Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing food outside in the winter?!

• 11-01-2015 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I have a beer esky/cooler that's never really used for its intended purpose.
    I share my apartment with two other people and we have a teeny fridge.
    I decided to store some of my bulky fruit 'n' veg in the esky on our balcony.
    Just some bags of kale/lemons/mushrooms/apples etc.

Am I alone in storing stuff outside?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

We have vegetables from our garden stored outside all the time. Stored in a large plastic bin, in sand in boxes.

The only downside is if something like fruit or veg freezes it will be wrecked - as in it won't have a great texture afterwards - the ice crystals destroy the structure.

Still good for smoothies, soups etc.

First to go out the back door when the fridge gets a bit full is the wine and beer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is fairly common here in Switz to do this. As long as it is not at ground level where it could be interfered with by rodents. Take care to cover perishables so the don't get affected by frost.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We put beer, white wine and soft drinks out on the step at Christmas or for any gathering in the winter. It saves cluttering up the fridge.
    I remember my grandmother having a 'food safe' out in the shade in the back garden for her dairy products. They were very common before most people had fridges. It looked very like this one:
    2emfy52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭raemie10

Two days on and my esky/food cooler is working great :)
    I think if the weather was to get a lot cooler (as it's so mild at the mo) and potentially freeze, I'd just bring it in outside over night.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep, especially when doing fridge Tetris around Christmas, I put the more robust veggies outside in a cooler box that can be locked.

Cans/Bottles go out anyway. We pretend that its to save fridge space but in reality its nearer to walk outside to get a beer from the living room than to the fridge. /lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

An apartment near where I live has a full on bar on their window ledge :) Beers, spirits, cans of mixers, white wine. It's pretty cool! (that's an unintentional pun right there)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

An apartment near where I live has a full on bar on their window ledge :) Beers, spirits, cans of mixers, white wine. It's pretty cool! (that's an unintentional pun right there)

Im guessing this is not in Ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dublin 1 :) It's a few floors up though, only noticed it staring out the upstairs window of the 46a on my way to work one morning. If it was the ground floor I'd say it'd be a no go

Advertisement