Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Braid

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Well lads I'm on this website ordering some braid (don't have any) and was wondering what lb is best for salmon and pike.its also looking for a line number ? 0.4 0.6 1.0 2.0 4.0 or 6.0 I don't no anything about braid but heard its good u can feel everything thanks lads :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

I use power pro 50lb for salmon find it great but I won't use it in one particular part of the river which is very rocky as I find you can cut it off the rocks

Its excellent for float fishing

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Jim from Cork

I think the advantages of using braid outweigh the disadvantages. I'm not sure what dimensions you are quoting there - are they PE?

Here's an article on line that should provide some info for you:
    http://www.topfisher.eu/line-getting-to-the-end-of-it/

I have quoted from the notes at the end of the piece:
    The Rating V’s Diameter Quandry & Fake Braid
    Put simply, if you want to take your chances with line offered by some sellers on ebay you take your chances. If it looks to be very cheap then the chances are that the line you are buying is a fake. Choose your braid depending on what you want the braid to do for you. If you are beach fishing you may want abrasion resistance and strength and the “No Stretch”, then you can be less fussy about your braid as diameter will be less important. If you are fishing and want the benefit that lower diameter gives you then you must be more discerning about the braid you purchase. There is no set format to how braid is stated on the packet. EU sold braid is generally expressed in Absolute breaking strain. American braid is generally expressed in Lbs test. The Americans bring in a knot to the equation and therefore their line tends to be much thicker for the stated diameter than an EU braid. However many braids test to double their stated strength. The bottom line here is to be wary when ordering on line -The 20lb American labelled braid may have a diameter more like a 50 or 60lb braid (off the top of my head!). Most braids are thicker than the stated diameter…braid is not round so it is difficult to get a proper measurement. So do you buy : EU: 8.2kg 0.13mm or US 10lb 0.20mm (These are the specs for Sufix 832) Imagine you order 20lb US – it is going to be fairly thick! I use Strikepro Strikewire most of the time. I have tried many different high quality braids over the last couple of years and always tend to be happiest with StrikePro Strikewire (9kg 0.13mm). I was pleased with Sufix 832 recently too (18lb 0.13mm). I want the benefit of thin braid but need the benefit of some strength to pull through snags. There is a lot to be said for touchy feely in the shop! There are lots of forgeries on line. It is all braid so you are not doing too bad! Much of the time it is four strand sold as eight strand and such like. You are in the lap of the gods regarding diameters etc.

Advertisement