Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Has the worst passed for the South East area?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

Has been quiet here for the past hour in Sligo

Is this 'the calm before the storm'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

cyclops999 wrote: »
    M4 bouy 952.8 hPa

I read 958.2 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

For the newcomers,
    http://www.liveatc.net/search/?icao=eidw
    Dublin airport live ATC Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭dublinjen

Wish people would take head of the warnings in place. It's really frighting seeing people say theyre going out for walks in red/orange level warning weather. None of us want to wake up to any fatality/injury stories tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Think you may have meant Hurricane Debbie for the wind comparison? (1961) Well this may come fairly close but not quite that strong, Oneiric might have the map handy for Debbie, I can recall seeing max gusts in west-central counties something like 180 km/hr. Frankly, our only clues at this moment are indirect from satellite analysis, there are no working buoys and no ships in the strongest wind field and have been none since the storm fully developed. I think it's loaded for 150 km/hr gusts or higher (Mace Head at this point looking like the most likely place for the maximum to occur) but the possible range is 130-180. European countries should really collaborate and get a system of buoys out between 25W and 15W, or have some sort of mobile weather station (a ship is the word I am searching for) that can intercept these storms, but I guess the indirect method works well enough.

I remember Debbie Sept 61

Trees around UCG being blown over.

Later out in Salthill large chunks of prom blown up on road

Flooding Grattan road, to half way up Dominick St

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Toxica

dublinjen wrote: »
    Wish people would take head of the warnings in place. It's really frighting seeing people say theyre going out for walks in red/orange level warning weather. None of us want to wake up to any fatality/injury stories tomorrow!

I went for a walk earlier but I'm well inland and it was during the lull. I don't want to get flattened by a falling tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

irishgeo wrote: »
    not in my house, im out the westport rd

Not in my house either, Rathbaun side.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

serious gusts here in kerry,wicked hail showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

Gone very quiet compared to earlier in Dungarvan. Had to do a pick up an hour and a half ago and couldn't see through the windscreen even with wipers full tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭rsl1976

Just saw on RTE's live updates that a lamp post is down at the waterside in Waterford. Would have to be a pretty strong wind to blow that down?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Toxica wrote: »
    I went for a walk earlier but I'm well inland and it was during the lull. I don't want to get flattened by a falling tree.

I'm just back from a walk with the dog. I waited until the squall line was almost overhead so I could be out in it as it pass through. For science like.
    I did stay away from trees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Constant howling here, it begins?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Eased off in Enniscorthy but is it just temporary :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Nothing to write home about all day in Dublin. It was quite windy and was lashing earlier this evening. It's a little windy now, but I have heard much, MUCH worse!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

NATLOR wrote: »
    Eased off in Enniscorthy but is it just temporary :confused:

The reason it has is because of your location, the storm is not going to hit your location hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Blarney, Co Cork - so quiet out there you could hear a wheelie bin move. Wheelie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Starting to pick up in Dublin now, very windy with rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Clear starry night now in Waterford, gusts dropped back to 40 knots. Still 9c but dew point dropped 5 degrees with clearance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

Very loud howling sound from outside now in west dublin. Will it get bad during the night here ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭writer_lady170

bit blustery with howling wind and some rain

Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭seanaway

rsl1976 wrote: »
    Just saw on RTE's live updates that a lamp post is down at the waterside in Waterford. Would have to be a pretty strong wind to blow that down?
    Probably one of the original gas ones from the gas works :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Lads is there any chances of this continuing over Friday, really would be happy with a day off on Friday as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

The waiting is killing me. Just the usual wild Atlantic night so far

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

1065 Active Users. Not bad for a Wednesday night!

[IMG][/img]FE4F7EC0F9E746B4841948A6C7E17ABF-0000372768-0003716633-00751L-D076B1B8F8FE49D6BDF33CA6B8DF8D6E.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

bit blustery with howling wind and some rain

Tipperary

Big county.

North, South, East, West, Mid?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It looks like the worst of it is over here in Waterford City. Max gust was 94.4km/h recorded at 19.00. After a high temp of 10.3c at 20.45 it has plunged to 7.1c with wind currently gusting to 40km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

This is how it's sounding at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

It looks like the worst of it is over here in Waterford City. Max gust was 94.4km/h recorded at 19.00. After a high temp of 10.3c at 20.45 it has plunged to 7.1c with wind currently gusting to 40km/h

www.waterfordcityweather.com

Would that be a sign of it calming for the south in general? Very quiet in Cork

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement