Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas-lesson on Tom Crean?

• 11-01-2015 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

This week I'm going to do a lesson on tom crean in history..I'm planning on reading a piece about tom crean with the children then for them to answer questions on that piece..does anyone have any ideas for what else I could do or any other follow up activities.?.or anywhere that there are lesson plans on him?thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

What level are you teaching? If this is for Teaching Practice, it might want to be a bit more active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Weather forecast is for some very cold weather later this week. Bring them outside for a few minutes and then tell them to imagine it was 30 degrees colder.

There's a lot of info/video on Antarctica on the web for some background too.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭zeebre12

I'm on TP with 3rd/4th class..I don't know really what to do other than read a piece and answer questions..any ideas?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

To be honest, you're going to have to think a bit more about your lesson planning, you reading a piece and asking them questions is more 1970 curriculum. Have you done any methodology in college at all?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brónaim cád??

You need to make it more active and hands on. A simple comprehension lesson is very basic and you have scope to incorporate many elements.

Some things I just thought of -
    Drama / role play: Tom is with some friends of family. What is he thinking, feeling, what is he nervous about, why does he want to go.
    Hot seating: you dress up as Tom and the children quiz you. You could not reveal who you are until the end.
    Writing in role: Tom write's a diary entry/blog/video cam entry the night before his adventure, one during and then one at the end. Or divide it up into groups. Do this after the role play as the ides and vocab will come through.
    Radio interview / newspaper interview after he arrives home.

Is it literacy or history based as the objectives will be different. Does ideas are more literacy based more you could adapt them to history.

Advertisement