Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

john_eire wrote: »
    The pvc for 850 is the parts and labour
    How big is the house?

I got quoted 800 labour for same job
    House 2500sqft 2 story

Pic a couple of posts up. Circa 2150-2200.

It is done already on one gable as seen in pic.

850 is supply and fit. Your price seems high, perhaps it includes labor to fit gutters aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

893bet wrote: »
    Some prices in for Guttering and soffit and fascia

Black Aluminium seamless gutters all around house 380 euro (approx 40 metres)
    Black PVC soffit and fascia 850 euro (apprx 54 metres, bead already in place)
    Down pipes 120 euro

Supply and fit

Ive had four quotes for 55m of aluminium gutters, and 87m of black PVC soffit & fascia
    1) €2100
    2) €2200
    3) €2950
    4) €4000

Clearly the last fella was away with the faries

• Registered Users Posts: 39 chikatee

When people are saying for example 1500 per sq m what does this include? To what finish? Inclusive of all initial plans costs, council fees etc?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

chikatee wrote: »
    When people are saying for example 1500 per sq m what does this include? To what finish? Inclusive of all initial plans costs, council fees etc?

Id expect a turn key finish including waste & landscaping. But this would typically exclude site, professional, Council & connection fees. Any m2 cost is only a rough guide. There are so many factors at play, and of course new regulations that many of your friends & family will not have delt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nidge88

Hi,

roughly how much to build a 3000sq ft house in Kilkenny, 2 storey,geo-thermal heating, concrete slab 1st floor, clear the site and drill well and sewrage

i want to do it direct labour if it is possible as i will be wiring it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 sb2015

BryanF wrote: »
    Id expect a turn key finish including waste & landscaping. But this would typically exclude site, professional, Council & connection fees. Any m2 cost is only a rough guide. There are so many factors at play, and of course new regulations that many of your friends & family will not have delt with.

After many months of looking and getting valuable info of this forum this is my first post!
    BryanF if you are excluding professional fees from your build estimate what impact do the latest building control regulations have on this figure?
    Hopefully starting our build later this year so very interested in this topic at present.

sb2015 wrote: »
    After many months of looking and getting valuable info of this forum this is my first post!
    BryanF if you are excluding professional fees from your build estimate what impact do the latest building control regulations have on this figure?
    Hopefully starting our build later this year so very interested in this topic at present.
    It's hard to say what % cost the new si9 building control law is having, it's two soon imo. The pool of professionals has been reduced which is not helping competion, but the many unknown is PI insurance bills once these regulations are tested in the courts. BUT I'll leave that explanation at that , as there is a thread dedicated to the new Building control regs.

Separately there have been hundreds of pages of new building regulations in the last ten years, with 60% lower emissions expected, materials have gone up, health & safety has increased etcetc all these things are impacting on cost

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Newbuild2015

Hi just wondering how much would it cost to build a 4 bed traditional 2 story in county kerry in the countryside and where / how do I start the process ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dingdang

Hi,
    We have been granted PP to build a house in Co. Westmeath. My sister is also building on a site beside us and also has PP. I presume it would make sense to go with the same builder and if so should we each expect to save money on the build.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

dingdang wrote: »
    Hi,
    We have been granted PP to build a house in Co. Westmeath. My sister is also building on a site beside us and also has PP. I presume it would make sense to go with the same builder and if so should we each expect to save money on the build.

Thanks in advance.

Yes of course it would but you need to have each job priced seperatly. There would be economies of scale in terms of having plant on site for excavations and the trades there. Delivery of materials might also be cheaper. If you are supplying the materials yourself rent or buy a 40 ft container with a strong lock so you can keep everything safe from the thieving ....!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

dingdang wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Yes it makes sense but it can also be a nightmare if any type of issue arises with the builder. I have seen it happen on a number of sites with this type of setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

Hi all, I have a rural site in North Mayo and hope to apply for planning in Summer and make a start. 2 Questions really:

Anyone here ever considered buying house plans online?, and if so any use?

Also, what would one estimate as near completion (i.e. All 2nd fix done and just painting and kitchen needed). Exclude landscaping for now. Also, I have friends and family members and friends in the industry who I know I can get good prices from including Carpenter (1st and 2nd Fix), Electrician and Plumber.

Any indications or relative experience would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hi,

currently live in Wicklow in a semi detached bungalow and we looking to build an extension..... roughly 40 sq m (i think that is the most you can do without planning permission ?)... Any ideas what this might cost including a decent finish?... looking at new kitchen, diner...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 KellyPavlik

Regarding my previous post, forgot to include that I am looking at Dormer or Bungalow, with around 1500 to 1700 Sq. Ft.

"Hi all, I have a rural site in North Mayo and hope to apply for planning in Summer and make a start. 2 Questions really:

Anyone here ever considered buying house plans online?, and if so any use?

Also, what would one estimate as near completion (i.e. All 2nd fix done and just painting and kitchen needed). Exclude landscaping for now. Also, I have friends and family members and friends in the industry who I know I can get good prices from including Carpenter (1st and 2nd Fix), Electrician and Plumber.

Any indications or relative experience would be greatly appreciated."

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭murphy31ie

2500sq foot house in Donegal, shell of house built by local company for 67k excluding VAT. Site works and founds, slabs on both floors, blockwork and cut roof with Spanish slate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

building-law-reforms-to-slash-costs-of-constructing-new-homes

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/building-law-reforms-to-slash-costs-of-constructing-new-homes-31032600.html

Will it happen and to what sort of a time frame I wonder....

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭murphy31ie

I wonder will the changes be brought in for houses currently be construed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Balmed Out wrote: »
    ...slash costs...

Sensationalist IMHO. There is no real substance to that article as there is no real change proposed by Alan Kelly, and, crucially, no time frame either!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sfla1517

Hi there,

New on here and so happy to find this forum.

We have just had an offer accepted on a 1930 3-bed Semi in Co. Kerry. Fair bit of work to get it up to date but all doable.

Our main question is what we should expect to pay on a single story kitchen extension. We'll also need a utility and bathroom. It will be a back ext and ideally we'd like to keep it below the 40 sq threshold. We love the box style contemporary extensions, or something that achieves a similar look and feel.

Would love to know what we could expect to pay for this and also what we should allocate for an architect to draw up the plans. We are budgeting €35-40K for all building work and finish (but not fitted kitchen and furniture).

Thanks for any guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭vertico

sorry to jump in here but, what is the going rate for getting blocks built i n dublin at the moment?
    eg. a new build,extension thru the opes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 chikatee

If a house is to roof level, triple glaze windows in, outside plastered only, first fix plumbing done and the house is 230 sqm , what would a very general figure be per sqm be to finish the house. No insulationan all yet even in block cavity.

If a house is to roof level, triple glaze windows in, outside plastered only, first fix plumbing done and the house is 230 sqm , what would a very general figure be per sqm be to finish the house. No insulationan all yet even in block cavity.
    Can't be answered
    Hire a QS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

As per bryan, you need to have a schedule of works in order to confirm the value of whats left. Cost per ft2/m2 is a dart board budget and has no relevance to specific properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

1300 sq ft two storey house detached house to be constructed on large garden site of existing house in Firhouse

Existin house and site are in a housing estate

PP has been secured

And all services (water etc) are close to the site with good access etc.

Any ballpark figures for construction cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Hi all,
    I'm hoping to begin building my own house sometime next year,i have my own site which i've yet to apply for planning, i'll be going down the self-build route. Judging by the existing houses on the road i would imagine a dormer type house is what i'll be approved for provided i get planning.
    What i'm writing to try find out about is how much could i build a 2000sq foot dormer, kitchen/living, utility, sitting rm, d/s shower room which will double as an en-suite to an office which will double as a d/s bedroom, master bedroom w/en-suite and walk in wardrobe, bedroom 2&3 to share an ensuite. Also a modest garage which will house the central heating boiler. I'm an electrician and apart from wiring the house myself i'm planning on doing the majority of the plumbing, also hope to tile it myself and and possibly scratch coat the concrete walls inside and do all the insulating and slabbing, i plan on using a minimum of 72.5mm insulated slab on inside of external walls. Regarding finishes i plan to keep everything rather modest nothing overly expensive. Does anybody think i could build it for roughly €120,000? Also i'm in Clare if that's a help. Thanks to all.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm hoping to begin building my own house sometime next year,i have my own site which i've yet to apply for planning, i'll be going down the self-build route. Judging by the existing houses on the road i would imagine a dormer type house is what i'll be approved for provided i get planning.
    What i'm writing to try find out about is how much could i build a 2000sq foot dormer, kitchen/living, utility, sitting rm, d/s shower room which will double as an en-suite to an office which will double as a d/s bedroom, master bedroom w/en-suite and walk in wardrobe, bedroom 2&3 to share an ensuite. Also a modest garage which will house the central heating boiler. I'm an electrician and apart from wiring the house myself i'm planning on doing the majority of the plumbing, also hope to tile it myself and and possibly scratch coat the concrete walls inside and do all the insulating and slabbing, i plan on using a minimum of 72.5mm insulated slab on inside of external walls. Regarding finishes i plan to keep everything rather modest nothing overly expensive. Does anybody think i could build it for roughly €120,000? Also i'm in Clare if that's a help. Thanks to all.

Not a snow balls chance in hell and that's from someone who is lucky to still be self building.

hexosan wrote: »
    Not a snow balls chance in hell and that's from someone who is lucky to still be self building.

Really thanks for the reply. Was doing very rough estimates purely off the top of my head and it came in at €158,000. Think i need to chat to some of my mates who are also tradesmen and see their opinions, could never have enough eyes.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Really thanks for the reply. Was doing very rough estimates purely off the top of my head and it came in at €158,000. Think i need to chat to some of my mates who are also tradesmen and see their opinions, could never have enough eyes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198631

You might also have a look at this. Could put an end to your hope of self building.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

hexosan wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057198631

You might also have a look at this. Could put an end to your hope of self building.

i wonder if u had the cash cud u just ignore all the red tape/ rules and build away once the PP comes thru ?

• Advertisement

A fella over the road from me has since last March started a self-build, he has employed a chartered engineer and has gone the direct labour route. he says he estimates he'll save between 30 and 50,000 euros by not going with a builder. Does this mean that there are loopholes to get around the legal requirement for a builder

Advertisement