Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Massive gust just hit there, roof cracking and windows bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Looking well on Sat24

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Eased off after that squall line went through

2wguel1.png

26mm rainfall now ( over an inch )

High gust 80 kph here near Tralee

Bar 972.6mb Falling Rapidly

Temp which reached 11.2 at 18.05 has dropped back again to 7.3C

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Watching the latest satellite loop, the centre is now at 54N 14W and really not making much of a move north in the past three hours, motion has been barely north of due east. This could counteract the model depictions of a northward shift of the strongest winds. Certainly unfortunate that we don't have the M6 pressure readings but fairly soon this will be unfolding on radar and the strongest winds will hit the west coast around midnight on current indications. For the south coast, the event should soon begin to subside and the second (westerly) phase may only represent a slight increase. Will be taking a break until 2200h then posting an update around 2300h on forecast thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭D.Campbell

died down a bit now in cork city do you think this the end of it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...i'm over by Garryduff. It's mental outside now. Kids asking is the hurricane going to blow down the house. Some amount of rain also.

Ya I'm on a hilltop in East Cork - duing those manic gusts, I can feel the roof rafters flexing a little and it sounds like a jet engine screaming outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

There's my fence gone - flattened! (Ballincollig, Cork)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Think its strange here, the met ie radar has rain over me but not much rain all evening. Some savage wind here. I think the roads will be a mess by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

There's my fence gone - flattened! (Ballincollig, Cork)

The house is next!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

seanaway wrote: »
    Deffo safe. Light it and keep warm. You'll need it if the lekky goes out.
    Unless it's outdoors cause you'll catch ur death of cold :)

It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Be at least a few days till I can get up and clear it.

But by all means everyone else get ther fires going! I was looking forward to making tea on the fire if the power went :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Think its strange here, the met ie radar has rain over me but not much rain all evening. Some savage wind here. I think the roads will be a mess by morning.

Yep not much rain today where i am either, wind has picked up considerably as the evening has gone on

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

The house is next!:pac:

Touch wood (the flattened fence will do)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

A bit of a lull now will expect winds to pick up again around midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stormy conditions have now set in in Castlebar with frequent strong gusts. Clear spells and showers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

When was the last storm to reach over 150kmph?
    Where would Rachel compare to Hurricane Charlie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

RED L4 0TH wrote: »
    Belmullet now up by 1 mb at 7pm.

Down 1 again and back to 964 at 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,426 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

jimbis wrote: »
    It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Be at least a few days till I can get up and clear it.

But by all means everyone else get ther fires going! I was looking forward to making tea on the fire if the power went :p

Ah, be extremely careful if your chimney is blocked, Carbon monoxide can kill you very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

Tell your mother to look up carbon monoxide poisoning.
    It can happen if a bag is sucked up the chimney.
    Sorry dont know how to include a quote.

maybe open a window and let some air in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Pangea wrote: »

Dunno. They might make nice babies if they got it together ;);):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Feb 2014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Memories of last Winters storms here in Cork. The wind strength/gusts very much on a par with 12 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Darwin last Feb 2014
    8E1C1AB4853340E79FF8DA52D6B069C8-0000334566-0003716619-00800L-2A3A317F16584708A0232524F5F27EFB.jpg

How could one forget it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its the main news on the 6 one!!

And rte.ie currently doing live updates on the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Watching the latest satellite loop, the centre is now at 54N 14W and really not making much of a move north in the past three hours, motion has been barely north of due east. This could counteract the model depictions of a northward shift of the strongest winds. Certainly unfortunate that we don't have the M6 pressure readings but fairly soon this will be unfolding on radar and the strongest winds will hit the west coast around midnight on current indications. For the south coast, the event should soon begin to subside and the second (westerly) phase may only represent a slight increase. Will be taking a break until 2200h then posting an update around 2300h on forecast thread.

I have to say MT - your dedication to the cause is seriously impressive - And you don't even get to experience the events as we do, in situ. Thanks for all the updates and knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Well done MT you were way ahead of the posse on this storm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

That squall line is really beefing up as it heads east, some white colours in it on the net weather radar !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

thomasj wrote: »
    And rte.ie currently doing live updates on the storm.

I wonder how much they will take from this thread later on :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Think you may have meant Hurricane Debbie for the wind comparison? (1961) Well this may come fairly close but not quite that strong, Oneiric might have the map handy for Debbie, I can recall seeing max gusts in west-central counties something like 180 km/hr. Frankly, our only clues at this moment are indirect from satellite analysis, there are no working buoys and no ships in the strongest wind field and have been none since the storm fully developed. I think it's loaded for 150 km/hr gusts or higher (Mace Head at this point looking like the most likely place for the maximum to occur) but the possible range is 130-180. European countries should really collaborate and get a system of buoys out between 25W and 15W, or have some sort of mobile weather station (a ship is the word I am searching for) that can intercept these storms, but I guess the indirect method works well enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

That squall line is really beefing up as it heads east, some white colours in it on the net weather radar !

Gone very wild and squally outside now, some hailstones too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dollyk wrote: »
    Tell your mother to look up carbon monoxide poisoning.
    It can happen if a bag is sucked up the chimney.
    Sorry dont know how to include a quote.

maybe open a window and let some air in.

a crisp bag caused such a tragedy by getting caught in the chimney.

wind picking up in castlebar.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement