Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

bmm wrote: »
    i wonder if u had the cash cud u just ignore all the red tape/ rules and build away once the PP comes thru ?

No, it'd come back to bite you if you tried to sell or for your family when your 6ft under.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

BryanF wrote: »
    all requests for house building costs around the country, please post here, this thread is an update of this

keep the thread for discussing the pricing aspect only. For anything else please start a new thread.

there are dedicated threads/forums for discussing legalities of new building control regulations

We'll stick to prices in this one thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

893bet wrote: »
    So.........finished plastering outside today.

Spent to date: 86K (ish) on self build.
    Foundations: 16500 Foot print of circa 1250 f2, 120mm insulation, finished floor, plumbed for rads
    Blockwork: 14500 also includes all sills, lintels, materials and labour for timber first floor
    Roof: 14500 SVK fibre 20 yrs slates, includes 2300 to purchase scaffold
    Windows: 12000 light oak, 23 windows, 2 back doors, a french door, 0.8 window, no front door, this was cost price as I know the owner very well)
    Poujoulat Chimney system: 8K (would change this if i could)
    MVHR first fix: 5500 (only 800 left for second fix)
    Plastering outside 3600
    Airtightness materials 1300
    Council contrib 3000
    Planning costs 6000 includes site test, planning fees, architect, solicitor for site transfer, insurance,provis BER).

Hoping 50K will get me to builders finish.
    Plumbing and solar 21K
    Wiring: 10K
    Plastering inside 5K
    Insulation 4K (Wall and attic)
    External GW 8K (have planning for a standard septic tank).
    1K blower test and septic tank cert

So builders finish for 135K or around 63 per square foot. Mistakes made....plenty but enjoying the process.

Pic not up to date but you get the idea

IMAG0322.jpg

Great house you have there and fair play for the detailed post. Is there any updates on your build, I'd love to know the total outlay.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Great house you have there and fair play for the detailed post. Is there any updates on your build, I'd love to know the total outlay.

Cheers

That picture wasn't up to date. See attached now. Aprox 86K spent to date.

No real work done since. Just putting together elecyrical and plumbing spec.

Now attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That picture wasn't up to date. See attached now. Aprox 86K spent to date.

No real work done since. Just putting together elecyrical and plumbing spec.

I see... Great job if you can get it to come in under 140k, its a fine looking house and its the type of style we'd be going for.

Best of luck

That 140 to a builders finish. Realistically need 40-50 more then to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Could i ask have you any idea how much it would have cost you so far if you only built the 2 storey block and not the single storey part to the back? I know it's a very vague question, just a ball-park figure? Thank you.

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Could i ask have you any idea how much it would have cost you so far if you only built the 2 storey block and not the single storey part to the back? I know it's a very vague question, just a ball-park figure? Thank you.

That was the most expensive part due to glazing, corner lintel, Frencd doors and a second back door and hip roof so I would say account for 15-20k of the budget.

Either way my prices are largely irrelavant to anyone who hasn't started yet and have to deal with the new regulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Bscan86

Really, I've looked at the new regs and couldn't really understand what has changed, have heard a few stories and then some which contradict the stories so my knowledge is nil. What is new which adds such extra costs?

• Advertisement

Bscan86 wrote: »
    Really, I've looked at the new regs and couldn't really understand what has changed, have heard a few stories and then some which contradict the stories so my knowledge is nil. What is new which adds such extra costs?

You need an assigned certifier to stand over your build.
    99.9% of assigned certifiers won't want to be involved in a self build where you hire all the trades separate yourself and instead want a single contractor (who ironically will prob then sub out a lot of the work). So you must hire a builder.

This is OT to thread so best ask your questions in the dedicated sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭letitroll

letitroll wrote: »
    1300 sq ft two storey house detached house to be constructed on large garden site of existing house in Firhouse

Existin house and site are in a housing estate

PP has been secured

And all services (water etc) are close to the site with good access etc.

Any ballpark figures for construction cost?

Any body wanna chip in on the above, very curious

letitroll wrote: »
    1300 sq ft two storey house detached house to be constructed on large garden site of existing house in Firhouse

Existin house and site are in a housing estate

PP has been secured

And all services (water etc) are close to the site with good access etc.

Any ballpark figures for construction cost?

190k + 50k in professional fees,council charges, connection fees etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...quote a friend got from an Architect for current building costs in Galway inside the last week....yikes...

"For New Build Projects in Galway;

€1420 incl VAT (€1250 ex VAT) per sqm for Basic Build Level.

This would not include a waste water treatment system or site works and should allow for a basic design, such as oil boiler, paint finish, standard insulation, standard size PVC windows, screed flooring left for carpets, carpeted timber stairs, ceramic tiles to bathroom & kitchen, standard bathrooms and a basic kitchen of about €4000 value).

€1985 incl VAT ( €1750 ex VAT) per sqm for Standard Build Level.

This should allow for a standard design with some minor complexity, waste water treatment system, standard site works, underfloor heating with oil boiler, paint finish, standard insulation, timber and porcelain tile flooring, hardwood stairs, timber windows with large opening sliding panels, wetrooms and a standard-range kitchen). Naturally, if choosing designer or bespoke fixture and fittings, this shall further increase.

€2300 incl VAT (€2025 ex VAT) per sqm for High End Build Level.

This should allow for a complex design, waste water treatment system, standard siteworks with some landscaping, underfloor heating with ground pump and heat recovery, coloured render finish, low energy insulation, timber and terrazzo flooring or marble/stone/porcelain tiling, hardwood or concrete stairs, alu-clad windows with large sliding panels, wetrooms and a mid-range kitchen). Naturally, if choosing designer or bespoke fixture and fittings or a high-end range kitchen, this shall further increase."

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

This seems outrageous high!! Please someone tell me it's on the high side, very much on the high side!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 paidioc

Seems a bit on the high side alright. I just started a self build and our projected budget is bringing things in a good bit cheaper... around 1000e per sq m and it's a fairly decent spec finish

paidioc wrote: »
    Seems a bit on the high side alright. I just started a self build and our projected budget is bringing things in a good bit cheaper... around 1000e per sq m and it's a fairly decent spec finish
    what has self-building got to do with those prices?
    Between now and finishing your build, calculate your time and All labour that you/family/friends put in. Come back and tell is what the final (final) figures are. Until then this us just another 'I reckon' post.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

2167 sq ft house Donegal

Includes

Site clearance/sewage
    Concrete first floor
    Air to water heat system/underfloor heating
    A3 energy rating
    Landscaping/concrete kerbing/lawns/fence
    PC sum
    €10k kitchen
    €5k stairs
    €4.5k bathrooms
    Hardwood skirting/architrave
    High electrical spec

€192,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Murt15 wrote: »
    2167 sq ft house Donegal

Includes

Site clearance/sewage
    Concrete first floor
    A3 energy rating
    PC sum
    €10k kitchen
    €5k stairs
    €4.5k bathrooms
    High electrical spec

€192,000

Sound like a good price.does it include vat, fees and certification?

Could you pm me your builders details as I will be looking for one.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Sound like a good price.does it include vat, fees and certification?

Could you pm me your builders details as I will be looking for one.

Yes includes VAT, does not include other professional fees, our architect/assigned assessor is approx €5k

Also does not include paint/floors/tiles which we are doing ourselves

This wasn't the cheapest either. We had another tender price €8k less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Yes includes VAT, does not include other professional fees, our architect/assigned assessor is approx €5k

Also does not include paint/floors/tiles which we are doing ourselves

This wasn't the cheapest either. We had another tender price €8k less

Still a great price, under 100 euro a square foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2167 sq ft house Donegal

Includes

Site clearance/sewage
    Concrete first floor
    A3 energy rating
    PC sum
    €10k kitchen
    €5k stairs
    €4.5k bathrooms
    High electrical spec

€192,000

You're doing very well there: is it a self-build, or contract ?

And, there's the regional issue: building in Donegal will always be cheaper than, say Dublin, or Galway. Just the way costs are.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »

And, there's the regional issue: building in Donegal will always be cheaper than, say Dublin, or Galway. Just the way costs are.

That's the contract price. Wouldn't have the time or knowledge for a self build.

galwaytt wrote: »

I'd like to see a break down on cost of building a similar house in Donegal v some of the Southern city's v kerry (only picked as an example :))

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tbukela

Price for a 215 sq m house in County Cork

Site clearance/waste treatment unit
    ASHP with UFH/Rads upstairs
    Timber First floor
    Prov BER A3, better then minimum insulation spec
    Thrutone Plus Roof Slates
    Oak internal joinery
    Concrete footpaths
    All electrics.
    Includes a lot of glazing.

€200k incl VAT.

Professional/Connection Fees another €18.5K.

One bit of advice that I nearly learnt the hard way, check the computation of your council development fee. I was originally overcharged by almost €1,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Hi folks, looking for an estimate of cost to remodel an existing 1970s bungalow in a village in Tipperary. It's currently a 3-bed 115sq mix of sloped & flat roof that will need extending to 4-bed, 150sq m total. Walls/foundations are sound but will need exterior insulating. House may need complete reroofing as existing layout is odd & won't work. Will need new windows, new mains gas-fired heating system, prob won't bother with underfloor heating. We're considering switch to dormer, PP & engineer's report allowing. Electrics will be done at cost, services all existing & adequate.

Unsure at this stage if demolition & rebuild would be better option (PP for rebuild doesn't seem a problem in area).

Cheers for any input!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 munstermolly

Could you please explain how you would go about checking this without appealing it as a condition

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Could you please explain how you would go about checking this without appealing it as a condition

Checking which part?

What kind of prices have people been getting for wiring?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

What kind of prices have people been getting for wiring?

€5 a chase
    €30 a point

Advertisement