Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well paid jobs without qualification?

Options
  • 11-01-2015 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Asking this on behalf of a family member who has nothing really happening here and is thinking of heading over to meet us after we settle in. She has no qualifications, but would give anything a go. I don't think she should apply for a visa until she knows what sort of work she could get. We are going to Calgary. Anyone any ideas on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

What has she worked in at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Mainly retail. She'd like to go for office work but has no experience

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

As an unskilled worker with very little experience, she can expect a minimum wage job in a shop or café, or temping (possibly a dollar or two above minimum wage per hour). Without any skills or qualifications, I doubt there's many well paid jobs available.

There might be some options like labouring if she could do very physical work all day every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Receptionist work maybe? It might get her foot in the door for a future office job. Canada is all about networking. Tell her to get on LinkedIn and look up companies and start talking to people working in those companies. Oh, and turn the bullsh*t metre up to 10, sell yourself, it's not like Ireland where people will cut you down, they love to see you do something against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Faith wrote: »
    As an unskilled worker with very little experience, she can expect a minimum wage job in a shop or café, or temping (possibly a dollar or two above minimum wage per hour). Without any skills or qualifications, I doubt there's many well paid jobs available.

There might be some options like labouring if she could do very physical work all day every day.

Labouring as in on a building site?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

gg2 wrote: »
    Labouring as in on a building site?

Yes, that's what I meant. But I have absolutely zero experience with construction so I don't know if that's actually feasible. I imagine she'd have to have some health and safety training done for that also.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

gg2 wrote: »
    Mainly retail. She'd like to go for office work but has no experience

She has experience, you just said; retail!

Sometimes qualifications are just something to talk about at interview. If you don't have qualifications you must be prepared to hustle, be good at talking up your skills and experience. Useful life skill anyway.

Building site labourer suggestion is silly, no reason she couldn't get a foot in the door somewhere or build up experience temping.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭EI-DOR

She will be lucky to get labouring work. The oil price has dropped below $45 per barrel and it's causing a major mess in Alberta with layoffs everywhere (Mainly in Fortmac). The company I'm with is losing work to.

I'm hoping to get another month or so out of them then I'll prob head back home for a while and get work in London hopefully!

But yea there is a few labouring jobs though they won't be long getting taken with the other layoffs!!

Anybody coming to Canada over the next few months need to exercise extreme caution, all I'm gonna say!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Maybe with her experience in retail she could get a job at that. Also study at night school to gain qualification in her chosen field which could open up more and probably better paid job opportunities?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

maringo wrote: »
    Maybe with her experience in retail she could get a job at that. Also study at night school to gain qualification in her chosen field which could open up more and probably better paid job opportunities?

If she comes over on an IEC she won't be allowed to register for any courses that last longer than six months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement