Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

VERY strong winds and rain now feels like the roofs going to lift off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

A nice low of 967hpa here! (Clare)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

RobertKK wrote: »
    Reminds me of last February, trees falling everywhere here in Kilkenny, wind would blow you over and we had an orange warning, Met Eireann put it red when we were in the middle of it and sheds being blown away...

I never like it when I see Cork getting it bad, usually transfers this direction.
    Orange in limerick (not in an exposed/coastal red warning area). So far this shows no signs of being anywhere near last February's orange for limerick. Nothing exceptional here at all yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

12Z WRF pushes a strong zone of winds through the northern half of the country from mid morning into the afternoon. Dublin area could be affected after roughly 2pm.

nmmuk-11-21-0_hdk3.png
    nmmuk-11-23-0_wac8.png
    nmmuk-11-25-0_gbg1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Anyone hear from M.T.?

I thought he would gave posted an update and watched this progress with interest.

Perhaps he's having a power nap before this evenings fun?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gusting 58kts Waterford airport (107km/h).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

It's incredibly long lasting for a storm of this nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Can some one give me an idea of how this ranks historically? Will it be similar to the big storms of last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Met Eireann reported a mean wind speed of only 30 knts at Cork Airport. The 78knt gust seems to be a rogue unless ti happened just before 6pm. Quite enough in my area near Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

That gust report from Cork (if not a typo) may indicate just that a very strong cell happened to hit the sensor but conditions generally not quite that intense or we would have had multiple dramatic reports from Cork based observers. More likely to be consistent strong gusts with the squall line feature, red alert for Galway city and north Clare next hour with this.

Have had a careful look at satellite loop, some slight shift in short-term guidance may be just the result of considerable eddying around of centre which is not just moving along steady-state but wobbling something like a bee trapped in a jar at this point. Where the actual strong wind band sets up may be closer to earlier guidance than any shift north, I don't see this unfolding in the net forward motion (so maybe a case of models being faked out by instantaneous vectors?) ... would still expect the core of strongest winds to hit land rather than moving past over the Atlantic. Another factor is that the trailing swirls are really dragging the net momentum southward more than perhaps models are factoring in, that might prove to be an intensifying factor overall.

Surprised no sferics yet but maybe somebody could post the Icelandic link, I forgot to bookmark that one and resorted to meteociel which has nothing offshore recently. The squall line looks like it could generate thunderstorm activity.

Tactical, I posted a map of wind speeds a few pages back around 1600h, otherwise I have been biding my time as forecast seems on track. Will post an update some time soon just to maintain continuity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Re above Kilkenny user

I am no expert but I think this won't hit us as bad as last Feb's storm but it may have similar if not worse circumstances for a larger area thus affecting more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Did I hear Gerrard Fleming correctly on six one? Worst of the weather in Donegal at midnight then spreading down the coast. Donegal will have it worst in the second half of the night/early tomorrow morning. Like I said maybe I misheard him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Keen to remind people there will be a 'lull' in the winds in the wake of the frontal passage.

The damaging core of winds only move slowly into the north-west from 1/2am and slowly cross the country, peaking in eastern areas around 2pm tomorrow with gusts to 65 maybe even 70kt at Dublin Airport.

Unreal winds here in South Wexford. 500m from the coast.
    Just drove to the beach with the intention of walking the dog. Dog just gave me a "are you fücking mental?" look and refused to get out of the car! ��

Back in the house now and it sounds unreal. Rafters creaking with every gust. Full and heavy wheelie bin was blown over as was patio table.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

A bit windier now and that squall line is approaching fast :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

TheTorment wrote: »
    Unreal winds here in South Wexford. 500m from the coast.
    Just drove to the beach with the intention of walking the dog. Dog just gave me a "are you fücking mental?" look and refused to get out of the car! ��

Back in the house now and it sounds unreal. Rafters creaking with every gust. Full and heavy wheelie bin was blown over as was patio table.

Gotta agree with the dog here, you're one brave lad thinking about walking on the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Birtles

Think Siobhan Byrne is robbing your lines now on RTE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Excellent forecast from Siobhan there , she even mentioned the approaching squall line which will give local higher gusts. not to mention the red outfit to match the warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Surprised no sferics yet but maybe somebody could post the Icelandic link, I forgot to bookmark that one and resorted to meteociel which has nothing offshore recently.
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I'm in Dublin, any chance of serious crazy weather here? I'm hoping for it

• Advertisement

dublinjen wrote: »
    Gotta agree with the dog here, you're one brave lad thinking about walking on the beach!

Was going for a look at the sea more than anything....Was mental wild but invigorating!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

I don't want to frighten anyone but the night before Oiché na Gaoithe Moiré it snowed generally over ireland from the West.

*cue scary music*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Worth listening to Shannon on live ATC you will get the wind as they pass it on to incoming aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Seems most visible over West Clare at the moment.

335048.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Someone said a lull approaching the southwest what's that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just had another 90km/h Gust at my station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Does anyone else think that the 'Red Dress' on the RTE weather was kept for a 'red warning' ? ;)

And how many times was the word 'stormy' used?

Keep safe out there everyone! that squall looks fierce

Darn, Oscar Bravo in before me with the pun...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Someone said a lull approaching the southwest what's that ?

Will get calmer for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Very windy here in Dublin wasn't expecting it to be this windy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement