Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 thewhitetable

Any ideas for the cost of building a small approx 750sqft single story house. Already have elec and water connected on site. It would be kitchen/living area, 2 bedrooms and bathroom. Not expensive fittings but would like it as energy efficient as possible. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Scullydog wrote: »
    I just got 5 quotes for 333m2 two story house in Co Meath. Basic specifications, no kitchen, no bathrooms, no floors finishes.

1. €830,000 (€2,500/m2)
    3. €697,000 (€2,100/m2)
    3. €680,000 (€2,050/m2)
    4. €667,000 (€2,000/m2)
    5. €550,000 (€1,650/m2)

Any thoughts on the prices ?

.......currently working on a 270m2 in the West to a very particular spec: € 640,000 .......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9 markqs

I would love to see the plans as to what the architect and or your specification is for materials and the location of the site etc including method of construction.

a builder should be charging you in the region of €100-€110/sqft

assume your house is 3,583sqft and lets take the higher rate of €110 this should be coming in the region of, say €400k

now this does not including for tarmacadam to driveways, lawns, fron walls, gates but should include for a builders finish i.e walls plastered and painted, doors, skirting and architrave fitted (including painting) timber, tiling and carpentary included, no allowance for sanitary ware, kitchen, furniture etc.

those prices seem excessive to say the least.

markqs wrote: »
    I would love to see the plans as to what the architect and or your specification is for materials and the location of the site etc including method of construction.

a builder should be charging you in the region of €100-€110/sqft

assume your house is 3,583sqft and lets take the higher rate of €110 this should be coming in the region of, say €400k

now this does not including for tarmacadam to driveways, lawns, fron walls, gates but should include for a builders finish i.e walls plastered and painted, doors, skirting and architrave fitted (including painting) timber, tiling and carpentary included, no allowance for sanitary ware, kitchen, furniture etc.

those prices seem excessive to say the least.

I agree it's high, but it's what the arch wants, spec-wise, so who are we to challenge that !! Method of build is not a factor, but fit-out is. Fit out cost before anyone sets foot on site has already been costed at €220k..........

Your cost of €110 is too low though - €130 in Galway is more likely.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

galwaytt wrote: »
    .......currently working on a 270m2 in the West to a very particular spec: € 640,000 .......

@Galwaytt, might be worth recommending to your clients some builders in Clare and Limerick to look at some of your jobs for you. The prices around here are maxing out at around €110/m2

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,655 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cronin_j wrote: »
    @Galwaytt, might be worth recommending to your clients some builders in Clare and Limerick to look at some of your jobs for you. The prices around here are maxing out at around €110/m2

i dont think galwaytt will be doing that ;)

the latest job im doing in Laois, 2906 sq ft, A2 rated, 2 prices in so far... one is €91/sq ft, the other €93/sq ft
    VERY detailed spec to builders finish.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »

the latest job im doing in Laois, 2906 sq ft, A2 rated, 2 prices in so far... one is €91/sq ft, the other €93/sq ft
    Builders finish...

what in your opinion will it take to complete?

cronin_j wrote: »

...it just goes to show: location, location, location.......does have in an influence.

..at €91/ft2 I'd be going through that tender with a microscope: personally I don't see how that builder can make a living at that price.

Ode To The Motorist

BryanF wrote: »
    Builders finish...

what in your opinion will it take to complete?

as you know thats a very open ended question.

clients want to source the kitchen / sanitary ware etc themselves so anything could be paid.

is there any point comparing finished (turn key) costs to get a true reflection of house building costs over builders finish?

i would suspect another €20/sqft would put a high quality finish inside.

site costs are obviously extra on top

...it just goes to show: location, location, location.......does have in an influence.

..at €91/ft2 I'd be going through that tender with a microscope: personally I don't see how that builder can make a living at that price.

my specifications are very detailed.

the hardest thing i am having to do these days is getting the builders to price as per the bloody spec.

on a previous job one builders spec came back with 150 blown cavity with "insulated palsterboard" internally.... where the spec was for 150 full fill board.
    when queried the answer was "sure thats how we do it these days" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

my specifications are very detailed.

the hardest thing i am having to do these days is getting the builders to price as per the bloody spec.

True - and I have builders telling me why they won't : the cost of doing so. There's an awful lot of pricing going on and only a % hitting sites as actual builds.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭CheezePleeze

This looks like an interesting -snip-

I am waiting for them to take my drawings and process them. Think they can start taing jobs in August. Its only going to cost a couple hundred euros for an accurate market price, AND the ability to change things (windows, roof cover etc) and see immediately how the overall price changes.

Watch this space:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

Was at an engineer today looking for prices 2.5k to get to planning and another 6 k on top for completion

naughto wrote: »
    Was at an engineer today looking for prices 2.5k to get to planning and another 6 k on top for completion

..those figures are similar to ones I've seen in the West recently.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

..those figures are similar to ones I've seen in the West recently.

Was told by a few that it was on the high side a lot are saying 1500 to 2 k max to planning and 5 to completion
    Meeting another engineer tomorrow so will see if there's much in the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭FiOT

I paid €2500 to an Engineer to take us as far as planning (Meath). That included any changes we wanted made up until the point of submission and any work that may have been required for further information (there wasn't any).

Just make sure you know what you're getting for the price they are quoting you and then you can compare!

naughto wrote: »
    Was told by a few that it was on the high side a lot are saying 1500 to 2 k max to planning and 5 to completion
    Meeting another engineer tomorrow so will see if there's much in the difference

It's all down to how competitive people want to be, for work. Just make sure you're comparing apples with apples. We're on a site in Galway now and fees are a factor of 2x the number we're talking about here.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teresat

Hi, Just wondering can anybody tell me the price per sq met for building a 2 storey detached house in Mayo in 2015,

Sorry if this has already been asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

teresat wrote: »
    Hi, Just wondering can anybody tell me the price per sq met for building a 2 storey detached house in Mayo in 2015,

Sorry if this has already been asked.
    https://www.scsi.ie/advice/house_rebuilding_calculator

Site will be on top as well as all services, and fees

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks @calahonda52

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Surely a large flashing banner could be added to the forum which states the cost to build a house is €1,200-€1,500/m2 which would assist with the daily posts and thread which ask the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

So! Finished plastering today! House is plumbed first fix, electrical first fix, and fully plastered inside and out. No ground work completed.

2200 sq feet. 102K spent to date. Below all approx +/- 300

Planning costs/site transfer/insurance/council payment/engineer 10K
    Foundations 16.5K
    Block work 13K
    Roof 14K
    Windows 12K (trible glaze, 0.8 window. Cost price as family member owns a window company. Should have been 16-17K)
    Poujoulate chimney system 8K
    Plastering 10K
    HRV 5.5K
    Plumbing first 2.5K
    Electrical first 3K
    Airtighness material 2K
    Insulation 3.5K
    Misc 3K

Estimate to completion? 85K-90 not including driveway and landscaping, moveable furniture etc. This would be what I would see as a high quality finish including a 10K allowance for a kitchen excluding appliances, 6 K for a stairs, 5K for two high end stoves etc.

Time will tell!

Way to go, great to feel some completion, great detail o pricing, its eye opening. Best of luck with the rest, will keep a look out for updates!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

893bet wrote: »
    So! Finished plastering today! House is plumbed first fix, electrical first fix, and fully plastered inside and out. No ground work completed.

2200 sq feet. 102K spent to date. Below all approx +/- 300

Planning costs/site transfer/insurance/council payment/engineer 10K
    Foundations 16.5K
    Block work 13K
    Roof 14K
    Windows 12K
    Poujoulate chimney system 8K
    Plastering 10K
    HRV 5.5K
    Plumbing first 2.5K
    Electrical first 3K
    Airtighness material 2K
    Insulation 3.5K
    Misc 3K

Estimate to completion? 85K-90 not including driveway and landscaping, moveable furniture etc. This would be what I would see as a high quality finish including a 10K allowance for a kitchen excluding appliances, 6 K for a stairs, 5K for two high end stoves etc.

Time will tell!

5.5k for mech and elec...I cannot see how that is possible. Using cheapest quotes I have I'm looking at about 35-40k for mech and elec in Dublin. Same size house

3.5k for insulation...how is this possible with meeting regs for Floors, walls, roof? 150mm xtratherm at 60 per board. Assuming 100 Sqm foot print you might need min 35. That's 2k supply only for the floor...

lownhard wrote: »
    5.5k for mech and elec...I cannot see how that is possible. Using cheapest quotes I have I'm looking at about 35-40k for mech and elec in Dublin. Same size house

If you read the post in full you will see that is for first fix only. So just for the pulling of the cables and chasing of walls and the running of qualpex to radiators. None of the heavy lifting is done here yet so to speak. Prob another 20K to go here.
    lownhard wrote: »

3.5k for insulation...how is this possible with meeting regs for Floors, walls, roof?

This doesnt include floor insulation PIR which was approx 2k ish and is included as part of the foundation cost.

If you read the post in full you will see that is for first fix only. So just for the pulling of the cables and chasing of walls and the running of qualpex to radiators. None of the heavy lifting is done here yet so to speak. Prob another 20K to go here.

This doesnt include floor insulation PIR which was approx 2k ish and is included as part of the foundation cost.
    But you're not building under 2014 BCMS are you iirc ?

Ode To The Motorist

But you're not building under 2014 BCMS are you iirc ?

Absolutely not! Started two years ago!

Hoping to be in house in 14 months time! Which will be a 38 month build from first sod!

Absolutely not! Started two years ago!

Hoping to be in house in 14 months time! Which will be a 38 month build from first sod!

...current build costs under BCMS etc are a long way from where you are, so for teresat's purposes it's not relevant - sorry :o:(

Ode To The Motorist

...current build costs under BCMS etc are a long way from where you are, so for teresat's purposes it's not relevant - sorry :o

It is relevant as

1) There are still people building under old regs so it is useful for comparison

2) Self builds are still happening if the DC/AC allow them! There is one less than 1 mile from me currently in progress that started this year. In those cases the only extra cost is that of the DC/AC.
    Rightly or wrongly they are still happening.

And if my post is not relevant then this thread is pointless as it just turns into a price per sq foot type thread which is even less relevant given the difficulty comparing on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Rossdarragh1

Hi. I'm after buying a house in Tipperary that's completed to roof level. No windows installed , plastering , electrics, heating etc.
    Just roofed and slated. Bungalow 3,700 sq ft. Could anyone give me an idea of the cost per sq metre now that work has been completed to roof level. Middle spec. Not sure whether to go self build or builder. Probably self build as a lot of heavy construction has been done.

Advertisement