Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

oops, first real letterbox bang and clatter here:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Showers have started which is increasing the winds further,ferocious gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

guys is MTC forecast thread acting up for anyone else lately ? I can see there is a new post but when I click on it or the time of post it brings me onto the thread but an older page and can't see new post ! this is happening a lot . its the only thread it happens on ????
    could someone post the update here please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

MT has posted an update in the Daily Forecast thread (@ 22.55)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Windy here now but not much rain in past while.
    I am surprised that the schools are off.
    I think it's more a case of January blues than Rachel.
    Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Interesting HIRLAM. Main circulation is off the Hebrides by midday. However a secondary center is now just off the north coast, which helps to keep the gradient tight over the northern part of Ireland.

http://www.ilmateenistus.ee/ilm/prognoosid/mudelprognoosid/euroopa/?lang=en#layers/temp2mv2,tuul10ms,tuul10mb,presmslp,presmslv

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A possible sting jet into Mayo after....its gonna be up with the big ones for Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Supercell wrote: »
    Looking at the latest Dublin Airport TAF it seems like things are not going to be at their peak until 13:00 to 18:00 tomorrow afternoon (in Dublin). This is going to be one long lasting event.

Ah so my wife's chance of her flight departing from there at 12:45pm on time are slim enough? Its not the flight itself, more that she only has an hour or so to transfer to another one when the flight arrives in Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

weisses wrote: »
    Most of it should have past for the southwest ... Cannot see anything more severe then what is already past over

i am in south west coast and we have had a little bit of wind but not to be concerned about, right on the coast

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

D.Campbell wrote: »
    I really hope your right but something is stirring out there

Ohhhhhhh it's out there ...... Luckily a bit to the North

It will be windy enough here but nothing major ...... Probably some more wind tomorrow morning

• Advertisement

Galway.

not all schools are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Very windy in Westport

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

5C here in SW Donegal, rain is falling. Winds are increasing, no creaks in the house or anything like that yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks like it will be an unusually protracted period of intense winds in the north-west with that bent-back occlusion just rolling through, that could increase the risk of damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

irishgeo wrote: »
    any of the castlebar lads know anything about this?

the n60 was practically a river at about 6ish around balla.

Just Spot flooding everywhere from the snowmelt and rain, mention on @AARoadwatch about around castlebar in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

goat2 wrote: »
    i am in south west coast and we have had a little bit of wind but not to be concerned about, right on the coast

Yeah same here ..quite windy but nothing major .... The North and northwest are getting most of the bad storms so far this year

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

Galway.

Well rather than blaming the teachers for once, it should be pointed out that it was the Dept of Education who issued the instruction for schools in counties with a red warning not to open tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

A possible sting jet into Mayo after....its gonna be up with the big ones for Mayo

Thanks. Hope the worst it causes is a few power outages.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

weisses wrote: »
    Most of it should have past for the southwest ... Cannot see anything more severe then what is already past over

Its definitely kicking again in mid cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

Still nothing major in South Donegal. I am beginning to think that maybe we won't get hit as hard as feared. I will be pleased if it does miss us. I no fan of storms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Duff

Wind is pretty crazy here in Dundalk. The shed roof is showing worrying signs of liberty.

Well rather than blaming the teachers for once, it should be pointed out that it was the Dept of Education who issued the instruction for schools in counties with a red warning not to open tomorrow.

and not all schools are closing !
    can someone please post MTC update
    that thread won't open properly for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

legomaniac wrote: »
    Still nothing major in South Donegal. I am beginning to think that maybe we won't get hit as hard as feared. I will be pleased if it does miss us. I no fan of storms.

Its gonna hit you tomorrow morning, anytime after 6.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

km79 wrote: »

UPDATE _ Wed 14 Jan 2015 _ 10:55 pm **** edit posted below in other posts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

not all schools are

We got a late message to say our kids school is closed tomorrow.I'm fairly close to you, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

No wind in Dublin just yet, much quieter than usual, but things should pick up once I down that curry and slab of Druids.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

UPDATE _ Wed 14 Jan 2015 _ 10:55 pm

The low continues to deepen as it moves past Donegal Bay, and will eventually reach 940-945 mbs. But the strongest winds are in a band between 955 and 975 mbs and almost all of that will be over Ireland tonight and Thursday morning. Direction of the strongest winds will veer gradually from southwest to west during the next 12 to 18 hours. As they move around to westerly, there may be a peak for Galway Bay due to topographic channelling.

No significant changes in forecast, the strongest winds of the storm are about to reach the west coast and these should peak around 0300 to 0900 hours with sustained winds of 90-100 km/hr gusting to 150 km/hr in exposed locations (possibly 160). This will gradually reduce to 80-130 km/hr through the central counties and inland Ulster towards the east coast. All of these regions will see squally showers of rain and hail, snow only falling late in the windy period on highest elevations in Connacht and west Ulster.

Meanwhile the south coast will see a second round of strong wind gusts during the overnight hours, probably not quite reaching the same intensity as earlier today, but close to that, 80-120 km/hr.

Parts of west Munster will become cold enough for sleet or snow by morning, as cold air makes its most direct approach from the southwest. Temperatures further north will stay above 4 C until late Thursday, but in higher parts of west Munster they will fall to 1-2 C and if snow falls then there may not be much recovery during the daytime hours. Dublin and most of Leinster will see temperatures near 6 or 7 C most of the day with passing squally showers.

Check the storm discussion thread for any further updates before the morning forecast at 0630h.

hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

snip: see above

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

UPDATE _ Wed 14 Jan 2015 _ 10:55 pm

The low continues to deepen as it moves past Donegal Bay, and will eventually reach 940-945 mbs. But the strongest winds are in a band between 955 and 975 mbs and almost all of that will be over Ireland tonight and Thursday morning. Direction of the strongest winds will veer gradually from southwest to west during the next 12 to 18 hours. As they move around to westerly, there may be a peak for Galway Bay due to topographic channelling.

No significant changes in forecast, the strongest winds of the storm are about to reach the west coast and these should peak around 0300 to 0900 hours with sustained winds of 90-100 km/hr gusting to 150 km/hr in exposed locations (possibly 160). This will gradually reduce to 80-130 km/hr through the central counties and inland Ulster towards the east coast. All of these regions will see squally showers of rain and hail, snow only falling late in the windy period on highest elevations in Connacht and west Ulster.

Meanwhile the south coast will see a second round of strong wind gusts during the overnight hours, probably not quite reaching the same intensity as earlier today, but close to that, 80-120 km/hr.

Parts of west Munster will become cold enough for sleet or snow by morning, as cold air makes its most direct approach from the southwest. Temperatures further north will stay above 4 C until late Thursday, but in higher parts of west Munster they will fall to 1-2 C and if snow falls then there may not be much recovery during the daytime hours. Dublin and most of Leinster will see temperatures near 6 or 7 C most of the day with passing squally showers.

Check the storm discussion thread for any further updates before the morning forecast at 0630h

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Had to post this It made me giggle!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement