Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to choose Alarm

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi sorry for the noob question , my house is not prewired, we just bought it. so was thinking to go on wireless alarm system. So can any one recommend a good one i read on forum seimens and some other models are their so which one is better by feature and reliability.

what would roughly cost to buy one system with 4 window sensor and two door sensor and panel .
    Lastly can be system installed self if budget dosen't allow for installer. and were is the best place to buy one of these system

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Have a look on Amazon UK, they have quite a range of self install alarms. Keep in mind that something with a gsm dialler would be useful

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are a few good systems here.
    Siemens SPC
    GSD i70
    Risco LightSYS2
    HKC Quantum
    HKC 1070
    HKC 1070

They are all Hybrid systems so will do wireless nicely & give you the option of wired & wireless bells.
    They all have Apps,remote access & alerts via IP. These are free with SPC,GSD & Risco but HKC will charge you for each app + an annual subscription (€60) to use their cloud to access your system. GSD, RISCO & Siemens SPC allow you free access without any port forwarding or router configuration.
    The downside for Siemens is for Wireless Bell or wireless shock sensors you will have to use 3rd part devices. A plus for SPC would be very easy programming via a built in web browser.
    A downside for Risco is you can not wire out of their wireless shock sensors if you have a couple of openings on a window. Also their panel can be a little harder to programme because of some different terminology.
    A down side for GSD is they are still missing a wireless key fob. Not a major one , but it does limit you location wise for the panel. They are on the way very shortly.

I wont go into pricing here too much,Take a look at the list of suppliers here.
    Generally I find very little difference between GSD,Risco & Siemens pricing. HKC tend to be a little dearer (20-25%)device for device.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭lovehathi

Thanks degsie and KoolKid,
    I bought one Chinese made alarm kit online but iam not comfortable to install in home, i bought wireless sensors and key pad with it also. So i was looking for Siemens based system how much should i expect to pay for it.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

are there any issues with self installs in relation to house insurance?

(e.g) if the house was burgled would you be properly covered or do insurance companies look to see if the alarm is installed professionally

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Only if you state in the policy that the system conforms to any standards or was installed by a licenced company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

GSD released keyfobs today.
    HKCs annual subscription (€60) if GSM-SC is used includes unlimited data.
    It has not being reveals how much RISCO & Siemens SPC charge for data :rolleyes:
    GSD dont have a back up.

With Risco, GSD & Siemens you don't require a GSM data connection as you are allowed use you existing internet connection for free. HKC do now allow this and insist on a subscription if you wish to use their app to connect to your panel.
    I am unsure what you mean about GSD not having a back up.

altor wrote: »
    GSD released keyfobs today.
    HKCs annual subscription (€60) if GSM-SC is used includes unlimited data.
    It has not being reveals how much RISCO & Siemens SPC charge for data :rolleyes:
    GSD dont have a back up.

Do you mean a wireless keyfob/keypad?

degsie wrote: »
    Do you mean a wireless keyfob?

Yes, wire free keyfob was released today.

altor wrote: »
    Yes, wire free keyfob was released today.

Thanks, edited my post, sorry. Is this a keypad rather than the small RFID keyfob they have on their site?

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    Thanks, edited my post, sorry. Is this a keypad rather than the small RFID keyfob they have on their site?

Its a keyfob for your keys.
    They have an arming station available.
    Keypad with LCD display is coming also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 joanodee

Hi,

Everyone here seems to know an awful lot about alarms? I know nothing! But I would like to get an alarm, all the windows in our house have those cables out of them so they are wired for a system. The only company I know about is Phonewatch and they have a current deal for 500e but it only gives you 4 sensors + one door contact thingy.........

What should I do? Do I ring up companies and they come out and do a survey? How do I assess my needs or requirements? And then how do I know what I am getting? (it all seem very technical so does that mean they go out od date very fast)

Any info on this would be a help because all the talk of IPs and PIR and all the other things mean nothing to me......

Thanks for your help.

Joan

Advertisement