Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Emmser wrote: »
    Apologies about mentioning the company. Well it's a 2940 sqft two story. We will be building on our own land. I'm looking for the kitchen to be included in the price aswell as one downstairs toilet, one upstairs and two ensuites. It's literally a block of a house with a sunroom on the back. Located in the Midlands. We are going to try do it by selling our current house and then try building without a mortgage.

Unless your current house is in Dublin and worth a lot then it's unlikely! Typically it's cheaper to buy than build at the moment.

If you haven't got planning already I would look to reduce house size by at least 500 sq feet. You won't even miss it!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

BryanF wrote: »
    Are you employing a main contractor to complete or self-building?
    What is the zoning on the site?

Self-building, well a direct relative helping us out. No planning permission yet but building on our own land. We've just been looking at plans online and considering.

We're fortunate in our last purchase, four years ago. Seems to have risen significantly so hence why we are thinking of selling now as it's inevitable we will eventually build on the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Kellzer

Myself and my brother are looking to build 2 houses on family land in Kildare. If we go out to tender together, would there be much of a saving if we get one contractor to build the two houses together. Also, I know cost per sq ft is a crude calculation, but what kind of prices are people being quoted in Kildare at the moment? Is there much of a saving to be made by going the self build route instead of getting a contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭48nico

hi all ,what would a 205sqm bungalow unpainted no kitchen or sanitary ware .cost roughly in co carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nico, that depends on spec. You should be in the 230/260K range but I could be way off.
    Only way to know is by tendering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

48nico wrote: »
    hi all ,what would a 205sqm bungalow unpainted no kitchen or sanitary ware .cost roughly in co carlow

That's a big bungalow unless you are allowing for a long term conversion upstairs?

Huge foundations + huge roof =€€€€€€

Sorry, did not spot the 'bungalow'
    Crikey, I presumed 2 storey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 seanie r

Anyone tell me is it possible to build a moderate size bungalow (1400 sqft? from start to finish on 150-160k budget

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

893bet wrote: »
    That's a big bungalow unless you are allowing for a long term conversion upstairs?

Huge foundations + huge roof =€€€€€€

I had considered a two storey house, but I felt there was too much wasted space and upstairs rooms were being determined by downstairs etc. I know the footprint and associated foundations are more expensive and the roof can potentially be, but it can balance out a bit too.

Sheff, it does take a much bigger effort in design. The mistake most houses have with 2 storey is hollowing out the centre, That's where the space is wasted.
    If you think of a more octagonal shape for a hallway with rooms off it, with the stairs simply as another exit. The landing upstairs would be similar. No corridors.
    There are significant build cost savings on 2 storey.
    It would be easier to heat and maintain temp. But its a personal choice.

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Sheff, it does take a much bigger effort in design. The mistake most houses have with 2 storey is hollowing out the centre, That's where the space is wasted.
    If you think of a more octagonal shape for a hallway with rooms off it, with the stairs simply as another exit. The landing upstairs would be similar. No corridors.
    There are significant build cost savings on 2 storey.
    It would be easier to heat and maintain temp. But its a personal choice.

My bungalow is pretty well designed for what I personally wanted in terms of keeping the shape standard and maximising the space available. I found it hard to convert a 1900 or 2000 square foot bungalow I wanted into a 2 storey, providing the same size in rooms, without increasing the square footage.

Then there are other different needs such as first floor costs for concrete slabs, scaffolding, insulation, wiring, pipework etc. compared to working at ground level. It isn't as straightforward as it sounds.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

I had considered a two storey house, but I felt there was too much wasted space and upstairs rooms were being determined by downstairs etc. I know the footprint and associated foundations are more expensive and the roof can potentially be, but it can balance out a bit too.

This Screams of a lack of design.

BryanF, I have processed 100's of house designs in my work. Two storey requires a good more thinking.
    Designing the Hall as a room, rather than a bit around the stairs, with direct access to all rooms is the common item that makes such a project work.

Water John wrote: »
    BryanF, I have processed 100's of house designs in my work. Two storey requires a good more thinking.
    Designing the Hall as a room, rather than a bit around the stairs, with direct access to all rooms is the common item that makes such a project work.
    it's good that we know how experienced you are in processing house designs, but I don't think I suggested that designing a two storey requires any less 'thinking'..

What is highlighted above should in no way dictate a bungalow over a two storey IMHO, my preference would typically be for a more compact envelope

I was only stating that drawings of houses used to cross my desk everyday.
    Nothing was meant.

Don't have a head that swells.

At the end of the day, it is about choice and what a person has a liking for. Some of us dont want to reinvent the wheel in terms of design. Plus I have spoken to oodles of people who suffered injuries and did not have a downstairs bedroom in a 2 storey house and ended up having to sleep in a sittingroom

I broke an ankle spending a few weeks on crutches and I was also conscious of that. I had no interest in a 2 storey house, nor had I any interest in designing a 2 storey around my needs. I wanted a rectangular block functional bungalow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

and you've a load more roof area to hang solar (electric ) out of - might be very important years into the future

Sheff, as I said its your personal choice having weighted up all your options and needs. Best of luck with it.
    Insulate well and seal well to keep down running costs. we are learning that late in this country.
    Wish I could have a second go at building my 26 year old house.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

seanie r wrote: »
    Anyone tell me is it possible to build a moderate size bungalow (1400 sqft? from start to finish on 150-160k budget

Yes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭bungaro79

Yes it is.

who what when, we are looking into possibly doing a build (in cork, outside the carrigaline area) if we can get a site and we're hoping to have around 150k to build. when you say its possible, do you mean for a self build or with a building contractor?? and would this amount include the monies needed for planning too??

the site we are looking at is 1/2 and acre, it would need a septic tank and connection for electricity and water too. should i be looking at a bungalow, storey and a half or two story (it is in the town zone so planning shouldn't be an issue, just the design i assume??). i know that people have different preferences with designs but after reading this thread am i right in thinking a bungalow costs more as it has a bigger foundation and roof??

thanks

• Advertisement

bungaro79 wrote: »
    who what when, we are looking into possibly doing a build (in cork, outside the carrigaline area) if we can get a site and we're hoping to have around 150k to build. when you say its possible, do you mean for a self build or with a building contractor?? and would this amount include the monies needed for planning too??

the site we are looking at is 1/2 and acre, it would need a septic tank and connection for electricity and water too. should i be looking at a bungalow, storey and a half or two story (it is in the town zone so planning shouldn't be an issue, just the design i assume??). i know that people have different preferences with designs but after reading this thread am i right in thinking a bungalow costs more as it has a bigger foundation and roof??

thanks
    keep your design ideas in the region of 100m2 IMO

Keep professional fees & council fees outside of this budget

thanks bryanf. how much and what are those extra fees you mentioned?? you seem to know a lot about this area. would you have any preference for the type of house you would go for in this instance?? my wife was at a dermot bannon talk and won a copy of his book so she has a lot of ideas!!

thanks bryanf. how much and what are those extra fees you mentioned?? you seem to know a lot about this area. would you have any preference for the type of house you would go for in this instance?? my wife was at a dermot bannon talk and won a copy of his book so she has a lot of ideas!!

Council fees 5k + dependant on area
    Design fees (planning, tender & construction, opt in or out etc) could be 10/20k depending on the support you require.
    Esb/ gas ur services connections, insurance, would normally be outside of any 'pie in the sky' m2 figures

Your budget is very low, so build a small house.

The last few builds Ive seen Qs priced in around cork were @ 1400/1500€/m2
    Builders finish was more like 1200! Materials are shooting up, as are the labour rates around the city as rent and living costs rise.

thanks again bryanf. going to really crunch the numbers so!! the reason i'm giving that figure is coz we're going to be selling in negative equity so i want to see what i'll have at worst case scenario but it all depends on what i sell my current house for.

thanks
    thanks again bryanf. going to really crunch the numbers so!! the reason i'm giving that figure is coz we're going to be selling in negative equity so i want to see what i'll have at worst case scenario but it all depends on what i sell my current house for.

Are you planning on building in a 'rural housing control zone' ? You do appreciate that if you own a house you don't have a housing need

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Thanks for all the info here. Great reading. My wife and I are considering buying a 3 bed cottage/bungalow in East Galway. It's in fair condition , was updated in the 1970s and lived in until recently.
    We will need to renovate the 900sq ft house and hope to extend approx 1000 sq ft. Renovation to include up to date central heating system, electrics, Windows, doors, floors, insulation, kitchen bathrooms etc.

I'm wondering what are the main pros and cons of this vs new build? Would planning be hard to get? What should we watch out for? Probably won't get planning for new build as we are not from this area and allready have another house.
    Where do i get started, an architect/ builder / engineer? The only thing we really know is it is in the right location for where we want to settle with our family.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Doorcase

Is polishing filter and percolation area not the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭chillit

Doorcase wrote: »
    Is polishing filter and percolation area not the same thing

sort of. I think a polishing filter would be considered as a specific type of percolation area.

Standard percolation areas tend to be a few lengths of pipe in trenches surrounded by gravel (at a basic level)

Polishing filters are usually a square/rectangular area with layers of sand and gravel to different depths specified by the engineered.

Usually (but not always) polishing filters can fit in a smaller area or be positioned closer to critical items like wells.

If you need either percolation area or polishing filter then I am pretty sure you should have a site suitability test completed by your engineer and this will outline exactly what type of percolation/filtering area is required

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Anyone have an idea about architects fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Ging Ging

Anyone have an idea about architects fees?
    Add your reply here.
    Could be up on 10 - 15 of build cost for a RIAI architect unless you get mates rates. Depends what scope of works you want them to take on. An architectural technician / civil engineer / building surveyor could draw it a lot cheaper at 3, 4 or 5k, but they may do more drafting than designing.

Advertisement