Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftp question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭JuneJones

advertsfox wrote: »
    So its a log gathering utility that a company sent you, OK this is normal as the company I work for has the exact same type of tool (open app, scan PC for specific technical information, ZIPs it and prompts to send to us at the end which happens to be our FTP server).

Regarding 3. There doesn't have to be "an FTP" included with the software as its a protocol that Windows supports natively. You can upload a file over command prompt with a sample being like so:

[had to remove url]

So to answer your question, there would be no FTP client included with the diagnostic utility as its a part of the OS. Any firewall prompts (if any) would appear on execution of the diagnostic EXE, prior to running / scanning or uploading. You would have given permission for the app to do anything when you click Allow / Yes.

BTW, everyone here has been trying to help but your questions have not been worded great, this is why more than one poster ask for extra details. I can only answer myself from your second post I've quoted.
    Yes your explanation sounds right. is the info in your log gathering visible to the person who it is sent to so they know what info they are sending

So if you allow it to scan on firewall alert there is a permission for it to send?

It would upload without any visible windows opening even if using firefox? i understand the protocol is supported by internet explorer, it would not need to be running?

Re your BTW, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

JuneJones wrote: »
    no ftp site that i know of

edit connected to ftp at ms dot com Obviously fw does not block

Why does the FW "obviously" not block it? Probably because there is no ftp server on that host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

JuneJones wrote: »
    Yes your explanation sounds right. is the info in your log gathering visible to the person who it is sent to so they know what info they are sending

So if you allow it to scan on firewall alert there is a permission for it to send?

It would upload without any visible windows opening even if using firefox? i understand the protocol is supported by internet explorer, it would not need to be running?

Re your BTW, sorry
    In our case yes, a ZIP is left in the same folder as the utility is run (e.g Desktop).

If you click Yes to a firewall or UAC prompt to allow an application to run, then yes is can run and do whatever it's coded to do - you are giving the software admin access.

Yes, completely within the application in the background. Firefox doesn't even come into play here, nor Internet Explorer. The app itself runs the commands, does the scanning and uploading using native Windows features. Every app on the world does this.

Advertisement