Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

kceire wrote: »
    You need to arrange a pre planning before you do much.
    You need to ensure the land is zoned for a house and that you meet the needs criteria etc

It would be a good idea to do a farming course if possible. This would be advantageous in terms of meeting the needs criteria as you can state that you are farming the land

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Yardleys Lavender

flatty wrote: »
    Hi all. Apologies for potential slightly off topic post, but here goes
    I have just bought 30 acres in the west , not too far from town, near my parents
    I have lived abroad for the past 19 years, but hope to move home in the next few years. I am Hopi g to build somewhere on the site, which has frontage on two roads, but stretches a away back from both.
    I'm not too bothered about size, but probably would hope for four bedrooms, with the house as efficient as possible, and as hard wearing, as it may not be lived in for a few months at a time if I'm still finishing business abroad
    Is it far more cost effective to build near the road, as opposed to well back away from it (which I'd prefer) that would mean, I reckon a drive of 5 or 600 yards maybe. And, taking this I to account, I wonder what the building costs would be for something like this (triple glazed with heat pumps etc, fully finished with decent kitchen and 2 bathrooms or 3?
    Would it be much cheaper to build beside the road?

If your land is in Co Galway, the planners are absolutely ferocious when it comes to housing need. Where I am from - Ardrahan / Craughwell - I have seen children who have inherited / were gifted sites but were turned down with the general excuse of lack of housing need. It might be worth your while having a couple of pre-planning meetings with the planners to see if building can go ahead at all. My 2c!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭A Law

County Council may decide how far back from the road you build on the land depending on local issues. My cousin was forced back a good bit from the road and then didnt build after reapplying a couple of times as he didnt want to eat into an agricultural field unnecessarily.

Beyond that, the cost is basically stone for driveway and a longer fence. The extra length of the driveway would define that

Would electricity, water and those type of services cost more because of the extra distance?

Depends on the distance from the road really but realistically you are only talking extra piping or extra cabling. Hydrodare piping doesnt break the bank. ESB pole may well be in closer to the house anyway. I could be wrong but from memory a 150m roll of 3/4" Hydrodare is something like €100 give or take

You would probably have your own septic tank so there wouldnt be a need for sewage pipes out to the main sewer which probably doesnt run by your land anyway
    Would electricity, water and those type of services cost more because of the extra distance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Depends on the distance from the road really but realistically you are only talking extra piping or extra cabling. Hydrodare piping doesnt break the bank. ESB pole may well be in closer to the house anyway. I could be wrong but from memory a 150m roll of 3/4" Hydrodare is something like €100 give or take

You would probably have your own septic tank so there wouldnt be a need for sewage pipes out to the main sewer which probably doesnt run by your land anyway

Your not supposed to use hydra layer for your drinking water anymore it's supposed to be MDPE the blue roll. Approx €400 for 100m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

hexosan wrote: »
    Your not supposed to use hydra layer for your drinking water anymore it's supposed to be MDPE the blue roll. Approx €400 for 100m

Whoops! Why not?

893bet wrote: »
    Whoops! Why not?

Off the top of my head (memory is fuzzy) it's something got to do with the plastic used in hydra layer leaching into the water supply.
    I wouldn't worry too much as hydra layer is used in a **** load of houses up and down the country. But all new builds are supposed to use the blue MDPE pipe.

The connections are shocking expensive for it. I used 3/4" and the T's & 90's are about €10 each. The stop value is €25. On the connections make sure the inserts are white and not red. The white is for the high pressure connections. Red is like what the farmers use & for lower pressure supplies.

I used heavy duty hydra! A good 300 metres with Mole plough and a digger. Used philimac connections and they are also poison dear! Red inserts typically for light guage pipe and white inserts for heavy gauge piping!

Yeah the philimac are the same connections for the MDPE pipe.

I'm sure you'll be told to ask your professional shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭flatty

County Council may decide how far back from the road you build on the land depending on local issues. My cousin was forced back a good bit from the road and then didnt build after reapplying a couple of times as he didnt want to eat into an agricultural field unnecessarily.

Beyond that, the cost is basically stone for driveway and a longer fence. The extra length of the driveway would define that
    Would anyone have a rough idea of how much a drive might cost per metre or per 100metres?
    Thanks for all of the replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

flatty, that's sort of the length of a piece of string question.
    Main cost are plant to clear top soil. Then stone and something on top.
    Fencing then. You'd want to allow 10/15K per 100 metres. It will eat stone unless you have somewhere to borrow pit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 fermmark

Would anyone have a rough idea of how much a drive might cost per metre or per 100metres?

We done our lane last September time when there was a bit of good weather. It will depend on what ground conditions etc are like but our lane was approx 450m long and stone and machine for a week (hedges etc cleared and tidyed up) cost approx €10,000. There is no fencing up or pipe in for water etc in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Flatty

We have site stoned out now, temporary 50 metre driveway. THe driveway took 5 loads of stone at 170 a load.
    Note the word temporary - the costly piece to finish it with tarmac is not included

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

Hi,

Looking for cost to build 2,000 sq ft house in Cork? Around €130 per square foot??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭bailey99

slingerz wrote: »
    Hi,

Looking for cost to build 2,000 sq ft house in Cork? Around €130 per square foot??

Where in Cork? And is it to a builders finish or to a full finish?

Also, what type of spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,264 ✭✭✭slingerz

bailey99 wrote: »
    Where in Cork? And is it to a builders finish or to a full finish?

Also, what type of spec?

It's a 3 bed bungalow with middle of the road fittings. Builders finish for the most part, we can fully finish the necessary rooms first rather than all of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AMull123

HI Can anyone tell me how the builder prices a new build, is it per SQM for the bottom of the house as well as SQM for the top?
    I mean , bottom floor €1,000 SQM and First Floor €1,000 SQM
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

AMull123 wrote:
    HI Can anyone tell me how the builder prices a new build, is it per SQM for the bottom of the house as well as SQM for the top? I mean , bottom floor €1,000 SQM and First Floor €1,000 SQM Thanks

Yes AMull123 both floors included in the price per square meter or foot.

Basically though, this is not how a builder prices a new build house.

The builder will work out quantities for everything that's required i.e. blocks, sand, cement, insulation, nails, timber, plasterboard, skim coat, lime, screws, doors, skirting, architrave, toilets, showers etc. He knows the price that it costs him to buy these materials.

He then works out the labour required to do the work and sections of work that's needed. A good builder will get a sub-contractor plumber, electrician and carpenter to go through the job with him and get costs for these works.

When everything is worked out the costs are added up and this gives the total cost to build the house.

The builder at this stage may then divide the total by the total square meters or foot, to give €/sqm or €/sqft

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

AMull123 wrote: »
    HI Can anyone tell me how the builder prices a new build, is it per SQM for the bottom of the house as well as SQM for the top?
    Thanks

Have a look at the 2 other posts you made asking the same questions, generally you will get the same answer across different threads.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

AMull123 wrote: »
    Thanks

Stop! don't spam multiple threads asking the same thing. welcome to boards btw please read the forum charter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Have a look at the 2 other posts you made asking the same questions, generally you will get the same answer across different threads.

Kceire, please let the mods know when you see spamming, by using the report function, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭E mc kiernan

Hi all,
    I'm looking for a rough price to finish a 1400 sq. foot bungalow in cavan to an average finish and not a high spec finish. The main structure is built and is roofed. What the quote is needed for is,

slabbing of ceilings
    Internal plastering, scratch and skim
    Plumbing 1st and 2nd fix ( stove and oil with rads)
    wiring 1st and 2nd fix
    fitted kitchen
    tiling of bathroom/kitchen
    insulation ( pumped wall and attic insulation)
    carpentry 1st and 2nd fix

installation of septic tank.

just interesting to hear your thoughts on this as most quotes on this are for new builds?!

Thanks

What is the quality of the work done to date like?

Workmanship of blocks for instance will have a bearing on the cost of plastering
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for a rough price to finish a 1400 sq. foot bungalow in cavan to an average finish and not a high spec finish. The main structure is built and is roofed. What the quote is needed for is,

slabbing of ceilings
    Internal plastering, scratch and skim
    Plumbing 1st and 2nd fix ( stove and oil with rads)
    wiring 1st and 2nd fix
    fitted kitchen
    tiling of bathroom/kitchen
    insulation ( pumped wall and attic insulation)
    carpentry 1st and 2nd fix

installation of septic tank.

just interesting to hear your thoughts on this as most quotes on this are for new builds?!

Thanks

Hi all,

slabbing of ceilings 1k
    Internal plastering, scratch and skim 5k
    Plumbing 1st and 2nd fix ( stove and oil with rads) 12K
    wiring 1st and 2nd fix 6k
    fitted kitchen 8k
    tiling of bathroom/kitchen 4K
    insulation ( pumped wall and attic insulation) 3k
    carpentry 1st and 2nd fix (is first fix not done? Sounds like it is?) 7k (that's a cheap stairs).

installation of septic tank. (5-10k)

Thanks

Above are minimums for a cheap finish. Loads of extras.

Esb connection, professional fees, painting, flooring attic, fitted furniture, renewables to meet part L, Airtightness, mechanical ventilation, nice stove hearth, mantle piece, blinds, footpaths, driveway, rainwater good (assume not done if septic tank is not in) etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭shnethb

Hi All.

My wife and I are looking into different options on where we will put down roots for the future. We have an option to both build or buy. We are currently renting a large old farmhouse that we may have an option to buy and renovate to a modern standards but we need to do our homework first and see what the cost of this would be. My question is where do we start in relation to this? who do we need to speak to? is it an engineer, architect or builder. This house is in our preferred area and would be our favourite option but we need to have an idea of the renovation cost first. Thanks for your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Get an architect or engineer or technician to do up plans and spec exactly what you would like. Then get a price from some builders.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Thinking of building and wondering what a house 2940 sqft would cost. It's actually the one on the -snip-. If you could tell me roughly the price with labour and without. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi welcome to boards, we don't advertise companies here, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Apologies about mentioning the company. Well it's a 2940 sqft two story. We will be building on our own land. I'm looking for the kitchen to be included in the price aswell as one downstairs toilet, one upstairs and two ensuites. It's literally a block of a house with a sunroom on the back. Located in the Midlands. We are going to try do it by selling our current house and then try building without a mortgage.

• Advertisement

Are you employing a main contractor to complete or self-building?
    What is the zoning on the site?

Advertisement