Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Butcher Ribs Sauce

• 11-01-2015 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, bit of a strange question. You know when you get ribs from the butchers, and they have that red sauce on them? It's not quite barbecue, it's not quite Chinese, and I never realised I'd miss it so much when I didn't have it. I moved to New Zealand a few months back, and had assumed that food would be basically the same over here. This was obviously not the case, and now we're in some kind of bizarre food withdrawal.

Basically, does anyone know what sauce the butchers use on the 'barbecue' ribs? Or what's in it, since presumably I'd have to make it myself over here.

Much appreciated in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know it's usually a char siu type marinade. I made it a lot last summer for the bbq but I can't remember what recipe I used. This one looks very like it http://allrecipes.com/recipe/char-siu-chinese-bbq-pork/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,573 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Urizen wrote: »
    It's not quite barbecue, it's not quite Chinese

You are probably bang on the money here. I'd say it's a chinese bbq sauce,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Char siu is Chinese barbecue sauce.

Advertisement