Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Vanolder wrote: »
    My bad- broad band.

Air pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Some of Gerald Fleming's comments at the press conference:

https://twitter.com/TJ_Politics/status/555404276605140992

Then that would apply to the northern half of the country although the west and southwest looks to get something from that swing as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    A thoroughly miserable day in Galway City. Nothing over and above usual miserable January weather. However, the wind has started whipping up a bit in the last hour. The QNH has been dropping like a stone all day, down to 971hpa now and still dropping.

What???

I was throwing snowballs at my kids and dog at 8am this morning!! Twas the best day ever!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=eidw3&icao=eidw

ATC mentioning winds now for flights landing on runway 16 @ DUB/EIDW

EDIT :: ICING too on approach for props mentioned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

If this HTC One M8's barometer's accurate, the air pressure in Cork City has just dropped by 1 hPa in about 15 mins or so.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

its still orange alter on the radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What???
    I was throwing snowballs at my kids and dog at 8am this morning!! Twas the best day ever!
    :)
    :eek:
    *Calls social services*

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Wild in North Cork, pouring rain. It was such a beautiful calm, snowy morning too, up until about 11am. Would rather have snow than wind. Though as long as I don't lose power I don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

100km/h gusts hitting Waterford now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

1657 met eireann update

Extremely windy or stormy, with some severe gusts at times. Widespread heavy rain this evening, with a risk of local flooding. But more showery conditions will spread from the west early tonight. Some of the showers will be heavy, with some hail and thunder. Lowest temperatures later tonight of zero to +3 C., with frost and ice possible in sheltered places.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be stormy for a time, with further severe gusts in places, but the winds will gradually moderate later in the day. Some bright spells, but heavy and prolonged showers also, sleety over high ground. Top temperatures 4 to 7 C., but feeling much colder in the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

1657 met eireann update

Extremely windy or stormy, with some severe gusts at times. Widespread heavy rain this evening, with a risk of local flooding. But more showery conditions will spread from the west early tonight. Some of the showers will be heavy, with some hail and thunder. Lowest temperatures later tonight of zero to +3 C., with frost and ice possible in sheltered places.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

Tomorrow will be stormy for a time, with further severe gusts in places, but the winds will gradually moderate later in the day. Some bright spells, but heavy and prolonged showers also, sleety over high ground. Top temperatures 4 to 7 C., but feeling much colder in the wind.

Doesn't sound too bad at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

That doesn't seem too bad to be honest

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see strongest gust at 1700 being reported at Casement/Baldonnel, at 109 kmh.

Figures...very windy/gusty here atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Pressure at Belmullet on the the 1600 reports was 970hpa, now on the 1700 reports its 967hpa, falling rapidly .Gust of 64 knots at Kinsale....a rough night ahead for the west for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

That doesn't seem too bad to be honest

Yep,average enough conditions now,before the severe winds kick in later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Toxica wrote: »
    Wild in North Cork, pouring rain. It was such a beautiful calm, snowy morning too, up until about 11am. Would rather have snow than wind. Though as long as I don't lose power I don't mind.
    Jesus I hope we don't lose power either - rural parts of N.Cork can take days to restore power as other locations around towns and villages are prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I see strongest gust at 1700 being reported at Casement/Baldonnel, at 109 kmh.

Figures...very windy/gusty here atm.

What a difference in 24 hours ......

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Wild~Wet & Windy, underground house would be great about now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What direction will the wind be tonight? What time will winds in Donegal be at its worst?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

1657 met eireann update

hr.gif

I thought there was going to be a rise of temperature associated with this storm. There has been very little thaw here all day and I'm wondering will I have to deal with icy roads as well as debris in the morning :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

I'm on the top of a hill inland from Clonakilty and it is horrendous at the moment? I'm having trouble reloading my phone to see older pages; when can West Cork expect the worst of it?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Pangea wrote: »
    What direction will the wind be tonight? What time will winds in Donegal be at its worst?

SSW veering WSW, between midnight and 6am, peaking around 3am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Pressure at Belmullet at 4pm was 970mb. Dropped 4 mb since 3pm.

967 at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pawack

Just spoke on the phone to a customer of mine in Belmullet.

Davy I said "what is the weather like down there I heard its not great"

His reply "aah we don,t mind a bit of a breeze over here sure we are used to it"

Tough Folk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

W1ll1s wrote: »
    Wild~Wet & Windy, underground house would be great about now!

If I were minded to move to the wesht, I'd build one and it would be a submerged single story dwelling like this

sustainable-underground-home-design.jpg

but with shutters on the open sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Northern Chaser

I cant see very much happening in NI this evening but from 6am until 12noon tomorrow will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

10 min Ave 35km/h with a Max gust of 73km/h just recorded

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Yeah. Trees bending sideways now in Dungarvan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Sherkin and Mace Head reporting lower gusts at 4pm. Looks like that may be the peak for the frontal phase of the winds there?

Fairly underwhelming winds so far, but should be pretty strong on west coast later tonight as the low approaches.

140+ zone of gusts now appears to be off most of the W & NW coast apart from grazing NW Donegal.

15-289UK_nuu2.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 lumos

Some fairly strong wind and rain here in Co. Tipp at the moment, nothing crazy yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement