Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Mace head or Malin head Mt? I only ask as you had Malin head pronged for the highest gust in your earlier post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Winds have abated here in kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Pangea wrote: »
    When was the last storm to reach over 150kmph?
    Where would Rachel compare to Hurricane Charlie?

For the NW, the storm of Jan 03, 2012 would have been more significant than the storm of Feb 2014.

This is from Met Eireann in their provisional report on that storm:

"At approximately 5.40 this morning, Jan 3, 2012, our station in Malin head recorded a 10-minute mean windspeed of 68 kts (78 mph, 126 km/hr, 35 m/s). This exceeds the previous record for Malin Head of 67 kts, recorded 26 Dec, 1998. The national 10-minute mean wind speed record of 71kts was recorded at Foynes, Co. Limerick on 18th January 1945.

The station also recorded a gust of 91 kts around the same time, however this does not exceed the Malin Head record of 98 kts, recorded in September 16, 1961".

5JT9mP.png

Chart & text from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

Nice lull in North Cork now, took the dog out as she was staring at me, starting pouring rain again while we were out, of course she wanted to turn around then! Squally again now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

According to a family member living in Skibbereen, winds have abated there too! Why is this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Keep video update from MT

he sounds worried!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

irishgeo wrote: »
    a crisp bag caused such a tragedy by getting caught in the chim

Aw I know, Im waiting to see if he replys. Just learned how to quote.

Im in Louth. whats the worse for here does anyone know.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wtd2008

Some schools closed in Galway due to alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Wind picking up again on the Mayo coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Think you may have meant Hurricane Debbie for the wind comparison? (1961)

Thanks, A relative asked me where would it compare to hurricane Charlie so thought id ask. Just reading up on Debbie here, must of been scary. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

jimbis wrote: »
    It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Be at least a few days till I can get up and clear it.

But by all means everyone else get ther fires going! I was looking forward to making tea on the fire if the power went :p

Smoke is the least of your worries.... Vacate that room immediately. Carbon monoxide killed a family in Sligo a couple of years ago. Cause? A crisp bag blocked the chimney.. Be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Wind picking up again on the Mayo coast.

Same around Newport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lumos

Dead here in Tipp, howling winds and driving rain for a couple of hours. Seems to have completely calmed. Wind and rain are still there but nothing unusual about it. Calm before the storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Not bad at all here in Galway west.
    I can even see lots of stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

Dont forget to tune into my liveatc feed here: http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

And Flight radar here : http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN213/545f938

Thanks, just over 200 listeners on my feed at the moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Mech1 wrote: »
    Dont forget to tune into my liveatc feed here: http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw

And Flight radar here : http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN213/545f938

Thanks, just over 200 listeners on my feed at the moment!

Ive been listening to this since earlier on its quiet good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭riaganach

Think that's the worst of it for Cork city I think.

Cork Airport 20.30 actual says:

230at28, (direction 230 degrees, speed 28 knots) gusting to 38 knots.

And the forecast says becoming (between 19:00 and 22:00) 240at25 gusting to a mere 40 knots!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

After a wild few hours, it's now died down somewhat in Cork harbour. AFAIK that's the worst over for us - thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

i've heard something out back rattle around here in cork city in the last hour or two which have scared me. honestly worried about my back garden is gonna look in the morning

hollster2 wrote: »
    Ive been listening to this since earlier on its quiet good!

Yeah a few go arounds they are so professional and unfluttered at the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Strongest winds of the night so far here in Wexford last hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Its wild in Terenure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    For the NW, the storm of Jan 03, 2012 would have been more significant than the storm of Feb 2014.

This is from Met Eireann in their provisional report on that storm:

"At approximately 5.40 this morning, Jan 3, 2012, our station in Malin head recorded a 10-minute mean windspeed of 68 kts (78 mph, 126 km/hr, 35 m/s). This exceeds the previous record for Malin Head of 67 kts, recorded 26 Dec, 1998. The national 10-minute mean wind speed record of 71kts was recorded at Foynes, Co. Limerick on 18th January 1945.

The station also recorded a gust of 91 kts around the same time, however this does not exceed the Malin Head record of 98 kts, recorded in September 16, 1961".

Chart & text from Met Eireann.

An often forgotten storm that one, I remember it well as it flattened three trees and the fence in my garden including a 30ft conifer that narrowly missed the house but it's rarely quoted when talking about severe storms

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Wind picking up again after short lull South of Cork city?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    i've heard something out back rattle around here in cork city in the last hour or two which have scared me. honestly worried about my back garden is gonna look in the morning

I don't want to alarm you but it could be the boogeyman...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

we had power cut here in D15 fo about 10 mins.

luckily I keep candles handy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Comments on Aircraft movements here please : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93843521#post93843521

Comments on the feed content here please : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93843553#post93843553

Im grateful for your listening but I dont wanna clog up your weather thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

zerks wrote: »
    Probably safer on the motorway,no large trees on the roadside that may fall.Just be aware of crosswinds and you should be ok.

I had to drive on rural roads during last February's storm and that was an experience,although I did pass an eejit out walking his dog.

Rural roads in a storm are something I now avoid :)

The trip went alright, the winds were a bit of a problem and the visibility was poor a hell of a lot of the time, a truck didn't see me and almost put me off the road, but made it there, waited for the delayed flight and made it back safely so no complaints

It is very rough coming through Kildare/Carlow, seems to be picking up a lot more in Waterford now too

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement