Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DeoVolente

Hi all, just a quick question.

I'm hoping to be a first time buyer very soon. I have found a property that was not completed due to the downturn. The house is a detached dormer in a rural area, 1900 sq ft and is at first fix stage - the first fix stage is complete. It is likely to be ours for ~90k. We had a builder, a family friend, in to have a look at the work done so far and he said that it was all done to a high standard.

Two questions.

Firstly, is this a good, bad or reasonable price to pay for it?

Secondly, to finish and decorate to a medium standard (not going overboard with a mad expensive kitchen or bathroom - maybe in years to come), would a mortgage of ~€150k be a reasonable amount?

Thanks in advance for any comments or opinions!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

DeoVolente wrote: »

I'm hoping to be a first time buyer very soon. I have found a property that was not completed due to the downturn. The house is a detached dormer in a rural area, 1900 sq ft and is at first fix stage - the first fix stage is complete. It is likely to be ours for ~90k. We had a builder, a family friend, in to have a look at the work done so far and he said that it was all done to a high standard.

Two questions.

Secondly, to finish and decorate to a medium standard (not going overboard with a mad expensive kitchen or bathroom - maybe in years to come), would a mortgage of ~€150k be a reasonable amount?

For 1900 sq feet? Sounds very tight! Is it plastered? Is there ground works done? What about water connection? Council contributions paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Basically you want to know if you can finish the job for 60K. You would get a lot of work done for 60K but it depends on your own capacity to get work done.

For instance putting in the septic tank, percolation, soakpits could cost over €5,000 alone as mentioned above, or it could cost far less if you had access to relatives with machines etc.

Very hard to quantify.

Two questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JamesK23

Two questions.

Best to get an engineer in to assess what work needs to be done and get a QS to price it up or tender it to builders when the engineer has listed work to be completed. The bank will want this done anyway if your getting a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodcliffe

galwaytt wrote: »
    I admire it you've achieved that, but I can't see that covering materials on any job I've been on in recent years, let alone finishing.

And that figures includes paying all contractors, VAT, Co Co contributions, the various Certs, connection fees to ESB etc etc ??

Fully connected and commissioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 IvanRakitic

yeye

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

hey guys.. any advise please. since the law changed again on sept 1st and we don't need to get each staged signed off. can anyone tell me what exactly I need to get my artitect to do for the banks - after getting a quote and seems very high. and just confused. also does the person who drew the plans complete the design cert or who does this..?

any advise much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Woodcliffe wot county u in?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wegian wrote: »
    Hi Jack,
    I would also be very interested in your breakdown here as we are about to embark on a very similar endeavour, circa 2.8K sqft with air to water and UFH
    Sorry in the delay but here is a quick(rough) break down of costs.
    Clear site 4k
    Foundation and blockwork to wall plate 24k
    Roof 28k
    Concrete slabs 6.5k
    Windows 15k
    M&E 25k
    Floor screed 4k
    Floor insulation 4k
    Pumped cavities 5k
    Air tightness 3.5k
    Plastering, slab ceilings 12k
    Internal joinery (doors,floors,wardrobes etc) 14k
    Internal painting 4k
    Kitchen, Utility (including white goods) 20k
    Bathrooms 8k
    electricity 2.4k
    Bore well and install pump 5.5k
    Treatment system, percolation storm drainage gravel drive way etc 12k
    Garage 12k
    There will probably be another 5k or so to spend on little bits and pieces. as I said this was before the new regs came in. Hope its of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Sorry in the delay but here is a quick(rough) break down of costs.
    Clear site 4k
    Foundation and blockwork to wall plate 24k
    Roof 28k
    Concrete slabs 6.5k
    Windows 15k
    M&E 25k
    Floor screed 4k
    Floor insulation 4k
    Pumped cavities 5k
    Air tightness 3.5k
    Plastering, slab ceilings 12k
    Internal joinery (doors,floors,wardrobes etc) 14k
    Internal painting 4k
    Kitchen, Utility (including white goods) 20k
    Bathrooms 8k
    electricity 2.4k
    Bore well and install pump 5.5k
    Treatment system, percolation storm drainage gravel drive way etc 12k
    Garage 12k
    There will probably be another 5k or so to spend on little bits and pieces. as I said this was before the new regs came in. Hope its of help.

Yes this is a great help, thank you very much. What kind of heating did you put in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

- Insulation Specs, Cavity size etc - Depends on what your BER calls for, but A3 as completed package
    - Heating technology - Simple: stove, rads, MHRV - depends on your BER calcs.
    - Window types, Dble/Triple Glaze etc - uPVC/Alu triple
    - Roof finish - tiles / slates - std cement slates
    - Exterior finish, Stone etc - std nap plaster

What else would I need to include in the tender to get a budget estimate?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blue star wrote: »
    hey guys.. any advise please. since the law changed again on sept 1st and we don't need to get each staged signed off. can anyone tell me what exactly I need to get my artitect to do for the banks - after getting a quote and seems very high. and just confused. also does the person who drew the plans complete the design cert or who does this..?

any advise much appreciated

Only your bank can answer that question.

They will want it signed off in stages by an architect, engineer or surveyor.
    The design very will and should be signed by someone that is actively involved in the design at construction stage.

Ignore the planning drawings once you have planning granted. You need detailed construction drawings and they will be used for the design and completion of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Woodcliffe

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Woodcliffe wot county u in?

kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Woodcliffe wrote: »
    kerry

...that must explain things, regional costs. Cost to build in Galway now teetering from the 1300/m2 in the 1400/m2 cost now for any new build.

In Leinster (where we start another site on Friday), higher again.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Bring up the builders from Kerry!!!!!
    ...that must explain things, regional costs. Cost to build in Galway now teetering from the 1300/m2 in the 1400/m2 cost now for any new build.

In Leinster (where we start another site on Friday), higher again.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Bring up the builders from Kerry!!!!!

Building costs in Kerry have risen significantly since the beginning of this year, indicative costs being quoted by QSs are now around €1,400 per m2 for new builds. This is from building contractors that understand and can implement the Building Regulations, especially Part L.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Gimme Stitches

When average costs per square meter or square foot is mentioned what exactly does this include?
    Does it include architects fees, ESB connection, water connection, EPA tests, maps etc?
    Hoping to start a new build early to mid next year getting some plans drawn up at the minute.
    Slightly off topic but if I go the builder route can I have the site cleared and ready for foundations, or even have the foundations in place.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,655 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When average costs per square meter or square foot is mentioned what exactly does this include?
    Does it include architects fees, ESB connection, water connection, EPA tests, maps etc?
    Hoping to start a new build early to mid next year getting some plans drawn up at the minute.
    Slightly off topic but if I go the builder route can I have the site cleared and ready for foundations, or even have the foundations in place.

generally no.... it usually refers to purely build costs... and usually to a "builders finish" ie magnolia painted walls, no flooring, basic tiling costs, basic kitchen costs.

for total costs your looking for "turn key" prices and even at that, that might not include professional fees, development contributions, connection fees etc.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    generally no.... it usually refers to purely build costs... and usually to a "builders finish" ie magnolia painted walls, no flooring, basic tiling costs, basic kitchen costs.

for total costs your looking for "turn key" prices and even at that, that might not include professional fees, development contributions, connection fees etc.
    what would a typical turn key price be per square meter? typically how much more would it be? I'm based in East Galway if that makes any difference

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,655 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure on getting to roof level ie foundations brickwork and roof done on a 1600 square foot bungalow in meath. Thanks

what would a typical turn key price be per square meter? typically how much more would it be? I'm based in East Galway if that makes any difference

One finished one in Galway in July : all in was €1368/m2.

Ode To The Motorist

One finished one in Galway in July : all in was €1368/m2.
    Was this figure using a builder or going the self build route?
    I assume that these figures will vary?

No, using a contractor - and yes, can vary. There's another in Mayo on the go atmo, and it's coming in higher, but different spec, different design - so these do have an impact on your costs.

Ode To The Motorist

No, using a contractor - and yes, can vary. There's another in Mayo on the go atmo, and it's coming in higher, but different spec, different design - so these do have an impact on your costs.
    That's interesting and good information. Its the age old question as to how long is a piece of string when it comes to specs and finishes.
    Is there a figure for an average low medium high finish.

That's interesting and good information. Its the age old question as to how long is a piece of string when it comes to specs and finishes.
    Is there a figure for an average low medium high finish.

..that figure was for a good spec, A3 (should really be A2) 1.0m3/hr/m2 airtightness, c/w big balcony with glass balustrade etc (which is €€€€). Like I said, details like that cost.

I wouldn't see building a quality building to be anything less tbh. and who would build a 'low' spec house - the regs etc being as they are, better (should) be the norm.

Ode To The Motorist

..that figure was for a good spec, A3 (should really be A2) 1.0m3/hr/m2 airtightness, c/w big balcony with glass balustrade etc (which is €€€€). Like I said, details like that cost.

I wouldn't see building a quality building to be anything less tbh. and who would build a 'low' spec house - the regs etc being as they are, better (should) be the norm.
    I think have a well built house with a good BER rating is something I would want in my build.
    Would you deal with builders in the Galway area? If so I would appreciate recommendations via PM.

I realise I'm fairly possibly in the wrong thread here, but I figure i may aswell try my luck.

Not looking for a house price, but would anyone on here be able to give a rough idea on how much the following would cost, or a website where I could find out (don't want to ring anyone up to come out and price it, as it's not something I'd be doing for a while, and I don't want to be wasting anyone's time, but at the same time, it is something I want to do, and I'd like to have a figure in my head, no matter how 'ballpark' it may be, just to give me an indication of what to expect).

Pretty much, I have a shed in my garden, it's 11ft by 12ft. It's a concrete build, but it's as shoddy as they come (DIY by my dad a few years back). I'd like to replace it with another shed, 11ft x 18ft (198 works out at sq/ft I believe?), but I want it built to a house quality (not the shoddy mess that's there at the moment). It doesn't need any internal walls or such but would need a window or two and, of course, a door and proper ceiling that doesn't leak all over the place (like the current one!).

Would anyone be able to work out a rough price for that, or point me in the direction of a mildly accurate online calculator?

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

I realise I'm fairly possibly in the wrong thread here, but I figure i may aswell try my luck.

Not looking for a house price, but would anyone on here be able to give a rough idea on how much the following would cost, or a website where I could find out (don't want to ring anyone up to come out and price it, as it's not something I'd be doing for a while, and I don't want to be wasting anyone's time, but at the same time, it is something I want to do, and I'd like to have a figure in my head, no matter how 'ballpark' it may be, just to give me an indication of what to expect).

Pretty much, I have a shed in my garden, it's 11ft by 12ft. It's a concrete build, but it's as shoddy as they come (DIY by my dad a few years back). I'd like to replace it with another shed, 11ft x 18ft (works out at 198 sq/ft I believe?), but I want it built to a house quality (not the shoddy mess that's there at the moment). It doesn't need any internal walls or such but would need a window or two and, of course, a door and proper ceiling that doesn't leak all over the place (like the current one!).

Would anyone be able to work out a rough price for that, or point me in the direction of a mildly accurate online calculator?

Cheers :)

Advertisement