Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Any chance of school being closed on friday, weather still continuing to be bad or not over Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

We are the windiest place on earth right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

lumos wrote: »
    They aren't obliged, it's up to individual principals to make the call. The vast majority are closing though with others playing it by ear.

http://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2015-Press-Releases/PR15-01-14.html

This is the advice from the Department, they are advised to close. I'd be surprised if many opened.

Anyway lets get back to the forecasting. It's still kinda calm in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Aoife9

Picking up a bit here now in Donegal gusts are quite strong and its lashing rain, my poor sister is due into Dublin from Chicago tomorrow morning at 9am! I've a feeling she will be very delayed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭savj2

We are the windiest place on earth right now.

There is a severe tropical cyclone off Mauritius. Maybe 2nd windiest place on earth. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Dublin never gets to have any of the fun :(

I live in Galway city, its not very exciting really. Just lots of wind and a bit of rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Gusts really picking up here again after a 4 hour lull.
    South east Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

lumos wrote: »
    I know that some people think that closing schools is an overreaction, and it might be. But it's worth considering how many kids and parents were put in danger in the 12th Feb storm last year due to severe under reaction. It's better to be safe than sorry, I think they made the right call.

Absolutely not. I wish they had closed the schools last February.

I had a husband stuck at work - they were on lock-down. I had a daughter on the other side of the city and the school were sending children home. And my son was in a school near me. Due to fallen trees, I could not get out of the area to pick up my daughter and my husband was only allowed out of work when they deemed the building he was in too dangerous to stay in. I was able to pick my son up from school but that was only by taking a very long route to avoid the multiple fallen trees in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Any chance of school being closed on friday, weather still continuing to be bad or not over Limerick.

lol looking for a long weekend. school open Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

savj2 wrote: »
    There is a severe tropical cyclone off Mauritius. Maybe 2nd windiest place on earth. :P

Feckin' Martians, taking all our winds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

pushkii wrote: »
    absolutely better safe than sorry, but I wouldn't be sending a child of mine outside the door . don't mess with mother nature.

Completely agree. We will be making choc chip/hazelnut cookies and watching frozen safely from inside our house tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭thomil

I don't know about you guys, but the calm in Cork city is making me uneasy. It is too quiet...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭coillsaille

We still have to go to work in the morning though?
    Will any boss buy that excuse

Sure you're down on the farm, you’re your own boss

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I was brought up on the shores of Clew Bay and I've had bad winds, but usually its the gusts which were the worst, at this present time, i went out to move the cars to the sheltered side of the car.
    I can safely say I couldn't breathe and walk into the wind, unrelenting wind. Never come across that. And the driving hail with it, has really but the sh!T up me now if they are saying this will peak at 7am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Water vapour image at 11pm. Occlusion beginning to etch into NW coastal counties. Looks quite fragmented, at least in the first part of its arm with what looks like small pockets of convection.

335090.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭brevity

thomil wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but the calm in Cork city is making me uneasy. It is too quiet...

Is there supposed to be more in Cork later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

Really hope I sleep through this, electricity is starting to flicker already. We already have really bad snow up here so hopefully it doesn't do too much damage on top of that. Stay safe people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭squarecircles

My walls are vibrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

thomil wrote: »

I'm just waiting for a massive blast of thunder and a huge gust of wind to blow the shed roof off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Lights flickering in Castlebar as well, here comes Rachel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

yop wrote: »
    I was brought up on the shores of Clew Bay and I've had bad winds, but usually its the gusts which were the worst, at this present time, i went out to move the cars to the sheltered side of the car.
    I can safely say I couldn't breathe and walk into the wind, unrelenting wind. Never come across that. And the driving hail with it, has really but the sh!T up me now if they are saying this will peak at 7am.

I think its 7am peak for lower half of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Lights flickering in Castlebar as well, here comes Rachel!

It really picked up there for about 10 mins. Little calmer now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,425 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

We still have to go to work in the morning though?
    Will any boss buy that excuse

i'm not risking my life to get to work, I'll be a few hours late and work back the hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Can we have another tread for those who want to discuss the school closure?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

yop wrote: »

Can you check if the building on Inishraher is ok? Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Nothing in North Meath, no rain and no wind.

Where is Rachel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Bootros Bootros

savj2 wrote: »

Well the wind radar makes the Atlantic storm look much fiercer. I can't post links to prove that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

My walls are vibrating!

Any more video updates? Probably a bit too dangerous atm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Is this going to get wildish in south Ulster at any stage? Cavan town is quietish. Nothing much atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The very latest from met eireann coming up at 2355 on rte radio 1 or just flick sky to channel 0160

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement