Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Thatll be the low air pressure + the heat lads, dont do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Quick update from NW Clare. Just returned from work and the roads are very bad. The rain has passed but all the roads are like rivers with the volume of water flowing on to them from the land. Many are now flooded as well so it makes driving difficult.

For those interested here is link to webcam at Lahinch. Not too bad but high tide is not for another 3 hours. http://oceanscene.ie/lahinch-webcam/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

hollster2 wrote: »
    Its been very bad here in Tinahely gusts feel like the roof was going to come off!

Have you had much rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

European countries should really collaborate and get a system of buoys out between 25W and 15W.

Totally agree,they have been going on & off like light-bulbs for a long time,very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Just been for a walk by the sea West of Galway. Sea is not exceptional. Max gust on my handheld was 40 mph

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

RoisinD wrote: »
    Quick update from NW Clare. Just returned from work and the roads are very bad. The rain has passed but all the roads are like rivers with the volume of water flowing on to them from the land. Many are now flooded as well so it makes driving difficult.

For those interested here is link to webcam at Lahinch. Not too bad but high tide is not for another 3 hours. http://oceanscene.ie/lahinch-webcam/

The camera has reached it's maximum number of viewers, gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Gone remarkably calm here in West Cork. Will the winds be any worse than they were earlier - just noticed the inclusion of Cork in the Red zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hoping to drive from Dublin to Meath, is the M3 manageable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Have you had much rain?

Yes its like someones got a powerwasher at my windows :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Bit strange cork added at this late stage. Is this storm further south than envisaged?

May have been retroactive due to the strong gust at Cork Airport earlier. I don't see how the low could be so far south that it puts Cork in the firing line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

May have been retroactive due to the strong gust at Cork Airport earlier. I don't see how the low could be so far south that it puts Cork in the firing line.

Something they do a lot!
    Cork calm now but sting in tail later tonight I'd say

Yes its like someones got a powerwasher at my windows :(

That's really weird. I've had very little rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

The Peanut wrote: »
    Gone remarkably calm here in West Cork. Will the winds be any worse than they were earlier - just noticed the inclusion of Cork in the Red zone.

Wish i could say the same about macroom....its howling again after a 10min lul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Super-Rush wrote: »
    That's really weird. I've had very little rain.

Im quite high up where I am that might contribute to it maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 GreyRock Lass

Winds picking up again....torrential rain earlier here in North Clare, had a swimming pool out on the driveway & further down the road the river has flooded out onto the road.....schools closed tomorrow.... It's gonna be a long nite....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Galway howling away. Startin to pick up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

aisling86 wrote: »
    Wish i could say the same about macroom....its howling again after a 10min lul

Funny how localised it can be. I'm only about 25 mins south of Macroom and quite high up and it's calm here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Wild night here in Dublin. Miserable outdoors. Got soaked walking. But nothing that exceptional. Seems a little less stormy than earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Dublin 9, getting really hammered atm. Wilder than I have heard most of the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

To be honest I'd say some lad in met Eireann looked at every county on the west coast and added them in! Even Leitrim's tiny one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Went for a walk with the dog, it started off nice but then the wind really picked up and was nearly howling "Go home now!" to me.
    Galway West. I think we are in for a big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Think you may have meant Hurricane Debbie for the wind comparison? (1961) Well this may come fairly close but not quite that strong, Oneiric might have the map handy for Debbie, I can recall seeing max gusts in west-central counties something like 180 km/hr.

Gust recorded during Debbie, September 16th 1961.

335062.png

Image from UK Met Office.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Calina wrote: »
    Dublin 9, getting really hammered atm. Wilder than I have heard most of the evening.

same here in dublin 24 firhouse guess the squall line passing through now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Bit windy and rainy in Cork City.... but that's all.

Im quite high up where I am that might contribute to it maybe?

I'm 200m asl. You're making up for lack.of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

A good bit less windier here now that the rain has passed, nothing other then a typical winters night for me....so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

Wow. Hurricane Debbie was actually a hurricane ( unlike Charlie).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Akrasia wrote: »
    Ah, be extremely careful if your chimney is blocked, Carbon monoxide can kill you very quickly!
    dollyk wrote: »
    Tell your mother to look up carbon monoxide poisoning.
    It can happen if a bag is sucked up the chimney.
    Sorry dont know how to include a quote.

maybe open a window and let some air in.

Just to update everyone on my blocked chimney issue, we're all still alive and well;). Freezing from all the windows and doors open (and no fire) but I think that's better than the other outcome if we didn't....:eek:

A little shocked I even got pm's to make sure everything was okay, yous are all great people ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Vivienne23

In west limerick not anything major at the moment few gusts but nothing to worry about !

Is it going to be worth staying awake for ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

lights dimming-castlebar

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement