Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

We got a late message to our kids school is closed tomorrow.I'm fairly close to you, I think.

schools in athenry open I think anyway
    you are craughwell?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

should have kept my mouth shut,
    it is starting up here now, some heavy rain and wind hitting window right now

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

BBC NI weather predicting 70 -90mph gusts on North and east coast tomorrow morning. NIE engineers on standby as expecting powerloss

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

hollster2 wrote: »
    Had to post this It made me giggle!

Too soon :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Ah so my wife's chance of her flight departing from there at 12:45pm on time are slim enough? Its not the flight itself, more that she only has an hour or so to transfer to another one when the flight arrives in Frankfurt.

Flight departures shouldn't really be affected by winds. Its the incoming flight on which you wife will be taking back out of dublin that could effect times. If that's delayed coming in then turn around time is pushed back so keep you eyes on that. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

km79 wrote: »
    schools in athenry open I think anyway
    you are craughwell?

No, some are closed in Athenry.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

We got a late message to say our kids school is closed tomorrow.I'm fairly close to you, I think.

We're in Limerick City and we got a text a short while ago to say that our local school is closed tomorrow on Health and Safety grounds.

At the moment, its not too bad here at all.

We were up in Meath last Thursday and Friday night, and the weather was much much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

It amazes me that there is anything left to damage any more O_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

No, some are closed in Athenry.

oh! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aroch10

I am currently doing a dissertation on Dry Flood Proofing / Flood Resistance to residential properties. If anyone knows of any areas badly effected by flooding, more information would be greatly appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2300 reports, Belmullet 65 knots and steadying out at 961hpa. Kinsale 62knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭Mech1

I read somewhere today that if a school is in a Red Warning area then school is obliged to close.

Dont know how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lumos

I know that some people think that closing schools is an overreaction, and it might be. But it's worth considering how many kids and parents were put in danger in the 12th Feb storm last year due to severe under reaction. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think they made the right call.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Mech1 wrote: »
    I read somewhere today that if a school is in a Red Warning area then schools are obliged to close.

Should apply for businesses as well :p

Shows why ME are not throwing around red warnings like candy ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

lumos wrote: »
    I know that some people think that closing schools is an overreaction, and it might be. But it's worth considering how many kids and parents were put in danger in the 12th Feb storm last year due to severe under reaction. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think they made the right call.

I agree I dont drive and theres loads of oak tress around where I am I wouldnt like to put my kids in danger walking to school, Im glad some are closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 lumos

Mech1 wrote: »
    I read somewhere today that if a school is in a Red Warning area then school is obliged to close.

They aren't obliged, it's up to individual principals to make the call. The vast majority are closing though with others playing it by ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

"Waves "topping" along Seapoint Promenade in Salthill 45 mins before high tide. Getting decidedly wild here now."

-via Twitter @patmcgrath

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

absolutely better safe than sorry, but I wouldn't be sending a child of mine outside the door . don't mess with mother nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Bicycle wrote: »
    We're in Limerick City and we got a text a short while ago to say that our local school is closed tomorrow on Health and Safety grounds.

At the moment, its not too bad here at all.

We were up in Meath last Thursday and Friday night, and the weather was much much worse.

Met Eireann say Limerick will see the worst of it early tomorrow morning between 7-9

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Wasn't a roof blown off a school building last year approaching the time of end school, if a red alert is issued that states people should should take action than the DoE is right in closing schools

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

18Z EURO4. Extent of 100 kmh wind field off the NW coast appears to be at its largest around 3am.

15011503_2_1418.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

over 2000 without power at this early stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Dublin never gets to have any of the fun :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The biggest issue is that schools and other buildings need to be checked over before bringing people back in. There's a fair possibility of loose roofing materials and other items and you don't really want that tumbling down on kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Of course they made the right call and anybody who questions that is an idiot.

Would it be an over-reaction if a freak gust knocked down a tree tomorrow and killed 3 people when it hits there car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Glad I sleep at the bank of the house in Castlebar. Although i grew grownbeside the Atlantic I have slept through worse and now I can sleep through almost anything.
    If it wakes me its real bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Bicycle wrote: »

Really, we didnt notice, then again we are a hardy lot us Meath folk. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

We still have to go to work in the morning though?
    Will any boss buy that excuse

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement