Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I realise I'm fairly possibly in the wrong thread here, but I figure i may aswell try my luck.

Not looking for a house price, but would anyone on here be able to give a rough idea on how much the following would cost, or a website where I could find out (don't want to ring anyone up to come out and price it, as it's not something I'd be doing for a while, and I don't want to be wasting anyone's time, but at the same time, it is something I want to do, and I'd like to have a figure in my head, no matter how 'ballpark' it may be, just to give me an indication of what to expect).

Pretty much, I have a shed in my garden, it's 11ft by 12ft. It's a concrete build, but it's as shoddy as they come (DIY by my dad a few years back). I'd like to replace it with another shed, 11ft x 18ft (works out at 198 sq/ft I believe?), but I want it built to a house quality (not the shoddy mess that's there at the moment). It doesn't need any internal walls or such but would need a window or two and, of course, a door and proper ceiling that doesn't leak all over the place (like the current one!).

Would anyone be able to work out a rough price for that, or point me in the direction of a mildly accurate online calculator?

Cheers :)

~20m2 I'd say 15k give or take for basic finish, if there is side access. Removal of old stuff and delivery of new is a consideration depending on access.

BryanF wrote: »
    ~20m2 I'd say 15k give or take for basic finish, if there is side access. Removal of old stuff and delivery of new is a consideration depending on access.

Yeah judging by some of the posts in the thread previously, that I'd scanned through, I figured it'd be somewhere around that figure alright.

I can see now why it was DIY'ed (I think the cost of DIY'ing it was about €3,000, give or take). That said, there's no substitute for a proper job.

I just wanted a rough idea where I stood so I'd know for future reference (although if the price variation is still the same, I think a cautious and well-researched DIY job could be on the cards again! :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭6781

My wife and I are at that stage where we are thinking of building rather than buying as there isn't anything ideal on the market around where we live. Just wondering has anyone gone down the passive house route? What would the costs to a builders finish on a 2400 square foot story and a half house roughly be?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

6781 wrote: »
    My wife and I are at that stage where we are thinking of building rather than buying as there isn't anything ideal on the market around where we live. Just wondering has anyone gone down the passive house route? What would the costs to a builders finish on a 2400 square foot story and a half house roughly be?

I don't know much about Passive Houses but I did hear something interesting recently at an information event. They were saying that at present the way the Part L regulations are worded, people who go passive standard are actually penalised when trying to meet the regulations. It's because part L requires standard fixed amounts of renewables etc. as opposed to a percentage based on each individual home. (Hopefully I've worded that somewhat coherently.)

Please, anybody correct me on this but that's what I got from their information!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yeah judging by some of the posts in the thread previously, that I'd scanned through, I figured it'd be somewhere around that figure alright.

I can see now why it was DIY'ed (I think the cost of DIY'ing it was about €3,000, give or take). That said, there's no substitute for a proper job.

I just wanted a rough idea where I stood so I'd know for future reference (although if the price variation is still the same, I think a cautious and well-researched DIY job could be on the cards again! :o )

The DIY price would not have been to living standards that you want this time round. It would have no insulation in the floor, walls or roof. Possibly no radon barrier, DPM etc and add that to the fact that 3k many years ago got you a lot of materials. Now a days, the materials alone will probably be double or triple that figure.

Anyway, for what you want budget about €1000 per square meter for a basic insulated finish. But be careful with regards to planning laws as it can never be deemed habitable, only ancillary to the use of the main dwelling, so games room, hobby room, gym, storage etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

FiOT wrote: »
    I don't know much about Passive Houses but I did hear something interesting recently at an information event. They were saying that at present the way the Part L regulations are worded, people who go passive standard are actually penalised when trying to meet the regulations. It's because part L requires standard fixed amounts of renewables etc. as opposed to a percentage based on each individual home. (Hopefully I've worded that somewhat coherently.)

Please, anybody correct me on this but that's what I got from their information!

I've heard the same too. But I haven't come across any passive houses during my employment in Dublin current.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

HI, have just got planning. prob start early next year. I am thinking of getting a builder in to do fondations/blockwork/roof and lease out rest of work..just a few questions. Regarding heat can i get past part L with solid fuel, oil and solar panels. I have free access to peat so why would i put in an expensive heat pump. Also with regs changed regrds self build do yous see this reducing cost by much as will still need arctitect to oversee stage payments

Sry, 2733 sq foot story and half...concrete first floor with rads if going solid fuel way

Doorcase wrote: »
    HI, have just got planning. prob start early next year. I am thinking of getting a builder in to do fondations/blockwork/roof and lease out rest of work..just a few questions. Regarding heat can i get past part L with solid fuel, oil and solar panels. I have free access to peat so why would i put in an expensive heat pump. Also with regs changed regrds self build do yous see this reducing cost by much as will still need arctitect to oversee stage payments

Do a provisional ber cert

If you ever plan on selling or leaving the house to others, consider the building control regs carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 delly50

Hi

We are looking at building a 2500 sq ft bungalow in Co Meath and looking for a rough guide on a price per sq ft.
    It will be a contemporary vernacular type build. We believe it will be a simple build as it will be two large rectangles joined.
    We will probably go Direct Labour, but are interested in Builder costs also.

All prices/costs are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

delly50 wrote: »
    Hi

We are looking at building a 2500 sq ft bungalow in Co Meath and looking for a rough guide on a price per sq ft.
    It will be a contemporary vernacular type build. We believe it will be a simple build as it will be two large rectangles joined.

Thanks

For a good standard and regulations compliant build you're looking at anywhere from 130 to 160 a square foot.

I'm basing that on quotes we got back recently for a two block vernacular style build in Meath also.
    Although ours is a small bungalow block and a larger 1.5 story block so house footprint is probably smaller, not sure how much that would effect your cost.

That should get you a fairly complete build (levelled garden, patio area, kerbing, kitchen, all floors, bathroom ware, etc).
    I've saved about €4 sq.ft. by doing floor/skirting laying, internal painting, entrance walls ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

delly50 wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks

350- 400k

Is there much of a difference say between building in meath and donegal...there would have to quite a big difference because some off the sq foot prices are enormous being quoted here. ..

rodge123 wrote: »
    For a good standard and regulations compliant build you're looking at anywhere from 130 to 160 a square foot.

I'm basing that on quotes we got back recently for a two block vernacular style build in Meath also.
    Although ours is a small bungalow block and a larger 1.5 story block so house footprint is probably smaller, not sure how much that would effect your cost.

That should get you a fairly complete build (levelled garden, patio area, kerbing, kitchen, all floors, bathroom ware, etc).
    I've saved about €4 sq.ft. by doing floor/skirting laying, internal painting, entrance walls ourselves.

Is this using a builder?

rodge123 wrote: »

This is obviously using a builder? Do it include the Council Fees, Architect fees, etc?
    We are looking at doing all the painting and tiling ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yes, using a builder.
    Price is inclusive of VAT.
    Does not include council fees, architect/engineer fees, esb connection, loose furniture & applicances.

Our build has a few items that probably put it a little higher than average i.e. horizontal geothermal & pump, ufh up and downstairs, very large triple glazed windows (32k pc sum exc vat), some natural stonework outside and inside (10k), removal of existing structures on site (3.5k)
    So I suppose we could get it for 125sq.ft if we had made a few cheaper decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 millbyrne

Hi all, Myself and my partner are looking to build a bungalow in North County Dublin. We have site, we dont want anything too elaborate. Can anyone advise what should be our first port of call. We don't have planning. We just don't know who to contact first either architect engineer or builder??? Any advise would be most appreciated. Has anyone had problems getting planning permission with Fingal Co Council, we want to do it right and try get planning on first application. Help!

millbyrne wrote: »
    Hi all, Myself and my partner are looking to build a bungalow in North County Dublin. We have site, we dont want anything too elaborate. Can anyone advise what should be our first port of call. We don't have planning. We just don't know who to contact first either architect engineer or builder??? Any advise would be most appreciated. Has anyone had problems getting planning permission with Fingal Co Council, we want to do it right and try get planning on first application. Help!

Arch first - they will visit planners with you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 murtquig

Hi just wondering build cost price for a 1950sqft bungalow in wexford . Open plan kitchen dining and living rooms with vaulted roof . All info appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6 omf

Hi looking for an approx price per sq foot. We are looking at building out own house. Looking at building between 1800 to 2000sq ft. Also does it matter in price if the house is a bungalow /dormer/story and a half .or is the price worked out at sq ft. Thanks. We are living in tipperary and have a site.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

murtquig wrote: »
    Hi just wondering build cost price for a 1950sqft bungalow in wexford . Open plan kitchen dining and living rooms with vaulted roof . All info appreciated

€130/ft2 / €1300/m3 and upwards (rounded).
    omf wrote: »
    Hi looking for an approx price per sq foot. We are looking at building out own house. Looking at building between 1800 to 2000sq ft. Also does it matter in price if the house is a bungalow /dormer/story and a half .or is the price worked out at sq ft. Thanks. We are living in tipperary and have a site.
    Thanks

As above - depends on your spec. €130/ft2 / €1300/m3 and upwards (rounded).

Bungalow most expensive per m2. Two-storey most efficient, dormer somewhere in between.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7 chief80

I'm in the middle of building a house for a couple in bunclody in co. Wexford.
    2000sqft bungalow, contract price of 195 k including vat
    Doesn't include any landscaping council fees or utility connections and the house will be completely second fixed they want to kit it out themselves with friends and family to help them with it .
    Between the architect changing drawings to suit themselves and the engineer being over cautious with regards to steel , concrete , lintels etc we are running fairly tight to the budget but with very little profit
    Very hard to say it's going to cost a certain amount per sq ft/metre cos every house is different design and spec , each project has its own hidden costs .

• Registered Users Posts: 24 inchbyinch

galwaytt wrote: »
    €130/ft2 / €1300/m3 and upwards (rounded).

As above - depends on your spec. €130/ft2 / €1300/m3 and upwards (rounded).

Bungalow most expensive per m2. Two-storey most efficient, dormer somewhere in between.

Am I missing something or should it be dormer most efficient and two story somewhere in the middle?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

inchbyinch wrote: »
    Am I missing something or should it be dormer most efficient and two story somewhere in the middle?

No, 2 storey has more usable footprint and gets built quicker. Time = money ☺

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

This thread should be renamed "cost per sq ft to build to suit my budget please".

Does anyone read back a few posts to read the 100 or so that say on average €130/sq ft

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

hexosan wrote:
    This thread should be renamed "cost per sq ft to build to suit my budget please".

hexosan wrote:
    Does anyone read back a few posts to read the 100 or so that say on average €130/sq ft

Ha ha very true.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

What is useful to people is if the selfbuilder put up their actual costs for each different stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

This thread should just be the cost of each item and all posts looking for

How much does it cost to build x,y,z with no further details should be deleted.

hexosan wrote: »
    This thread should just be the cost of each item and all posts looking for

Agreed. My point is there is loads of self builders on here that are not sharing their costs. I have made serveral detailed coatings posts and I rarely see anyone else doing similar to be honest.

• Advertisement

I have made the below post a couple of times. Just updating!

2200 sq feet. Block built, strip foundation, 150mm pumped cavity. Simple design 2 story.
    Below all approx +/- 300 (I havent kept that much eye on what is spent out but below are reasonably accurate).

Planning costs/site transfer/insurance/council payment/engineer/ 10K
    Foundations 16.5K
    Block work 13K
    Roof 14K
    Windows 12K (trible glaze, 0.8 window. Cost price as family member owns a window company. Should have been 16-17K)
    Poujoulate chimney system 8K
    Plastering 10K (inside and out, 6K of it was labour ish)
    HRV 5.5K (Vent axia teed off system)
    Plumbing first 2.5K
    Electrical first 3K
    Airtighness material 2K
    Insulation 3.5K
    Misc 3K
    Water Connnection 2.5K
    ESB connection (and ducting costs) 2.5K
    Plumbing Second Fix 9K (labour and material includes 50 tube solar, 400l tank, grundos pump etc, radiators, oil tank etc).
    Tiles 4K (Kitchen, halls, utility and 4 bathrooms floor to ceiling)
    Timber floor 2.7K (90 m2)
    Timber joinery materials 5.5K (13 HP10 oak doors, handles, locks, solid white deal frames, arch, skirting all white primed, 19mm solid oak window boards, 12mm ply for deck upstairs etc.
    Bathroom Suites 4K (4 x toilets,4 basins/taps, 1 freestanding bath and taps,)

Total spent circa 133K

Budget below for what I have left to spend.
    Miscellaneous 3000
    Stone work 1000
    Alarm 700
    CCTV 700
    Appliances 2500
    Electrical Second Fix 3000 (90 percent done but not paid for!)
    Plumbing Labour 2000
    Plumbing materials 600
    Carpentry second Fix 2400
    Stairs 4000
    Ground work 8000
    Garage (steel tech) 3000
    Tiles labour 4000
    Front Door 1500 (Cost price)
    Kitchen 11000 (including 3K for granite)
    Carpet 1500
    Ventilation commissioning 800
    Engineer 400
    Air blow 1000 (air blow and septic tank certification)
    paint 2000
    Kitchen Booth 2000 (fixed seating booth)
    Blinds 2000
    AV 2000 (big ass telly, richersounds ftw)
    Stoves 5500 (2 stoves)
    Wardrobes 4000
    Total 68600

This would be what I would see as a mid to high quality finish.

Estimate at completion 202K

I will have to spend 10K to sort the site out in a few years as well. I put my own labour contribution at 20K minimum so if you are not willing or able to do this then you might aswell add it to my price. I laboured for all timber work in the house so far, did the airtightness, insulation in attic, sheeting in attic, some digging around house, put in base for steel tech garage etc.).

Haven't slept right in 2 years :eek:

Can it be done cheaper? I dont think so. Sure you can get builders finish for 70 m2 for a self build but you still need to drop another 30 per m2 to get a finish. Cheap labour means little also. My build was 75% material, 25% Labour I would say. Getting high quality materials at the right price is the key.

Advertisement