Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firebird Kitchen C35 - Condensate Leakage

• 11-01-2015 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi everyone I am a newbee.

I have one of the first of these boilers in my holiday home circa 8 years old but very lightly used. I have just discovered that condensate had been slowly weeping from the casing that the flue elbow bolts down onto and which has the gas flue analyser screw port on the front. It has been doing so for a few years I would say as the corrosion on the boiler casing is major. I first noticed it when I pulled away the front housing and saw rust and thought it was the air release valve but when investigated further all the insulation was soaking wet. I got a firebird engineer in last week to cure it and he removed the flue and reseated and sealed it and assumed it had fixed it. He did not identify exactly where the leak was coming from.

Whilst the casing is still as far as I can see sealed it is so badly corroded that I think I need a new boiler. I cannot see the point in spending more money getting a new part

Is this a known issue with Firebird boilers? I have had a few of the usual issues with it such as sooting of the burner and photo ignition and had to buy a high level plume kit but this is the icing on the cake and will cost me dear. At the moment may faith in Firebird is low. Do you think they will help toward the cost of a new one?

I have taken photos but cant see how to upload them

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

How often was this appliance serviced in the last 8 years? and by whom (i.e. an Oftec registered tech)?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 AnglingMad

It has been serviced I think bi annually but last one was April 2014 by the engineer originally recommended Firebird so he is definitely Firebird registered I cant say about Oftec as I just asked the manufacturer who to use. Rightly or wrongly I did it this way as it has low use.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

I would be asking the service engineer if the flue was incorrectly sealed how it was spotted and addressed?

Advertisement