Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Strongest winds of the night so far here in Wexford last hour or so.

Yes, just went out to turn a rattling wheelie bin on its side so it wouldn't blow over and I nearly got blown over here in Wexford Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Not to bad yet in South Donegal. Some severe gusts but nothing that we don't get several times per winter. I believe it's later tonight it will hit hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Red Alert is gone from ME site?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Steopo

Expect there'll be a bit of reaction on here when that squall line passes over Dublin in next 30 to 45 mins. Do love those squalls before the lull before the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Is Donegal going to escape the worst of it, only mentioned yellow alert for rainfall now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Satt pic @ 1815z

ir_ICAO-H_bw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Itsdacraic wrote: »

no its not,

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with gusts of 130 to 150km/h possible. The strongest winds will be along exposed coasts and mountainous areas.

Issued:Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00
    Valid:Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 14:00

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Probably just updating

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Ark rose glenn

Most of dublin15 had a power cut but the other half was grand tank god... Let's see how the rest of the evening pans out 😱😱😂

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Mother has to drive to work in town (from Howth) at 10pm, would it be safer to leave now before squall hits?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

seems to be calming down here, temps now also at their mildest at 10C. The air is already starting to cool down in the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

No it isn't !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2000 update
    National Weather Warnings

STATUS RED

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Mean speeds in excess of 80 km/h with gusts of 130 to 150km/h possible. The strongest winds will be along exposed coasts and mountainous areas.
    Issued:
    Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 14 January 2015 20:00 to Thursday 15 January 2015 14:00

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

Still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭sjb25

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Yes, just went out to turn a rattling wheelie bin on its side so it wouldn't blow over and I nearly got blown over here in Wexford Town.

Lights flickering in ferns now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Cork now part of red alert? M.E. obv updated it

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

jimbis wrote: »
    It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Be at least a few days till I can get up and clear it.

But by all means everyone else get ther fires going! I was looking forward to making tea on the fire if the power went :p

You were lucky! Not wanting to scare monger but it could have been much worse. Never, ever just throw bags on a fire.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/crisp-bag-in-chimney-blamed-for-fumes-that-killed-dad-and-children-26806224.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

gusting 57kt at Dublin Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

They added in Cork :P

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

The lull in Galway city has ended in the last while,picking up again and battering my south facing windows right now.Its expected to turn more to westerly winds later so maybe I wont hear it as much later.
    On the met.ie website where is the station that measures wind speeds for Galway? Is it in the city(NUIG) or out at Mace Head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cork has now been added to the warning! That 79 knot gust got us upgraded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

savj2 wrote: »
    Still there.

It's back!

It was definitely gone for a couple of minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

Red back up again on ME

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Aiel wrote: »
    On the met.ie website where is the station that measures wind speeds for Galway? Is it in the city(NUIG) or out at Mace Head?

that one referenced by MÉ is on Mace Head but there is one in NUIG... weather.nuigalway.ie/
    there's 12-hour trends on the left

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Lights flickering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

jimbis wrote: »
    It's was just our luck that for the first time ever our chimney sucked up a plastic bag that was thrown on the fire (blame the mother), got caught in the chimney guard and blocked it up. House full of smoke and no fire now if the power goes :(

Same thing just happened to me just there I didnt win the lotto:mad: so i threw it in anger at the fire and it flew up the chimney.....now im going to die from carbon monoxide poison what good luck i have:pac:

Lucky it fell back down there a minute ago:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Bit strange cork added at this late stage. Is this storm further south than envisaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Waited for the squall (Carlow)but the winds didn't seem to gain any force from earlier.

Also the wind seems to be very high up.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Think its strange here, the met ie radar has rain over me but not much rain all evening. Some savage wind here. I think the roads will be a mess by morning.

Now it's raining. Lashing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Waited for the squall (Carlow)but the winds didn't seem to gain any force from earlier.

Also the wind seems to be very high up.

Its been very bad here in Tinahely gusts feel like the roof was going to come off!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement