Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Kitchen quote of 9600.

Not including worktop (granite priced at 3k) or appliances.

Ouch. 2.5k more than I thought it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

893bet wrote: »
    Kitchen quote of 9600.

Not including worktop (granite priced at 3k) or appliances.

Ouch. 2.5k more than I thought it would be.

Could you provide some details on the kitchen layout/style/materials.
    Also how much granite countertop is 3k getting you?

Thanks

L shaped kitchen approx 4.5 x 3.5.
    Units above and below all the way around. Magic corner, larder unit, integrated dust bin.

1300 wide country dresser separate on different wall.

Island 1500x900 presses both sides.

Finish is all in a painted white with a distressed look finish. Distressed look adding significant cost.

Granite priced for 1500x900, a 3m run and a 4m run. With upstand, cut drain board and hob cut out. This was priced before I had design down so have to revisit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭rodge123

L shaped kitchen approx 4.5 x 3.5.
    Units above and below all the way around. Magic corner, larder unit, integrated dust bin.

1300 wide country dresser separate on different wall.

Island 1500x900 presses both sides.

Finish is all in a painted white with a distressed look finish. Distressed look adding significant cost.

Granite priced for 1500x900, a 3m run and a 4m run. With upstand, cut drain board and hob cut out. This was priced before I had design down so have to revisit.

Thanks 893bet

I ask as I'm curious what things add to the cost significantly.
    We are looking to go with white inset shaker style, not sure about the options in relation to timber to use for them.
    Two straight walls of cabinets (Larder also) with island in the middle.
    Looking to use granite/quartz counter tops also.

What do you mean by distressed look? Have you an example?
    Are they inset, shaker, real timber?

rodge123 wrote: »
    Thanks 893bet

I ask as I'm curious what things add to the cost significantly.
    We are looking to go with white inset shaker style, not sure about the options in relation to timber to use for them.
    Two straight walls of cabinets (Larder also) with island in the middle.
    Looking to use granite/quartz counter tops also.

What do you mean by distressed look? Have you an example?
    Are they inset, shaker, real timber?

See distressed look in image. This is a significant driver. To do the distressed look there is two extra process steps after painting. They are solid doors but on advice of joinery going to scale back to part mdf to avoid cracking of paint in future due to movement in the doors (doesn't save money doing this tho).

Things like larders, magic corners, integrated bins etc. all drive cost also. If I removed those bits I would prob shave 600-800 off the price.

That said I was in cash n carry kitchens in Limerick yesterday and they had an ex display kitchen for 4000 that is simply amazing. Not what my wife wants though.

• Advertisement

Granite priced.

3.2m length (.6m wide),
    2m length(.6m wide),
    .9 x 1.75m Island
    1.3m x .35m country dresser

Upstand included, sink and hob cut out, 5 flutes, recessed draining board,

2900 euro.

Not to bad really. Will price somewhere else but I trust this crowd as they are in business a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

We've been stuck in a planning appeal process for a year...finally out the other side with planning permission. I know building prices rose quite a lot in 2014. What is happening now in 2015? From reading this thread I'm not sure they've gone up much more if anything? Our arch says they have but I think he was unrealistic with his estimations in 2014 (as in he underestimated)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

MizMix wrote: »
    We've been stuck in a planning appeal process for a year...finally out the other side with planning permission. I know building prices rose quite a lot in 2014. What is happening now in 2015? From reading this thread I'm not sure they've gone up much more if anything? Our arch says they have but I think he was unrealistic with his estimations in 2014 (as in he underestimated)
    Stop with the multiple posts please m! Start a new thread and stop spamming, thank you

If going the contractor route costs are rising especially in urban areas. Never ending pressure on materials also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If going the contractor route costs are rising especially in urban areas. Never ending pressure on materials also.

Even if not going the contractor route, materials are on the up.

I would expect to walk in to the office after Christmas to be greeted by the annual "Dear Sir, due to [blah blah blah] we have to increase our prices by x% effective from [some date already past]" letters in the post box. Happens every year.

I see people who keep kicking the can down the road on jobs keep getting caught in the vain hope that things will go the other way in the (next/New) year. Never happens.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Yes we definitely thought the silver lining of planning dragging out so much was that prices would have started to drop - wishful thinking !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

Last week had a QS price up my build, he was saying cost of materials on average have increased by 5% per year for the last 3yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

I have made the below post a couple of times. Just updating!

Roof 14K

What is the breakdown here - Labour / Timber / Tiles?

Wegian wrote: »
    What is the breakdown here - Labour / Timber / Tiles?

Off top of head
    As said in my posts the following need to be taken into account,

1) family/friend labour
    2) I did a lot of the roof labouring myself
    3) simple roof design (basic A and hip extention)

Slates 3-4k
    Timber etc 7k
    Labour 3-4

Off top of head

1) family/friend labour

Slates 3-4k
    Timber etc 7k
    Labour 3-4

What kind of slates did you put in?

Wegian wrote: »
    What kind of slates did you put in?

SVK man made ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Off top of head

1) family/friend labour

Slates 3-4k
    Timber etc 7k
    Labour 3-4

You did well, but for those who don't have the benefit or your labour or friends, it would obviously be a lot higher, n'est-ce pas ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    You did well, but for those who don't have the benefit or your labour or friends, it would obviously be a lot higher, n'est-ce pas ?

Indeed. That why I add the notes so not to deceive.

Roofs cost are prob the hardest to compare from house to house. My friends roof has 7k worth of steel in it alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Any truth material costs are reducing due to the price of crude oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Any truth material costs are reducing due to the price of crude oil

Huzzah!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 hanafine

Have a budget of 250,000. We are being told we could only get a 2000 square foot house for that. We are in the west .

Would this seem lightly ..I though we could get a bigger house.

Hanafine- we're at the tender stage. 2,100 square foot so pretty much same size. First price in- excluding kitchen, sanityware, floors, painting etc...320,000. High spec with high level of airtightness etc. I think we'll get prices in lower (from 280,000) but from builders without the same level of competence at airtightness etc. 250,000 seems VERY reasonable. My advice is to get a very good designer so you don't need more than 2000 square foot. We're building a house around the same size but we have no wasted space, very little corridors etc. It's about the same size as the one we're in now but much better laid out. We're in the North East by the way and going with a contractor.

My house is literally just starting (digger arrived to site today). A2 BER, 2 storey 2960 sqft. Builder price is 235k. This includes 2k PC sum for bathrooms, 4k pc sum for pre-cast stairs, generous electric spec that I provided, air source heat pump, MHRV, pre-cast 2nd floor, UFH both floors, domestic plumbing, internal joinery, plastering, triple glazing, paths around house, waste treatment centre / drainage. Does not include flooring, kitchen, painting, garage, fence, pillars, gates. Very happy with the builder and obviously the price.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

anoble66 wrote: »
    My house is literally just starting (digger arrived to site today). A2 BER, 2 storey 2960 sqft. Builder price is 235k. This includes 2k PC sum for bathrooms, 4k pc sum for pre-cast stairs, generous electric spec that I provided, air source heat pump, MHRV, pre-cast 2nd floor, UFH both floors, domestic plumbing, internal joinery, plastering, triple glazing, paths around house, waste treatment centre / drainage. Does not include flooring, kitchen, painting, garage, fence, pillars, gates. Very happy with the builder and obviously the price.

That's a very good price but 2k for bathrooms will cover one small WC at best if imagine. So budget the additional costs for that for starters.

Yeah totally agree kceire, it's not going to cover much. In general my budget to finish is very tight so I am going to need to be very careful on finishes. I did find a great place that will sell at trade prices for bathroom ware, internal doors and tiles so that is going to help me a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PD1990

Ye i would have to agree with kceire and aboble66 on this. Have you or anyone else looked at importing some of your building materials, tiles, sanitary etc. Some substantial savings to be made?

I have not looked into PD1990. I would certainly be interested to hear from others though that did go down that route though. I would be wondering are the savings really worth the hassle to be honest.

anoble66 wrote: »
    Yeah totally agree kceire, it's not going to cover much. In general my budget to finish is very tight so I am going to need to be very careful on finishes. I did find a great place that will sell at trade prices for bathroom ware, internal doors and tiles so that is going to help me a lot.

Hi, would you be willing to share this vendor by PM?

Great price on the build and good luck with it.

BTW - you must have a roof over the site because we are waiting for the last few weeks to start with the weather but then again living in the west doesn't help!!

Hi Wegian

Sure no worries I will PM you the name of the place. I was also concerned about the current weather and the build starting....but not a bother with this builder, this stormy wet weather does not seem to bother him at all, would say your getting it worse though! Good luck with your build also.

• Advertisement

Hi Wegian

Sure no worries I will PM you the name of the place. I was also concerned about the current weather and the build starting....but not a bother with this builder, this stormy wet weather does not seem to bother him at all, would say your getting it worse though! Good luck with your build also.

Advertisement