Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong Winds/Severe Gusts January 14/15th 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Rain turning to sleet now in dingle and temp 2.5c.
    Probably snow on conor pass.
    wet snow now

@countykerry: Road conditions on top of Conor Pass are poor. Kerry County Council advising traffic avoid and to use alternative route

m.twitter.com/countykerry

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

As bad here now in Kerry as it has been at any time last night,savage gusts.driving rain and sleet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭clownface95

Limerick southwest was fairly untouched with this storm , yesterday evening from 6-8pm were the strongest winds , But nothing compared to last year . Today fairly dirty and blustery but nothing out of the ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

14murphy wrote: »
    Currently sitting in amsterdam airport. You guys are really not making me feel comfortable about flying into dublin.

Why nothing to worry about you could play badminton outside its that calm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

kmoneill wrote: »
    As bad here now in Kerry as it has been at any time last night,savage gusts.driving rain and sleet

Aye ! It is Grim !

A great excuse for a duvet day ! Bliss !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/01/14/met-eireann-issues-status-countrys-****ed-lads-weather-warning/
    IRISH national meteorological service, Met Éireann, has just issued a status ‘Country’s ****ed Lads’ weather warning – its highest level ever recorded.
    The latest alerts came as motorists were advised to take extra care with the high winds and icy roads in a number of areas around the country.
    Extreme Wintry, thundery showers of hail, sleet and snow are expected from the sky direction, with snow accumulations of a whopping 4-8 cm.
    The country’s ****ed lads warnings from Met Éireann are relatively rare.
    “We’re just ****ing ****ed lads,” warned meteorologist, Nuala Carey. “No, seriously, we’re bolloxed. Best kiss everyone you know goodbye. Just pray it’s quick and painless”.
    AA Roadwatch says extreme caution is needed and is advising motorists to not close their eyes while driving and to make sure to allow at least an extra week or two to reach their destinations.
    “If you become trapped in your car, we advise to curl up into the fetal position and breathe in shallow, whimpering breaths”.
    Gardaí advised motorists to drive as fast as they can through any flood they may come across in a bid to “skim” the car over the floods.
    Bus Éireann says there are delays on all its routes, but this is to be expected from a mediocre service that charges extortionate fees from their customers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Rain turning to sleet now in dingle and temp 2.5c.
    Probably snow on conor pass.
    wet snow now

Reminds me of driving the Conor in ice. There was a sign up at the Dingle end saying ICE TURN BACK but all the car were ignoring it so I followed .. It was......... interesting and all I could think was what my family would say if I crashed as I have been told again and again about taking risks. There wasnt even a view as it was foggy and the road down was..... well at least I met no one.... Still icy rain here in South Kerry mountains... I love the Dingle run. If I were not still trading etc would love to move there.

I cannot laugh as in places it is too near the truth and reality for safety and sanity. :) A wry smile!

Aye ! It is Grim !

A great excuse for a duvet day ! Bliss !

A duvet night now..... safe upstairs in trust the winds will ease...bliss indeed.. Tralee all safe? I am marooned up here now!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Anyone go to the Top of Kippure during the past 2 days?

• Advertisement

weisses wrote: »
    You should be fine tonight ....

Thanks and met say so too...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Connemara Farmer

Newstalk reported that Mace head had recorded 120kmh gusts, I'm about 5 miles from there and while it was windy I didn't think it was as bad as made out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not even windy in west Clare, yet we are on an orange wind warning.

Schools closed and all, it wasn't even that windy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Storm 10 wrote: »

And sometimes they under do it. Would they like to tell us which is which next time?

Limerick in an orange alert:
    http://www.thejournal.ie/storms-are-...12883-Feb2014/
    (Feb 12 2014)

Limerick in a red alert:
    Limerick City and County Council issued a statement that, "no significant incidents have been reported as a result of Storm Rachel", and that "no emergency calls were received".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Last February we were on an orange warning until the storms worst had past, it then turned red. There was significantly more damage then.

Overdoing it is better than underdoing it. "Its better to be safe than sorry"

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Last February we were on an orange warning until the storms worst had past, it then turned red. There was significantly more damage then.

Much of it goes back to the Michael Fish fiasco although most here are too young to remember that? NO WIND he averred on UK weather... NO WIND... and there came a hurricane. BBC were never allowed to forget that

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Graces7 wrote: »
    Much of it goes back to the Michael Fish fiasco although most here are too young to remember that? NO WIND he averred on UK weather... NO WIND... and there came a hurricane. BBC were never allowed to forget that

There was no hurricane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It's better to be consistent than random...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

There is no Strong wind in North Leinster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

seems the north was hit fairly badly:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-30826662

Also a mention of tornadoes in england in the journal article:

http://www.thejournal.ie/storms-are-battering-limerick-and-heres-the-result-1312883-Feb2014/

There was no hurricane.

I was there. Hurricane... Good night!

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Zack Morris

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was there. Hurricane... Good night!

Nope. Hurricanes don't affect Ireland. You obviously don't know what a hurricane is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Nope. Hurricanes don't affect Ireland. You obviously don't know what a hurricane is.

Been over this so many times before. Are you happy enough with Hurricane force winds?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Category 3 Hurricane hit in 1839, so yes they do affect Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Been over this so many times before. Are you happy enough with Hurricane force winds?

I personally would love to experience that and more.

The raw power of mother nature is absolutely awsome and makes you realise that we are only a tiny dot on the face of this amazing planet and a blip in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭NATLOR

The OP was referring to what happened in the UK in 1987

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Xenji wrote: »
    Category 3 Hurricane hit in 1839, so yes they do affect Ireland.

Category 3 Hurricane force. Ireland is not in the tropics, ergo we can get extratropical cyclones or storm depressions. Our pal Rachel today didnt even originate in the tropics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

NATLOR wrote: »
    The OP was referring to what happened in the UK in 1987

That wasnt a hurricane either, UK not being in the tropics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Remenants of Hurricane Charlie.

Ok, not strictly a hurricane but it originally was...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement