Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I couldn't understand why the rain hasn't reached my parts - bone dry, not a drop here. I had a look at the radar and I'm surrounded by rain except for a little hole, you can see it just ne of Dublin on the radar,must the Wickla rain shadow?
    http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The longevity of this 'Rachel' storm could be its dark side. If we are seeing 120 km/h already and are looking at a 24 hour duration with a 6-9 hour peak it could be quite damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Possibly the reason Cork is not included in a red warning is that this first phase of the storm (associated with the front) will likely peak there so at first it might seem that Cork is keeping pace with other counties in the proposed red alert area, but in the second phase of more westerly storm force gusts, Kerry would be more exposed than Cork to those. Level 2 is bad enough in any case, you're always going to have marginal calls and so would say if you're well exposed anywhere in the level two zone expect occasional level 3 conditions, conversely, if you're sheltered in the level 3 zone you might never break out of level one or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Villain wrote: »
    Not sure why Met Eireann always upgrade so late!, hope it wasn't me and Wicklow Weather on liveline that prompted it :)

Possibly to cut down on the media's sensationalism causing widespread panic, eg. the Evening Herald guys on the streets in Dublin wearing flashing red lights on their heads saying liberty hall is gonna blow down. And honestly that's only slightly exaggerating what they're like.

I think people in risky areas were aware enough through the orange warning and will be checking for updates. That's what the orange warning is for, BE PREPARED, ie check for updates, keep an eye on developments and decide whether to take serious action in case of a red warning update.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

RuthieRose wrote: »
    Where are you?:eek:

Near Roonagh point,outside Louisburgh,co. mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Folks
    Where would you find out the local wind speeds? Very windy in the hills over Cavan but would be interesting to see what speed the wind is doing and gusting at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

3pm image. Bendback developing.

335031.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Can I just say a big thanks to everyone here. I don't post very often but I lurk. Any time there is any extreme weather hubby asks "And what does MT think of it?" :D I've been keeping him abreast of developments today.

Those of you who give your time and expertise so freely and pleasantly are wonderful. Thank you.

Its not bad here at all at the moment in Limerick City. But I anticipate things will rev up over the coming hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Props have to go the GFS(P) which stuck to this storm while other models backed off it a bit earlier this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Possibly the reason Cork is not included in a red warning is that this first phase of the storm (associated with the front) will likely peak there so at first it might seem that Cork is keeping pace with other counties in the proposed red alert area, but in the second phase of more westerly storm force gusts, Kerry would be more exposed than Cork to those. Level 2 is bad enough in any case, you're always going to have marginal calls and so would say if you're well exposed anywhere in the level two zone expect occasional level 3 conditions, conversely, if you're sheltered in the level 3 zone you might never break out of level one or two.

I'd be quite happy if Storm Rachel some how manages to miss the Cork altogether. I'm on a hill in East Cork and the way I know storms are gonna be bad is when the wind starts blowing the pebbles in the driveway - and right now I can hear pebbles starting to blow around a bit already. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Near Roonagh point,outside Louisburgh,co. mayo.

Parent's house is in Murrisk. Gonna be really bad down there after midnight I'd say. Neap tides at the moment so hopefully not as much coastal damage as in early 2014.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

10 min Ave 35km/h with a Max gust of 73km/h just recorded

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Oh look, a red alert that we've been crying for since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Last 12 hour pressure graph from east Mayo.

12-hour-pressure-14th-jan-2015_zpsd05632d1.png

barometerreading-14th-jan-2015_zps7ddcab6f.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Media are now starting to relay the Met Éireann warnings.

Gusts of up to 150km/h expected on west coast
    Met Éireann has said that wind gusts of 130-150km/h are possible in exposed areas from 9pm tonight until midday tomorrow.

A Status Red alert has been issued for coastal and mountain areas of Donegal, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick and Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

The government is holding a “Severe Weather Event” briefing

Source - http://www.thejournal.ie/weather-event-called-1881918-Jan2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

It has been like this in Galway for most of the day, before the warning was upgraded to red. Scary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Getting windy here now, not much Rain here either despite how it looks on the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

PLL wrote: »
    It has been like this in Galway for most of the day, before the warning was upgraded to red. Scary stuff.

OMG its bad where I but the wind is nowhere near that yet :eek::(

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭chipsdave

Looking westwards from The Galley Head Coastline ,white horses are raging,wind is now almost directly SW , very strong at times ,squally rain , earlydoors yet I would say .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

elastico wrote: »
    No because Kerry is probably on the edge of the impact zone.

If they used your theory then Waterford would need to be included, then Wexford and so on.

Oh right.

Well I wasn't really suggesting that all the southern coast of Ireland be included, nor was I theorising that if one specific coastal area can be affected, all coastal areas would be (clearly that would make no sense).

I just thought that if the Kerry Coast and mountainous areas were under threat of a "Red Warning" situation then with the proximity of certain parts of Cork's coast, e.g. the Beara Peninsula and Bantry Bay, together with areas of high altitude on the Cork/Kerry border, those areas in County Cork might also be at risk of similar conditions to Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Belfunk wrote: »

Plenty of hot air there I reckon.

Work should be fun later,thought the side of the building was going to come off with a squall the other night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Press conference at 4 according to this the hole place must be about to blow down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Government severe weather event

All wheelie bins travelling public roads will need to be taxed according to capacity.

Owners of Trampolines will need to register them with irish aviation authority. There will be a fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

80.6 km/h 3:38pm at my station in Tullow which is not high

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Bicycle wrote: »
    Can I just say a big thanks to everyone here. I don't post very often but I lurk. Any time there is any extreme weather hubby asks "And what does MT think of it?" :D I've been keeping him abreast of developments today.

Those of you who give your time and expertise so freely and pleasantly are wonderful. Thank you.

Its not bad here at all at the moment in Limerick City. But I anticipate things will rev up over the coming hours.

I'm exactly the same. I have no expertise but just love listening and picking up little bits. Even my kids ask if I've checked Boards and what was MT's forecast on a morning when it's looking particularly juicy !!

Thanks guys

hollster2 wrote: »
    OMG its bad where I but the wind is nowhere near that yet :eek::(

My oh was just going to CYCLE down to Tesco. I ate the head off him.

We're up on a hill by the coast, so strong winds are common enough for us. Still, this is bad. Dread to think we are hours off the peak of the storm! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    3pm image. Bendback developing.

335031.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance but what's a bendback?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dollseyes

I have my candles and torch ready for later. Everything that can be nailed down is done. Phone and laptop is currently charging incase of power outage..

Stay safe everyone!!

Mayo for sam 2015... 💚 ❤️

• Advertisement

Dollseyes wrote: »
    I have my candles and torch ready for later. Everything that can be nailed down is done. Phone and laptop is currently charging incase of power outage..

Stay safe everyone!!

Mayo for sam 2015... ðŸ‘💚❤️

Same as! MAYO4SAM15

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement