Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

anoble66 wrote: »
    My house is literally just starting (digger arrived to site today). A2 BER, 2 storey 2960 sqft. Builder price is 235k. This includes 2k PC sum for bathrooms, 4k pc sum for pre-cast stairs, generous electric spec that I provided, air source heat pump, MHRV, pre-cast 2nd floor, UFH both floors, domestic plumbing, internal joinery, plastering, triple glazing, paths around house, waste treatment centre / drainage. Does not include flooring, kitchen, painting, garage, fence, pillars, gates. Very happy with the builder and obviously the price.

hi anoble

Could you give a bit more detail about the A2 spec. eg what type of walls are you going for? wide cavity, external insulation etc ? Warm roof, cold roof ?

I am about to start a renovation and extension and I am interested in what is current best practice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

walls - 15mm External render, 100mm dense concrete block, 150mm Bonded Bead Full-fill cavity insulation (λ=0.033), 100mm concrete block
    Internal render to seal blockwork & 50mm Xtrathern dry lining slab

floor:-
    150mm Xtratherm XT/UF

Attic
    200mm Knauff Fibreglass Insulation layed across the ceiling joists
    200mm Knauff Fibreglass Insulation layed between the ceiling joists
    12.5mm plasterboard slab

Sloped Roof Areas Slate/Felt Layer
    100mm XT/PR layed between rafters
    50mm XT/XL-MF layed under ceiling joists
    12.5mm plasterboard slab

Windows & Doors triple glazed 0.85u

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PD1990

anoble66 wrote: »
    I have not looked into PD1990. I would certainly be interested to hear from others though that did go down that route though. I would be wondering are the savings really worth the hassle to be honest.

Hi Anoble66
    I havent got 25 posts to pm and cant post any links or emails here until i have 25 posts , sorry :-( If you want send me your email and i will send you the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 blueshorts

Hi All,

I'm looking into the self build option.

Are the new building regulations still in place, I recall they were due to be relaxed for one off houses.

Any idea what sort of figure this adds on to a build, I have heard figures ranging from 5-10k on a standard 2000sq ft build.

Also, what kind of money am I looking at for a new septic tank & connections to services

Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

blueshorts wrote: »
    Hi All,

I'm looking into the self build option.

Are the new building regulations still in place, I recall they were due to be relaxed for one off houses.

Any idea what sort of figure this adds on to a build, I have heard figures ranging from 5-10k on a standard 2000sq ft build.

Also, what kind of money am I looking at for a new septic tank & connections to services

Cheers

SI365 of 2015 allows the owner to OPT OUT of statutory certification.
    Fees vary depending on location and project type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

kceire wrote: »
    SI365 of 2015 allows the owner to OPT OUT of statutory certification.

check with your financial institution if you are getting a mortgage as many are not allowing an opt out

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevh1987

Hi all would any knowledgeable person here be able to give me a rough estimate on the following 1.5 story build in west Mayo;

Ground floor 1700 sqft
    First floor 1600 sqft
    A2 rating/air tight/MVHR
    Standard finishes

Qualified electrician by trade so will be able to make some savings in that department

Thanks in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

££££££ that's a big house, 250-300k. Best advice I will give is reduce by 1000sq foot and save yourself 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevh1987

Ya thats what I was thinking with the prices going up and up. It is a big house but its also been the dream for quiet awhile and have faught for a year and half to finally get planning permission ( mainly crazy requests from the planners)

Might be dreaming but I hope to pull it in at the 250k mark.

Fathers a machine driver, electrician myself, friends who are painters and carpenters and the brother in-laws a cabinate maker. Once we get started ill post the progress on here

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

kkelliher wrote: »
    check with your financial institution if you are getting a mortgage as many are not allowing an opt out

Who are not allowing opt out kk?

I haven't yet experienced any issues with clients opting out.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Who are not allowing opt out kk?

I haven't yet experienced any issues with clients opting out.

Hi Syd, I have had 2 BOI clients refused an opt out since Christmas.

Hi Syd, I have had 2 BOI clients refused an opt out since Christmas.

were they going direct labour by any chance?

were they going direct labour by any chance?

1 was the other was appointing a builder

1 was the other was appointing a builder

i assume the clients just said 'feck that' im going elsewhere for my mortgage?

i assume the clients just said 'feck that' im going elsewhere for my mortgage?

nope both went with the AC as they had a fear that it could have a repercussion at a later stage if they go to sell and dont have the paperwork. It may well be an issue in years to come when solicitors start advising their clients on house purchases that this one and that one opted out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

What do you mean by AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

BryanF wrote: »
    Syd & kk spend time here giving their professional expertise for free, if you look back through their posts you will see they have been offering the best of advise for free for years in this forum!!

So if you don't like what they have to say then clap your paid advisors architect/Qs who work in Donegal on the back!!!!!

In cork your looking at minimum 1300/m2(standard dormer bungalow) more likely 1500/m2 for 2 storey standard decorated, well insulated specified 200m2 house, THAT meets building regs, and Excludes site/ professional/ council fees/ service connections etc.

Apologises for my ignorance, but how much a sq ft is 1300/m2 or 1500/m2?

bailey99 wrote: »
    Apologises for my ignorance, but how much a sq ft is 1300/m2 or 1500/m2?

divide by 10.764

• Registered Users Posts: 39 clarelady

hi anoble6
    could you please PM me the details of that supplier as well as starting our build in Clare in next couple of weeks thanks

Was talking to someone who built direct labour fairly competitively.

He said that his own golden rule was "Do not pay somebody to do work that you are capable of doing yourself". He wasn't necessarily referring to tradeswork, more so labouring and groundswork though he did do a lot of carpentry and other internal work himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Was talking to someone who built direct labour fairly competitively.

He said that his own golden rule was "Do not pay somebody to do work that you are capable of doing yourself". He wasn't necessarily referring to tradeswork, more so labouring and groundswork though he did do a lot of carpentry and other internal work himself.

My view of that is if you can make the same money working in your own job i.e. Overtime or something else. Stick to what you know and pay someone to do the work for you.
    When you labor for yourself it takes twice/three times as long, you don't have the equipment, experience and you start to resent the build over time.

hexosan wrote: »
    My view of that is if you can make the same money working in your own job i.e. Overtime or something else. Stick to what you know and pay someone to do the work for you.
    When you labor for yourself it takes twice/three times as long, you don't have the equipment, experience and you start to resent the build over time.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Some people have more free time than others and therefore can commit.

Some people relish and appreciate the time spend on their home rather than resent the time spent.

Some people are not in as much of a rush to get the job finished as others.

There are lots of factors really

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

It starts out as great Craic sure this will be brilliant but when your going from bed to work to site to bed day in day out. It soon starts to grate. You don't see family friends for weeks at a time.
    Don't get me wrong I've loved building my own house but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

What do you mean by AC?

Assigned Certifier

Again, it is down to the individual. Sometimes that individual has to feel the pain. I have a cousin who has been tipping away for 5 or 6 years and is nearly there now.

It is an inexact science really, no one person can define how it feels for another to be hands on involved in his own project
    hexosan wrote: »
    It starts out as great Craic sure this will be brilliant but when your going from bed to work to site to bed day in day out. It soon starts to grate. You don't see family friends for weeks at a time.
    Don't get me wrong I've loved building my own house but it's not all sunshine and rainbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Very few have the skill to do a lot of work. Those that do have the skill, it's unlikely that they will have the time.

I prefer to pay a pro myself. Have have done some myself. Anything I did on my own.....you would know by looking!

In fairness there isn't much skill required to tend two blocklayers as he did but he had a couple of blocklayers that turned him down because they wanted to bring their own man. He just said fair enough and ploughed on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭flatty

Hi all. Apologies for potential slightly off topic post, but here goes
    I have just bought 30 acres in the west , not too far from town, near my parents
    I have lived abroad for the past 19 years, but hope to move home in the next few years. I am Hopi g to build somewhere on the site, which has frontage on two roads, but stretches a away back from both.
    I'm not too bothered about size, but probably would hope for four bedrooms, with the house as efficient as possible, and as hard wearing, as it may not be lived in for a few months at a time if I'm still finishing business abroad
    Is it far more cost effective to build near the road, as opposed to well back away from it (which I'd prefer) that would mean, I reckon a drive of 5 or 600 yards maybe. And, taking this I to account, I wonder what the building costs would be for something like this (triple glazed with heat pumps etc, fully finished with decent kitchen and 2 bathrooms or 3?
    Would it be much cheaper to build beside the road?

flatty wrote: »
    I have just bought 30 acres in the west , not too far from town, near my parents
    I have lived abroad for the past 19 years, but hope to move home in the next few years. I am Hopi g to build somewhere on the site, which has frontage on two roads, but stretches a away back from both.
    I'm not too bothered about size, but probably would hope for four bedrooms, with the house as efficient as possible, and as hard wearing, as it may not be lived in for a few months at a time if I'm still finishing business abroad
    Is it far more cost effective to build near the road, as opposed to well back away from it (which I'd prefer) that would mean, I reckon a drive of 5 or 600 yards maybe. And, taking this I to account, I wonder what the building costs would be for something like this (triple glazed with heat pumps etc, fully finished with decent kitchen and 2 bathrooms or 3?

County Council may decide how far back from the road you build on the land depending on local issues. My cousin was forced back a good bit from the road and then didnt build after reapplying a couple of times as he didnt want to eat into an agricultural field unnecessarily.

Beyond that, the cost is basically stone for driveway and a longer fence. The extra length of the driveway would define that

• Advertisement

flatty wrote: »

You need to arrange a pre planning before you do much.
    You need to ensure the land is zoned for a house and that you meet the needs criteria etc

Advertisement