Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

blue star wrote: »

to be build 1800sq bunglow is 320,000 quoted from a builder

does this seem outrages?

Whats the spec on the house? Seems mad but if it had a high spec Mechanical and Electrical and BER i could see that being ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

nothing out of the orginary at all, very basic house. no stone. was quoted 275000 for a dormer which is alot bigger. its mad money. !!!

sorry friend was quoted not me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Whispered wrote: »
    Wondering what is the least we could realistically spend on a self build. We would be looking at options such as log cabin, modular and your normal construction. We were even considering placing a mobile home. (Having never stayed in one that might not be a runner, I don't know)

On family land so that is not a cost consideration and an easily accessible site. funds are extremely tight and we are happy to keep things as basic as needed. Maybe even to go in stages if that's possible?

Plans not done yet and planning permission to be sought. We'd want a modest 2 bed, open plan bungalow.

So how much do you think we'd be looking at. Any money saving tips?

My cost saving tip is don't build buy a place. (This from someone building at the minute)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shrekanddonkey

hexosan wrote: »
    My cost saving tip is don't build buy a place. (This from someone building at the minute)

Really??? What are your costs at the moment?

We are hoping to build a 2200sq ft two storey house on Meath/ Dublin border. We have our planning permission and currently have build quotes ranging from 200k to 310k. We have a lot of friends and family who are tradesmen and labourers and are hoping to be able to build it for the 200k. Do you think this is unrealistic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

We are hoping to build a 2200sq ft two storey house on Meath/ Dublin border. We have our planning permission and currently have build quotes ranging from 200k to 310k. We have a lot of friends and family who are tradesmen and labourers and are hoping to be able to build it for the 200k. Do you think this is unrealistic?

Completely unrealistic

Unless you mean the building shell and your not including finishes and furniture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Well I know how much a house isn't in 2015..... €555/m2. ....spent time with a client today who was adamant he could build a high spec 324m2 house for 180k. ....oh dear. ..

That wouldn't cover materials. ...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Yes I would imagine it is realistic. I am at builders finish stage on a 3k sq/ft house. I hope to be in it for €220k. This includes landscaping, kitchen and fully fitted out inside, Underfloor heating through out ran by an air to water heat pump and also heat recovery installed. I know a few in the trades but nobody worked for nothing. No mates rates!
    The work I have done and will do would not add up to 2 or 3 thousand if I were to pay someone to do the same work.
    The house is built to current regs but I started before the new regs came into effect so not sure of the extra costs associated with them. The house could be finished a lot cheaper by fitting a cheaper kitchen, buying cheaper doors and flooring, using man made slates on the roof and using cheaper tradesmen but wouldn't recommend the latter.
    Get loads of prices and get quality tradesmen. Best of luck.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yes I would imagine it is realistic. I am at builders finish stage on a 3k sq/ft house. I hope to be in it for €220k. This includes landscaping, kitchen and fully fitted out inside, Underfloor heating through out ran by an air to water heat pump and also heat recovery installed. I know a few in the trades but nobody worked for nothing. No mates rates!
    The work I have done and will do would not add up to 2 or 3 thousand if I were to pay someone to do the same work.
    The house is built to current regs but I started before the new regs came into effect so not sure of the extra costs associated with them. The house could be finished a lot cheaper by fitting a cheaper kitchen, buying cheaper doors and flooring, using man made slates on the roof and using cheaper tradesmen but wouldn't recommend the latter.

Under old BC system means you wouldn't do it for that now. Completely different building industry landscape now. .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

galwaytt wrote: »
    Under old BC system means you wouldn't do it for that now. Completely different building industry landscape now. .

Where is the extra costs now? Engineers fees? What would they add up to?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

a main contractor

thanks thats promising news...!! iv got a quote from a person to sign it off for 7000 euro..if we go down the self build route which most people are doing as, just got a quote from a builder who is a away with the fairies... as another builder said.

so hard to know where to start and what to do

thanks thats promising news...!! iv got a quote from a person to sign it off for 7000 euro..if we go down the self build route which most people are doing as, just got a quote from a builder who is a away with the fairies... as another builder said.

so hard to know where to start and what to do

It is promising if, as Cavanjack did, you build under the old rules.

The cost increases you are facing are not only the €7k in fees, but the difference in work & workmanship his attendance will bring to the project. In other words, the €7k is the start of costs, not the end of them. Every tradesman on the job will need to provide you AC with all manner of info & certs etc as part of the job. There is more work for them involved as well.

I'm assuming that the AC you have got the price from is happy to work on a self-build in the first place.

Ode To The Motorist

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

certified products (steel, windows, renewables etc)
    prescribed products to be used
    certified construction techniques (acceptable details)
    all planning conditions to be met prior to occupation (landscaping, sewerage sign off etc)

and thats not to mention assigned and design certifiers fees, H+S fees, and main contractor engaged.

see here
    http://www.bregsforum.com/2015/04/29/e46k-additional-costs-fees-introduced-since-2012-for-a-typical-house/

galwaytt wrote: »
    It is promising if, as Cavanjack did, you build under the old rules.

The cost increases you are facing are not only the €7k in fees, but the difference in work & workmanship his attendance will bring to the project. In other words, the €7k is the start of costs, not the end of them. Every tradesman on the job will need to provide you AC with all manner of info & certs etc as part of the job. There is more work for them involved as well.

I'm assuming that the AC you have got the price from is happy to work on a self-build in the first place.

yes the AC has said he is able to sign off self build..he is doing many self builds in my area,as most people are seemingly going down that route instead of getting builder. but wonder will alan kelly change the rules in our favour
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/radical-plan-to-exempt-new-homes-from-building-rules-31192849.html

what type of into does the blocklayer etc need if going down down the self build route, i just thought if their work was perfect its signed off..

yes the AC has said he is able to sign off self build..he is doing many self builds in my area,as most people are seemingly going down that route instead of getting builder. but wonder will alan kelly change the rules in our favour
    http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/radical-plan-to-exempt-new-homes-from-building-rules-31192849.html

what type of into does the blocklayer etc need if going down down the self build route, i just thought if their work was perfect its signed off..

I can't speak for anyone else, but we did a job recently where the AC wanted samples taken and analysed of the mortar as well as the concrete.......on top of certs from the quarry for the blocks themselves, cement etc etc.. The blocklayer will need to provide some paperwork for his work, competency etc.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Builder Ben

I'm starting a new build in August. I was always of the opinion I can build for about €800/sqm. This is probably possible of you are aiming for the backstop values of the building regs.
    If aiming for u values of .15 and <1 levels of airtightness then the price increases considerably. Add in high performance windows and a heat pump with u/f heating and your rate can rise to €1100-€1300 sqm

I'm starting a new build in August. I was always of the opinion I can build for about €800/sqm. This is probably possible of you are aiming for the backstop values of the building regs.
    If aiming for u values of .15 and <1 levels of airtightness then the price increases considerably. Add in high performance windows and a heat pump with u/f heating and your rate can rise to €1100-€1300 sqm

Back stop U values WILL NOT get you to building ref compliance, that's a complete misunderstanding of the regs if you think that.

The ONLY way you will know if you comply or not is to get a preliminary DEAP assessment carried out.

I don't think €800 is remotely possible for a house under current regs.

Ode To The Motorist

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Back stop U values WILL NOT get you to building ref compliance, that's a complete misunderstanding of the regs if you think that.

The ONLY way you will know if you comply or not is to get a preliminary DEAP assessment carried out.[/quote

I never said I was aiming for the backstop uvalues, I'm aiming for a whole envelope of 0.15...

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

The ONLY way you will know if you comply or not is to get a preliminary DEAP assessment carried out.[/quote

I never said I was aiming for the backstop uvalues, I'm aiming for a whole envelope of 0.15...

well you DID say
    I was always of the opinion I can build for about €800/sqm. This is probably possible of you are aiming for the backstop values of the building regs.

so easy to see why it can be read that way.

id just say the "whole envelope at 0.15" ... in my experience you need to be hitting average elemental u values of 0.12 to be meeting regs (depending on house design)
    theres no "whole envelope" compliance check either in DEAP, just average opening u values.

so until you have a prelim DEAP assessment, any route down pricing is a waste of time.

I'd be suggesting 0.16 and upping airtightness for cost reasons.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »
    First price back at just over 7500 ex VAT.

Reasonably high spec but going for basic white fixtures

Wiring for two kitchen facilities
    Smoke alarm in every room
    6 Carbon monoxide alarms
    Plenty of sockets
    Some LED downlighters downstairs (where airtightness is no issue ;) )
    Couple of outdoors sockets, power for garage, electric gates, some LED flood lights etc.
    3 main TV points (with 4 wires), 3 other tv points (with 2 wires).

Second price was 7700 plus vat.
    Third price.....6k plus vat.

Very happy with all prices and delighted the person I actually want to do the job is the cheapest for once!

893bet wrote: »
    Second price was 7700 plus vat.
    Third price.....6k plus vat.

Very happy with all prices and delighted the person I actually want to do the job is the cheapest for once!

I'm presuming they are just your elec prices. Would you mind pm'ing me the details of your electrician? What part of the country are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭893bet

I'm presuming they are just your elec prices. Would you mind pm'ing me the details of your electrician? What part of the country are you in?

That's material and labour.

I am in Limerick area. Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 kevh1987

Would any knowledgeable person be able to give me a rough cost the construction for a 180m2 story and half house in Mayo along with a 70 m2 Garage. Any info would be appreciated

kevh1987 wrote: »
    Would any knowledgeable person be able to give me a rough cost the construction for a 180m2 story and half house in Mayo along with a 70 m2 Garage. Any info would be appreciated

House from 230k upwards, garage depends on how simple or otherwise

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 11 easilyled

We are looking at building a 2600sq ft in kildare plus basic double garage. I have some contacts in the industry so can get flooring/ bathrooms/ tiles at cost but looking for an idea of build costs. Looking for middle spec. Is there builders that will allow us to provide certain items ourselves? And wondering can the job be done for 240kincl vat but excluding architect and council fee's?

easilyled wrote: »
    We are looking at building a 2600sq ft in kildare plus basic double garage. I have some contacts in the industry so can get flooring/ bathrooms/ tiles at cost but looking for an idea of build costs. Looking for middle spec. Is there builders that will allow us to provide certain items ourselves? And wondering can the job be done for 240kincl vat but excluding architect and council fee's?

...tbh, what's a 'middle' spec ? Building-wise, it'll need to be A-rated anyway, but I think 240k is a little optimistic for that size.

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

easilyled wrote: »

You will need an certifer that will allow you to do certain works outside of a builders main contract.

May I suggest you reduce the size of your house to suit your budget. €1200/€1500m2 would be a better budgeting figure.

Advertisement