Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long walk SC - how long left?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 3:33pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭

With news that Tesco will be closing some stores, Long Walk's future can't be far off the agenda now. Penny's are gone, and centre looks tired and in bad repair overall. How long more will this place last?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The news also clearly stated that Tesco had confirmed that no Irish stores were included among the intended closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

The news also clearly stated that Tesco had confirmed that no Irish stores were included among the intended closures.

In fact they commited to the restoration and decolpment of their irish stores. There's money to be had here obviously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

There's something odd about retaining that store given its proximity to the new Tesco extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OkeyDoke12

Carroll Village shopping centre across the road is worse.

Place shoukd be bulldozed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Or turn it into a Funtasia centre, place would make a fortune. Cinema across the road, bus depot a two minute walk away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Red Alert wrote: »
    There's something odd about retaining that store given its proximity to the new Tesco extra.

3 Dunnes
    2 Aldi
    2 Lidl

What's so odd about 2 Tesco?

Given the size of the "new" Tesco, I can't help but feel that stock levels are even between both stores.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

OkeyDoke12 wrote: »

Is that place actually even open? Like the inside of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

With news that Tesco will be closing some stores, Long Walk's future can't be far off the agenda now. Penny's are gone, and centre looks tired and in bad repair overall. How long more will this place last?
    Think Carroll's newsagents and the Hallmark card shop beside it closed last week as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Knock Carroll Village and the Longwalk both, open both lots up as parking for town centre pedestrians and run a bus service to the Retail Park, and completely pedestrianise the town centre. It would transform the town.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    It would transform the town.

The way Clanbrassil street is going, there won't be any traffic on it soon enough to stop people walking down it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Knock Carroll Village and the Longwalk both, open both lots up as parking for town centre pedestrians and run a bus service to the Retail Park, and completely pedestrianise the town centre. It would transform the town.
    The flaw in that plan is that there would be even less reason for people to be in the centre of the town.

Overall, I don't think there is a huge problem with parking in or near the centre of Dundalk - except for the many people who don't want to walk more than 50m, and those people who prefer not to pay for parking.

The flaw in that plan is that there would be even less reason for people to be in the centre of the town.

Then give them a reason. How many empty units are there in the centre? Too many. It's up to the council to change that.

Is that place actually even open? Like the inside of it?

Not at all. It's sitting completely idle and redundant. I could be wrong but I think the carpark is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Then give them a reason. How many empty units are there in the centre? Too many. It's up to the council to change that.
    The planning history in Dundalk is a dismal story.

Because I like traditional town centres, and because I'm sentimental, I'd love to see the Clanbrassil Street/Earl Street/Park Street axis rejuvenated, but I think the situation is irreversible now.

Long Walk SC closed on a Sunday now. How long has this been the case? If Tesco should ever pull out, game over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Long Walk SC closed on a Sunday now. How long has this been the case? If Tesco should ever pull out, game over.

6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I know that this is an old thread but what PB said above I think most feel the same in wanting to keep the town centre alive. With this in mind I often wonder why Carroll Village SC wasnt built on Clanbrassil/Church Street where the apartments are with Street front access and increase footfall for that area. As it is now just demolish what will become derelict sites un due course unless that can be adapted for example as a stop shop community care facilities, so GP, physio, nutritiionists, dentist, creche, at a real push an onsite lab for bloods to be done. Bus depot could be improved if they can acquire some of the LW land. Proper multistory car built to eliminate parking on main streets with exemptions. Is the site big enough for a town centre municipal or private funded ground for Dundalk FC :P
    Turn it in to a park that flows in to Ice House Hill with kids playing areas, some sporting areas/equipment, the potential is huge with some thought and the two buildings are vacated. Just lets not have high density apartments built by property speculators - keep the town centre areas as publicly accessible areas. There is a whole load of talk about Dundalk being the first Dementia friendly town, well then sensory gardens etc could be developed. An area that could host decent sized outdoor events like concerts could be a revenue area that pays for the area itself etc etc

I see The Ice House has been demolished.

Has somebody bought it or what's happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

MugMugs wrote: »
    I see The Ice House has been demolished.

Has somebody bought it or what's happening?

Given its very sad and tragic history, it was probably the only fitting course of action to take with it. Not sold as far as I'm aware. Maybe a nice memorial garden or something similar to mark her passing??

• Advertisement

The problem with the town centre is the planning rubbish that's been going on for decades now. The town centre is now basically on the outskirts of the town. With the development constantly southwards and gaps being filled in towards Blackrock the "old town" is being completely neglected. Jobs, houses, cinema, shopping, everything is moving south.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

The photospeed shop at the front of the centre also gone now i see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BlueLass

The photospeed shop at the front of the centre also gone now i see.
    Quite painful to witness its slow inevitable demise!! Penney's departure was the true death knell for the long walk!!

BlueLass wrote:
    Quite painful to witness its slow inevitable demise!! Penney's departure was the true death knell for the long walk!!

I honestly haven't set foot in it for years. Not since Pennys left in fact, and even then only to go there specifically. I live over near Dublin St, and tend to shop that side of town but that said I'm up Clanbrassil St once a week and catch buses from the station so I am regularly in the vicinity. I just have no reason to enter it.

What is left in it? Apart from Tesco. Is there still an optician? A stationery shop? A jeweller? I think I remember a fruit and veg place. Is the alterations place still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I honestly haven't set foot in it for years. Not since Pennys left in fact, and even then only to go there specifically. I live over near Dublin St, and tend to shop that side of town but that said I'm up Clanbrassil St once a week and catch buses from the station so I am regularly in the vicinity. I just have no reason to enter it.

What is left in it? Apart from Tesco. Is there still an optician? A stationery shop? A jeweller? I think I remember a fruit and veg place. Is the alterations place still there?

yes, all still there
    http://www.longwalksc.com/store-directory/

Advertisement