Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick intro while I familiarise myself with the charter

Options
  • 11-01-2015 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi, my name is Jenny and I've just started a new upholstery business in Kilkenny. CRO registration completed, I'm now trawling forums for hints and tips on business start-up, and making sure I'm doing right by revenue. I have training and education in accounts and business management but it's still a completely different ball game going it alone. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Welcome and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

All the best..!!
    Hope you are aware of this: startupireland.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 15 aeryfaery

Meritor wrote: »
    All the best..!!
    Hope you are aware of this: startupireland.ie

I am thank you.

So I've to wait a little while before I can share my facebook and twitter urls. I am registered as Village Upholstery if anyone wants to look it up, make sure I'm genuine. Busy promoting as much as I can and have actually had a surprisingly decent turnover so far. I was expecting a very, very, quiet first year as I expect to be relying on word of mouth.

I am also designing and making animal character scatter cushions that I hope local craft shops will sell, as soon as I have enough made I will be pounding the pavement. Already have found lots of useful links for testing the market on here which is cool. The scatter cushions are all actually original designs and handmade, though you can find similar out there if you google. I have to say after working through the process from design, to creating the pattern, to finished product, I can understand why locally made items are that bit more expensive. A good learning curve. My prototypes made excellent Christmas gift too :)

I'm currently in two minds about the advantages of having a website, Facebook has been very good to me so far, does anyone have better insight into this?

Have you tried doing workshops? Some of the shops similar to ours run chair upholstery workshops that seem to do pretty well. They charge about €95 they take around 6 hours looks worth looking into! We run similar workshops and they could definitely be a good addition to your offering as judging by the images on your facebook page you do it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Meritor

I've seen your Facebook page and work looks excellent...!!
    aeryfaery wrote: »
    I'm currently in two minds about the advantages of having a website, Facebook has been very good to me so far, does anyone have better insight into this?

I would say yes, Facebook is good for marketing. However, website builds the TRUST.
    When I see something good on facebook with no website link, I think it just an individual service a specific local area. On the other end if I see a website link on the facebook page, I think "ahh.. looks like a good business setup"
    It represents your business identity in this virtual world. Therefore, in order to build a trusted brand, a Website is a must to have.
    Moreover, simple website does not cost much, and easy to setup.
    So, I would say its worth investing in things that helps building a trusted brand.
    Never leave social medial (FB, tweeter etc) even if you have a website.

If you need any further help in setting up website, do post here.

jimmii wrote: »
    Have you tried doing workshops? Some of the shops similar to ours run chair upholstery workshops that seem to do pretty well. They charge about €95 they take around 6 hours looks worth looking into! We run similar workshops and they could definitely be a good addition to your offering as judging by the images on your facebook page you do it well.

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I'll definitely look into it further!
    Meritor wrote: »
    I've seen your Facebook page and work looks excellent...!!

I would say yes, Facebook is good for marketing. However, website builds the TRUST.
    When I see something good on facebook with no website link, I think it just an individual service a specific local area. On the other end if I see a website link on the facebook page, I think "ahh.. looks like a good business setup"
    It represents your business identity in this virtual world. Therefore, in order to build a trusted brand, a Website is a must to have.
    Moreover, simple website does not cost much, and easy to setup.
    So, I would say its worth investing in things that helps building a trusted brand.
    Never leave social medial (FB, tweeter etc) even if you have a website.

If you need any further help in setting up website, do post here.

Good to know, I will be starting a blog tracking my work with the cushions as I myself find the process interesting (sorry world). I studied computer applications in WIT so wouldn't be too shabby and set up and management of a website so it doesn't scare me, however knowing the value of the time and effort required is important, as well as the initial costs involved small as they may be, thank you :)

Definitely have a site as well as a social media presence even if it is only a very basic site like this that just links to social media pages, etsy etc.

Definitely have a site as well as a social media presence even if it is only a very basic site like (sorry had to remove to quote) that just links to social media pages, etsy etc.
    Elegant, web hosting is something I am very wary of googling. Are there any pointers I can get on how to choose one?

Elegant, web hosting is something I am very wary of googling. Are there any pointers I can get on how to choose one?

Hosting isn't something we can discuss I am afraid from the charter:
    10. Discussion or recommendation of web hosting companies or the packages offered by various web hosts is not permitted on boards.ie owing to a long, long history of these types of threads not working. This is non-negotiable. Since many of these hosting providers also provide domain registration services, discussion or recommendation of these providers is also banned.

• Advertisement

Hosting isn't something we can discuss I am afraid from the charter:
    Yes, sorry, I was cautious as I had a feeling. A late night was spent googling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Do you do a lot of car upholstery?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Hi, my name is Jenny and I've just started a new upholstery business in Kilkenny. CRO registration completed, I'm now trawling forums for hints and tips on business start-up, and making sure I'm doing right by revenue. I have training and education in accounts and business management but it's still a completely different ball game going it alone. :)

Good luck with the new venture

Do you do a lot of car upholstery?

I can't honestly say we do a lot because there isn't a huge demand, but we habe done car upholstery. We can cater for any vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The only info (no recommendations or discussions allowed) available on boards for hosting is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

Advertisement