Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

That is a turn key house.

Tarmac for instance is an expense that could be postponed to a later date, and in any event a lot of people who used tarmac in the past 10 years find it difficult to maintain to it's fresh appearance

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Here is an estimate I got from surveyor. This may not paste very well but the right most price is including vat.

Some of these are lower thst the actual cost like the heating part but I didn't think it could go as high 500k :/

Be interested in opinions

WORK DESCRIPTION Price ExVat Vat (13.5%) Total Price
    Building Substructures
    Foundations and Rising Walls Item 8,359.16 1,128.49 €9,487.65
    Ground Floor Slab Item             6,021.97 812.97 €6,834.94

Building Structure
    External & Internal Walling Item 24,928.96 3,365.41 €28,294.37
    First Floor Item 5,875.38 793.18 €6,668.56
    First Floor Partitions Item 2,191.64 295.87 €2,487.51
    Roof Structure and Finishes Item 31,932.13 4,310.84 €36,242.97
    External Doors and Windows Item 20,296.32 2,740.00 €23,036.32

Building Finishes
    Internal Joinery Item 10,815.56 1,460.10 €12,275.66
    External Plaster Work Item 6,954.57 938.87 €7,893.44
    Internal Plaster Work Item 19,818.68 2,675.52 €22,494.20
    Building Services
    Rainwater Installation Item 828.96 111.91 €940.87
    Heating Installation Item 11,052.96 1,492.15 €12,545.11
    Mechanical Ventillation Item 5,591.91 754.91 €6,346.82
    Plumbing Installation Item 7,635.01 1,030.73 €8,665.74
    Supply of Sanitary Fittings Allowance 3,699.00 499.37 €4,198.37
    Electrical Installation Item 7,802.50 1,053.34 €8,855.84

Building Decoration
    Painting to Doors and Internal Joinery Item 1,655.37 223.47 €1,878.84
    Painting to Internally to Walls and/or Ceilings Item 3,450.72 465.85 €3,916.57
    Painting to External Plaster Work Item 0.00

Building Fit out
    Fire Surrounds Allowance 1,321.59 178.41 €1,500.00
    Fitted Wardrobes Allowance 704.85 95.15 €800.00
    Kitchen and Utility Fittings Allowance 8,810.57 1,189.43 €10,000.00
    Wall and Floor Tiling Allowance 7,048.46 951.54 €8,000.00

Attic Conversion
    Minimal Conversion Item
    Full Conversion Item

Site Preparation
    Temporary Entrance, Site Strip and Temporary HardstandingsItem 1,698.76 229.33 €1,928.09

Site Boundaries
    Gates and Entrance Walls Allowance 2,643.17 356.83 €3,000.00
    Boundary Walling and Fencing Allowance 1,762.11 237.88 €1,999.99

Paths and Pavings
    Concrete Path To Building 2,110.68 284.94 €2,395.62
    Tarmac Driveway 20m long and Carpark area for 2 Cars 3,527.20 476.17 €4,003.37

Building Services Piped and Ducted
    Surface Water Drainage Item 1,560.03 210.60 €1,770.63
    Foul Water Drainage Item 13,990.02 1,888.65 €15,878.67
    Rising Water Mains Item 386.10 52.12 €438.22
    Bored Well Allowance 4,500.00 607.50 €5,107.50
    Building Services (Mainly Electrical) 0.00
    Cable Ducting Item 733.02 98.96 €831.98
    Landscaping 0.00
    Landscaping and Grassing Allowance 1,762.11 237.88 €1,999.99
    Sub - Total 231,469.47 31,248.38 €262,717.85

Overheads and Insurances 10.00% 23,146.95 3,124.84 €26,271.78
    Contingency
    Price ExVat Vat (13.5%) Total Price
    Total Cost Planning 254,616.42 34,373.22 €288,989.63
    Contingency 15% 38,192.46 5,155.98 €43,348.44
    Worst Case Cost 292,808.88 39,529.20 €332,338.08

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Very hard to see how he can price it with any degree of accuracy without construction drawings being prepared.

A few observations:
    No allowance for planning, design, development contributions or ESB connection charges.

It mentions a fire surround but no allowance for a stove, flue or fitting of same. You can't meet regulations with an open fire.
    No cost for the attic conversion which suggest he hasn't priced for the full 2700sq ft.
    4k for the drive and yard doesn't sound achievable.
    5k may cover boring the well but will it cover the pump, expansion vessel, filtration system, construction of the pump house, piping to house?

What's the proposed wall build up, target u values, method of achieving air tightness?

Really I think it's time to consult an architect, he or she will know what build costs are in the area and design a house of a size that you can afford that will meet the building regulations.
    I've no idea why people start out on the house design process with a target floor area that they want. Surely the smallest house that meets your needs is the one to go for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

That is a turn key house.

Tarmac for instance is an expense that could be postponed to a later date, and in any event a lot of people who used tarmac in the past 10 years find it difficult to maintain to it's fresh appearance

Sorry that tarmac is incorrect. It will just be hardcore but the budget is there.

air wrote: »
    Very hard to see how he can price it with any degree of accuracy without construction drawings being prepared.

A few observations:
    No allowance for planning, design, development contributions or ESB connection charges.

It mentions a fire surround but no allowance for a stove, flue or fitting of same. You can't meet regulations with an open fire.
    No cost for the attic conversion which suggest he hasn't priced for the full 2700sq ft.
    4k for the drive and yard doesn't sound achievable.
    5k may cover boring the well but will it cover the pump, expansion vessel, filtration system, construction of the pump house, piping to house?

What's the proposed wall build up, target u values, method of achieving air tightness?

Really I think it's time to consult an architect, he or she will know what build costs are in the area and design a house of a size that you can afford that will meet the building regulations.
    I've no idea why people start out on the house design process with a target floor area that they want. Surely the smallest house that meets your needs is the one to go for.

Thanks for input all in very helpful!

Planning and design is separately costed and covered.

I have been in consultation with an architect and have plans ready to go but I was just looking for some other opinions. I can probably show a builder some detailed drawings before purchasing I guess but not 100℅. Basically I want to make sure I can afford this before I go ahead and pay the sum for drawings.

Also 5k should cover full cost of well from quotes I have got.

It's not so much an attic conversion but a dormer and it has been included in the costings. Stoves are covered also, not sure what under. There are 2 covered anyway.

There is a 30yard driveway, I would think 4 k is reasonable for this as it is just hardcore.

You'll need to have your architect prepare a set of tender drawings if you're going to have an effective bidding process with a few builders. Without good drawings each builder will price for different specifications which may lead to you going with the wrong builder and incurring additional unexpected costs.
    You need to pay for the drawings now or pay the architect for budgeting advice, you're putting the cart before the horse to a large extent. When you say purchasing, do you mean the site?

The well quotes are surely assuming drilling to a certain depth, they generally charge per metre for the drilling and lining and then fixed costs for the essentials. 5k sounds very cheap to be honest, they must be very confident of finding high quality water at a shallow depth.

4k for the hardcore drive is more realistic.
    Are the stoves specified, type of chimney liner (should be going for 904 stainless) etc?
    Also have you allowed for a wood store somewhere?

So your minimum base cost is 290k, excluding planning and design.
    That's surely going to take it over 300k, then you have development contributions which look to be €14k for the size of house you're planning.
    ESB connection will probably be around the €2k mark also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Doorcase wrote: »
    Would would build two houses 2700 sq foot for that price. Dont know where some of these massive prices come out off!

Have you built since 2011 part L regs? And 2015 building control regs?

Did you hire a main contractor to fully complete house - ready to move in?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Basically I want to make sure I can afford this before I go ahead and pay the sum for drawings..
    hire a Quanity surveyor to do a +\- 10% based on the drawings you have
    As others have stated - it's pie in the sky unless you do this..

BryanF wrote: »
    hire a Quanity surveyor to do a +\- 10% based on the drawings you have
    As others have stated - it's pie in the sky unless you do this..

I have done that. That's where I got the initial prices from in previous page. This was easily 150 grand less than the 450 to 500k mentioned by other posters which has thrown me off again. I suppose I'm just looking for as much info as possible

Check out Tefral's thread here with detailed costs.
    Cheaper part of the country, smaller house and the cost was €369k exclusive of planning, ESB connection, water, design and development contributions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Draper38

Hi,
    I am hoping to build a new 2 story circa 260sq/m in mid Cork, any ideas on costing to builders finish excluding landscaping?
    Also would I be better served financially appointing a main contractor to oversee the project or attempt to manage myself with directly employed sub contractors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You'll be lucky to get that done for €240K and could be closer to €300K.
    Unless you have both the skills and at as important the time, project managing it yourself is a difficult ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Draper38

Water John wrote: »
    You'll be lucky to get that done for €240K and could be closer to €300K.
    Unless you have both the skills and at as important the time, project managing it yourself is a difficult ask.
    Thanks,

Would need to pull it in for the 240k mark being realistic. I am an electrician myself so would have some knowledge (which might be dangerous!) but have been working abroad for the last few years so not fully up to speed on the new regs that were introduced etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,523 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well take an engineer on board to guide you on those. If you have trade contacts then you can do it.
    The €240K was a keen contract price, that some bids came in nearer the €300K, but that is 18 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

You need to be available at all times if you are managing building a house yourself and preferably hands on

In fact you are better off to be labouring for yourself

It is very difficult to manage a self build remotely

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Does anybody have a rough estimate of cost, per sq metre , of building a house in Dublin city in 2017?

I read it is in the 1500-2000 per/m2 range? does that make sense?

Thanks

I know it is not comparable... but it is interesting to see that this house in Mallorca has just won the best family house of the year in the World Architecture Festival 2016.. and the building cost was just 1350 sq/m2

https://www.dezeen.com/2016/09/16/mm-house-oliver-hernaiz-architecture-lab-mallorca-spain-white/
    energy: 100% passive

• Registered Users Posts: 20,084 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

cnocbui wrote: »

very useful. thank you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

mikelata wrote: »
    Does anybody have a rough estimate of cost, per sq metre , of building a house in Dublin city in 2017?

I read it is in the 1500-2000 per/m2 range? does that make sense?

Thanks

Including site, professional fees and full compliance with our regulations, 2k per square meter would be minimum I would think.

kceire wrote: »
    Including site, professional fees and full compliance with our regulations, 2k per square meter would be minimum I would think.

I used the scsi link that cnocbui posted and it also gives an average of 2k/sq m all included (not the site)

I am surprised that these estimates include the professional fees (including VAT)... as I thought that the build cost estimate would be:
    - 1500-2000 per/m2 range (no VAT included)
    - professional fees: and extra 15% to the the total building cost

So, this is cheaper than i thought

• Advertisement

mikelata wrote: »
    I used the scsi link that cnocbui posted and it also gives an average of 2k/sq m all included (not the site)

I am surprised that these estimates include the professional fees (including VAT)... as I thought that the build cost estimate would be:
    - 1500-2000 per/m2 range (no VAT included)
    - professional fees: and extra 15% to the the total building cost

So, this is cheaper than i thought

When you add in kitchen, flooring, landscaping, contributions, you will see this figure rise significampntly.

• cnocbui wrote: »

Which region do think would be best to use for building in Kildare? surely it wouldn't be Dublin prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Which region do think would be best to use for building in Kildare? surely it wouldn't be Dublin prices?

Midway through a build and reading the figures I can only conclude that accurately projecting a build is about as accurate as pushing a rope

We are building a standard design 2750sqft A3 house in Galway and expect to complete for 300k including fees. This however is a self build with some labour from yours truly and is much higher that I initially expected

2000 per sqm is very high imo but having said that prices are rising steeply, particularly in the labour category as good tradesmen are scarce (demand/supply) and people are starting to realise the amount of time the new regulations are adding to build time and effort. If I were to start building today for example I know I would be paying 20% extra for blocklaying labour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Wegian wrote: »
    Midway through a build and reading the figures I can only conclude that accurately projecting a build is about as accurate as pushing a rope

We are building a standard design 2750sqft A3 house in Galway and expect to complete for 300k including fees. This however is a self build with some labour from yours truly and is much higher that I initially expected

2000 per sqm is very high imo but having said that prices are rising steeply, particularly in the labour category as good tradesmen are scarce (demand/supply) and people are starting to realise the amount of time the new regulations are adding to build time and effort. If I were to start building today for example I know I would be paying 20% extra for blocklaying labour

Thanks for the post, I always appreciate a truly honest post.

I can see me stating this many times in the future "accurately projecting a build is about as accurate as pushing a rope"

Wegian wrote: »
    If I were to start building today for example I know I would be paying 20% extra for blocklaying labour

+1
    My cousins (Building Contractor) 2 blockies here in Dublin told him in January that their day rate was rising from 130 to 180. My cousin laughed and said I priced you at the lower rate, so they said this is the last job at this rate. Were getting it and more elsewhere, so all jobs going forward are now priced at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hanafine

kceire wrote: »

Just wondering what kind of finish would you get for that I.e. are all interiors finished.. External.
    Starting hse soon so trying to get some idea of cost. Seems like prices are creeping up!!

hanafine wrote: »
    Just wondering what kind of finish would you get for that I.e. are all interiors finished.. External.
    Starting hse soon so trying to get some idea of cost. Seems like prices are creeping up!!

Current job on site. 1890 per square meter. Doesn't include kitchen. Doesn't include floor coverings but it does include the laying of the floor coverings that the client buys. Does included chrome led spots throughout, painted finish, bathroom fitted out to basic sanitary ware and splash back tiles.

44 square meter extension, ground floor renovation and dashing of external face of end of terrace house in your typical north Dublin suburb.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

hanafine wrote: »

Including site, fees, contributions and external works (paving, garage) we're at 2,200 p m2 for north east with a very small contingency factored in (around 8K). This excludes kitchen, sanitaryware and the floor finishes- ie. tiles and wooden floors (although laying floors and tiling is included).

We were due to start about 9 months ago and our builder backed out- prices from second tender came in a good bit higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Mixmix, are you sure 2200 is not a typo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Im sure!! That includes the cost of the site and fees including council contributions. Excluding site and fees- i.e. the actual build is 332k for a 200m2. Modern and pretty high spec I guess (more than average glazing- which will be aluclad). Not passive but well exceeding regs. Prices came in as high as 370k. When we originally bought the site our arch estimated 250k for the build but years have passed due to planning delays and it's definitely not what we thought it was going to cost when we first decided to build :eek:

Advertisement