts could be higher than 150 km/hr. Note also, it will seem quite bad before midnight, I expect, but the peak will be after that.

Others have been asking is this going to be worse than last year's peak storm and for that, I would hazard this guess -- will be worse north of a line from Kilkee (Clare) to Birr to Naas. Will be about the same for about 30 km south of that and not as bad for most of Limerick, Kerry and Cork although possibly almost as bad. Will of course be far worse north of a Galway to Dublin line because the worst storm last winter did not bring its full strength there and so we're comparing with less intense events.

The key to the intensity is the phasing of upper level low and explosively deepening surface low. I think people are generally prepared but in case any doubt remains, would be prepared for some damage and power interruptions in exposed western regions and once it gets bad it won't just blow through in an hour or two, but will be sustained for nine to twelve hours, so that your electricity services will be challenged to repair damage until that subsides.

Would therefore suggest rethinking any unnecessary travel by road in areas of map in previous post where winds above 140 km/hr. It may not be so bad in a few parts of the southeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Sherkin Island recorded a gust of 64 knots or 118km/h in past hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Kinsale Energy
    14 Jan 15:00
    PRESSURE 991.0
    DIRECTION 206
    SPEED (kts) 51 gust 68

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement