Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Purecuntish

easilyled wrote: »
    We are looking at building a 2600sq ft in kildare plus basic double garage. I have some contacts in the industry so can get flooring/ bathrooms/ tiles at cost but looking for an idea of build costs. Looking for middle spec. Is there builders that will allow us to provide certain items ourselves? And wondering can the job be done for 240kincl vat but excluding architect and council fee's?

In the middle of a single story build of similar size in North Kildare,id say your prob about 30-35k shy of whats needed to complete the build this side of the county,maybe be slightly cheaper in South Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 easilyled

Thanks guys. We have a little more to spend but trying to get our heads around costing. We have certifiers etc on board so we'll see how it goes. Need to get planning 1st but going to put out tenders over the coming weeks to get an idea of price

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

easilyled wrote: »
    Need to get planning 1st but going to put out tenders over the coming weeks to get an idea of price

Get an Architect to design you a modest house of less than 200m2 - you'll get 4beds, kitchen, dinning,sitting, living, utility for that amount of m2
    Minimise circulation space, and be realistic about your real needs and this m2 can be achieved.

Get a QS to price it. get planning. Then go for tender.

Go for tender when the QS has provided the tendering builders a Bill of Quantities

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

BryanF wrote: »
    Get an Architect to design you a modest house of less than 200m2 - you'll get 4beds, kitchen, dinning,sitting, living, utility for that amount of m2
    Minimise circulation space, and be realistic about your real needs and this m2 can be achieved.

Get a QS to price it. get planning. Then go for tender.

Go for tender when the QS has provided the tendering builders a Bill of Quantities

...QS will have to be told what you're building it out of, first.......... ;)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ah I see what your saying, I'd get a Qs to do a +/-20% prior to planning given that the op is so keen to go straight to builders for pricing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 swinford

Hi, just wondering in relation to the quote you have listed, there is no mention of Walls, Roof etc. is that price just specifically for the items you have listed?

Murt15 wrote: »
    2167 sq ft house Donegal

Includes

Site clearance/sewage
    Concrete first floor
    Air to water heat system/underfloor heating
    A3 energy rating
    Landscaping/concrete kerbing/lawns/fence
    PC sum
    €10k kitchen
    €5k stairs
    €4.5k bathrooms
    Hardwood skirting/architrave
    High electrical spec

€192,000

Hi, just wondering in relation to the quote you have listed, there is no mention of Walls, Roof etc. is that price just specifically for the items you have listed?

Recently received full planning permission for new build house 1.5 storey and garage in East Mayo. Got Engineer to put it out to Tender and got 7 prices back this week. House size is 2,170sq. Ft with ASHP and UFH. Tender prices included everything except Kitchen i.e Full Build, Landscaping etc. There was just over €33,000 in difference between lowest and highest price with the Average price coming in at just over €273,000. Thought it might have come in good bit lower that this TBH. Don't really have the time or the appetite to be going down the self-build route TBH so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this??. Would there really be much of a saving to be made by going the self-build route?? Would probably be able to source someone to do Roof and 2nd Fixing and Plumber to do heating and plumbing but after that dont know any other tradesmen to carry rest of the works. All comments greatly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

swinford wrote: »
    Recently received full planning permission for new build house 1.5 storey and garage in East Mayo. Got Engineer to put it out to Tender and got 7 prices back this week. House size is 2,170sq. Ft with ASHP and UFH. Tender prices included everything except Kitchen i.e Full Build, Landscaping etc. There was just over €33,000 in difference between lowest and highest price with the Average price coming in at just over €273,000. Thought it might have come in good bit lower that this TBH. Don't really have the time or the appetite to be going down the self-build route TBH so just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this??. Would there really be much of a saving to be made by going the self-build route?? Would probably be able to source someone to do Roof and 2nd Fixing and Plumber to do heating and plumbing but after that dont know any other tradesmen to carry rest of the works. All comments greatly appreciated

7 Tenders gives you a fair idea of what it costs. Before "self building/ direct labour" you would have to find an assigned certifier who would allow you to do it. By the sounds of it you are not in the building game so they shouldn't do that. 125 sq/ft Seem reasonable to me, assuming the drainage is included.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Yes everything bar floors/tiles/decorating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

or the QS can tell you what you have to build it out of to meet budget..... ;)

kkelliher wrote: »
    or the QS can tell you what you have to build it out of to meet budget..... ;)

...ah, but you see, there's the rub........... ;):D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tbh - that's a good price considering the ASHP and landscaping is included - I think you're doing well there. The fact that you got 7 tenders with a 12% range is a good indicator that you're in right range.

And no, I don't think it's feasible that it would have been "a good bit lower" - and I don't see self-build saving you anything tbh.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jiminho

What are people's thoughts on economy of scale? Obviously a 4000 sqft house doesn't cost twice the price of a 2000 sqft house to build. There won't be two kitchens more than likely, same number of utility connection, etc. Items may be bigger ie. such as bigger heat pump but even these don't get proportionaly more expensive as they increase in size. So my question is, using the above as an example, so approx 125e per sqft at 2200 sqft what would the equivalent 5000 sqft house cost as a percentage sqft of 125e? Make any assumptions as required but are we thinking 90%, 80% of 125?

jiminho wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on economy of scale? Obviously a 4000 sqft house doesn't cost twice the price of a 2000 sqft house to build. There won't be two kitchens more than likely, same number of utility connection, etc. Items may be bigger ie. such as bigger heat pump but even these don't get proportionaly more expensive as they increase in size. So my question is, using the above as an example, so approx 125e per sqft at 2200 sqft what would the equivalent 5000 sqft house cost as a percentage sqft of 125e? Make any assumptions as required but are we thinking 90%, 80% of 125?

It's not that simple, as the building design itself would have an influence. For instance, a bungalow would cost more per sq m than a two-storey, which in turn costs more than a three-storey.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jiminho

It's not that simple, as the building design itself would have an influence. For instance, a bungalow would cost more per sq m than a two-storey, which in turn costs more than a three-storey.

Absolutely but take the example from my post. Admittedly you don't know anything about it but that's not the point. Could be a bungalow or it could be a 10 storey house. Make any assumptions as required but just assume that a 2200 sqft house equates to 125e per sqft. What would an "equivalent" 5000 sqft house cost per sqft?

jiminho wrote: »
    Absolutely but take the example from my post. Admittedly you don't know anything about it but that's not the point. Could be a bungalow or it could be a 10 storey house. Make any assumptions as required but just assume that a 2200 sqft house equates to 125e per sqft. What would an "equivalent" 5000 sqft house cost per sqft?

Imho, wouldn't change it measurably. Ultimately the nett amount of materials would be pro-rata, as would labour & logisitics. Scale of building (say bigger rooms etc) may in fact incur higher charges due to structural works (more/bigger/heavier beams for example), and you might find SE charges similarly higher.

There would be some offset for economies in preliminaries, but at the end of the day it'll be a lot of left hand/right hand going on.

And I'd think €125 would be at the bottom of the spectrum.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

Hi,

Currently drawing up plans with an architect to build a roughly 2500 sq ft in Offaly. It will be story and a half on a flat site in the country. Going to have underfloor heating and concrete first floor.

I plan to get the site up to pouring the subfloor myself, have a relative who will clear the site, dig foundations etc. I plan on pouring subfloor and foundations myself,. These will have no direct labour cost, besides the time! The site is almost flat.

Just wondering what figure i'd likely build this for? i appreciate the information is scarce, but an estimate would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭johndoe11

Also i should have mentioned that i have a certifier who is happy for me to go this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ticket

Hi,

I am currently living in Australia and my house plans have just been granted.I was just wondering if anyone has got any building prices for new houses around wexford?

I am building a 2900sq feet and I am looking at getting a builder to build my house instead of going the self build route. Has anyone got any prices or advise that might help.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

ticket wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently living in Australia and my house plans have just been granted.I was just wondering if anyone has got any building prices for new houses around wexford?

I am building a 2900sq feet and I am looking at getting a builder to build my house instead of going the self build route. Has anyone got any prices or advise that might help.

Thanks

You'd be looking at around 350k ex fees and VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Scullydog

I just got 5 quotes for 333m2 two story house in Co Meath. Basic specifications, no kitchen, no bathrooms, no floors finishes.

1. €830,000 (€2,500/m2)
    3. €697,000 (€2,100/m2)
    3. €680,000 (€2,050/m2)
    4. €667,000 (€2,000/m2)
    5. €550,000 (€1,650/m2)

Any thoughts on the prices ?

Scullydog wrote: »
    I just got 5 quotes for 333m2 two story house in Co Meath. Basic specifications, no kitchen, no bathrooms, no floors finishes.

1. €830,000 (€2,500/m2)
    3. €697,000 (€2,100/m2)
    3. €680,000 (€2,050/m2)
    4. €667,000 (€2,000/m2)
    5. €550,000 (€1,650/m2)

Sit down with preferred or lower two bidders and see what you can do to reduce

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

I've just started in Mayo. I'm building 2800 sq ft plus 420 sq ft garage with a contractor for quite a bit less. Slightly over 100 Euro per sq ft and includes kitchen, flooring and bathrooms (Decent PC Sums). Quality Spec on house too. A2 Ber with airtightness. Meath would be dearer than Mayo but should not be that much. I've left out some landscaping but that's about it. Ready to move in otherwise. I got 3 prices close to this from builders but a few others were up at 140 Euro per sq ft. To me those prices seem high, even the lowest but there will be many more on here who don't think so. I also went thru quite a bit with preferred builders and managed to get the prices down a bit also as recommended above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Scullydog

Thanks Mixupat. I would agree with you. The prices seem exorbitant, but wanted to see what the forum thought. With your builders numbers, it would be more like €358,500. I'll have to find more reasonably priced builders from somewhere !

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Mixupat

Prices between Meath and Mayo will differ so €358,500 will be a challenge but there is a lot to get to 550k. Have a look around and ask questions on these forums. Maybe builders will travel also for a job like yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

Thanks Mixupat. I would agree with you. The prices seem exorbitant, but wanted to see what the forum thought. With your builders numbers, it would be more like €358,500. I'll have to find more reasonably priced builders from somewhere !

You got five prices...and in fact the lowest one is an outlier. It does sound on the saucy side but it probably just shows how much things are picking up on the east coast.

Want to save lot of money? Unless you have six kids, shave 100 sqm off your build. And maybe design with the potential from add luxuries (man cave/media room etc) in the future. Planning headache now....less mortgage for 30 years. Building at the mo myself. 207 sqm. 4 bed. More than enough space.

That 100sq ft talk was back in 2010, if you have a Dolorean handy...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

lownhard wrote: »

That 100sq ft talk was back in 2010, if you have a Dolorean handy...

Thats the prices stuff are getting built to builders finish around tipp/clare/limerick at the moment. Wouldnt expect that up around Meath though

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

1. €830,000 (€2,500/m2)
    3. €697,000 (€2,100/m2)
    3. €680,000 (€2,050/m2)
    4. €667,000 (€2,000/m2)
    5. €550,000 (€1,650/m2)

I'm well on with a house in Meath (self build) and will build it for a fraction of that (finished with a garage). Even though I started before the new regs I think them prices look fairly steep and you should at The very least be able to knock100k or -150k off them quotes. It's going to cost you at least 50k to finish house off inside with kitchen etc. Maybe look at going down the project manager route rather than a main contractor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mrshappy

Can anyone tell me what the average cost is in Cork, just read through the thread and it seems to vary depending on county. We are looking at getting a builder, have planning for 2,347sq ft (excluding attic space) so if anyone could give me a ball park figure, I would appreciate it

Advertisement