Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for cost of building a house in 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

Hi. I'm after buying a house in Tipperary that's completed to roof level. No windows installed , plastering , electrics, heating etc.
    Just roofed and slated. Bungalow 3,700 sq ft. Could anyone give me an idea of the cost per sq metre now that work has been completed to roof level. Middle spec. Not sure whether to go self build or builder. Probably self build as a lot of heavy construction has been done.

180k to 300k

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭patsy sally

any ideas how much a 165 square metres 4 bed dormer in county wexford would cost to build,no garage and no payment on site as i own it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

BryanF wrote: »

In that rebuild calculator it's significantly dearer to rebuild in Dublin than, say, the "North-East". Why is that when the land price is presumably excluded from a "rebuild" quotation?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

gaiscioch wrote: »
    In that rebuild calculator it's significantly dearer to rebuild in Dublin than, say, the "North-East". Why is that when the land price is presumably excluded from a "rebuild" quotation?

Where do you live? And how far do you commute to work? Can you park, dropping materials, have space to store material, get labour cheap in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

gaiscioch wrote: »

..because cost-of-living in Dublin is different. Different for the workers you'd use, and the amount they need to live on. Ditto for companies located there. Delivery charges may differ too - it's a myriad of things.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭bensboys

Any idea how much to build a 4 bed detached in a suburb on the south side of Cork city? We are thinking around 3000 Sq foot and the site is fully serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭lownhard

bensboys wrote: »
    Any idea how much to build a 4 bed detached in a suburb on the south side of Cork city? We are thinking around 3000 Sq foot and the site is fully serviced.

Budget 150 a sq ft plus all the fees. Architect, engineer, QS, planning permission, development contributions, water/esb/sewage.

Might not have much change out of 500k.

Maybe build it smaller, if planning not already obtained. Building a four bed two story detached in an urban setting at the mo. 2200 sq ft. Loads of space. Put a good 40 degree pitch on the roof and paid a bit extra for attic trusses. Extra 500 sq ft on top of regular house up there when we want it. We planned the ope for access from the outset. Might work for your if no height restrictions in the area.

Also, BryanF, one of the moderators of the forum knows the lie of the land leeside. He might be better placed to advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gcomer123

Hi all - rough cost to build the following? Assume planning already in place:
    - build on corner of existing house in side-garden
    - 2 storey, 65sq m (Mews type house)

My current assumption is:
    65 x €120 per sq m = 78k
    + 12k of other fees = 90k total

Would I be far off?

Thanks
    G

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gcomer123

... can't edit post for some reason, but house is in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 blue star

We built a 40 sqm sunroom for 5000. Family rates!! Just shows how going down self build really pays off. Wicklow area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭893bet

5k wouldn't cover the materials for the roof alone on a 40 m2 sunroom.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

gcomer123 wrote: »
    Hi all - rough cost to build the following? Assume planning already in place:
    - build on corner of existing house in side-garden
    - 2 storey, 65sq m (Mews type house)

My current assumption is:
    65 x €120 per sq m = 78k
    + 12k of other fees = 90k total

Would I be far off?

Thanks
    G

Will it be a separate house or an extension to the existing house?
    blue star wrote: »
    We built a 40 sqm sunroom for 5000. Family rates!! Just shows how going down self build really pays off. Wicklow area!

Forgive me if I speak out of turn when I say no way!
    Even if you got 100% of the labour for free, there's no way the materials for a 40 Sq. M Sun room can com in under 5k.
    • Excavation
    • Hardcore/Fill
    • Concrete slab
    • Insulation
    • DPM
    • reinforcement
    • foundations
    • rising walls
    • the sun room structure (assuming everything from ground level up is a conservatory type structure)

Alot of materials were left over from different projects and majority of labour was free!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

blue star wrote: »
    Alot of materials were left over from different projects and majority of labour was free!

So basically irrelevant to the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Just getting to the finishing stages of our build

2600 sq ft house
    Ballytherm cavity insulation
    Ballytherm 50mm insulated plasterboard
    Ballytherm insulation between joistes
    Air tightness tape on Windows and doors
    Air to water heating with UFH
    Triple glazed Munster Joinery Alu clad windows
    Bangor blue roof slate
    Rain water harvesting
    Septic tank and percolation area
    All engineers fees etc...
    Nest thermostats
    Stove in sitting room
    All floors are tiles or 12mm laminate
    Kitchen and appliances
    All furniture
    4 stables and feed/tack room
    15 meter by 12 meter turn out arena

€155k spent
    €15k to finish

Did as much as possible my self - foundation, flooring, air tightness, cabling that did not require certification (tvs, cat6)

Spent about €20k on the site before beginning for clearing, fencing, legal fees

Main advice would be to shop around and never take first price for anything.
    Also save as much as possible during build and spend on finishes depending on budget.

Link to some pictures here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxxfr8knooowi03/AAAUj0HcvYexIS0dg5Wi8gpia?dl=0

As an aside, I was lucky enough to start before the new regs came in.
    They add a fair bit to overall cost.
    I have read lately that from September 1st they regs will be optional for a self build

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

Had meeting with architect today and she is telling me to expect costs of 2000/ sq m. Building costs have risen steeply.

fits wrote: »
    Had meeting with architect today and she is telling me to expect costs of 2000/ sq m. Building costs have risen steeply.

That would make the build cost of my house around €482,000

No way I could afford that

g1983d wrote: »
    Just getting to the finishing stages of our build

2600 sq ft house
    Ballytherm cavity insulation
    Ballytherm 50mm insulated plasterboard
    Ballytherm insulation between joistes
    Air tightness tape on Windows and doors
    Air to water heating with UFH
    Triple glazed Munster Joinery Alu clad windows
    Bangor blue roof slate
    Rain water harvesting
    Septic tank and percolation area
    All engineers fees etc...
    Nest thermostats
    Stove in sitting room
    All floors are tiles or 12mm laminate
    Kitchen and appliances
    All furniture
    4 stables and feed/tack room
    15 meter by 12 meter turn out arena

€155k spent
    €15k to finish

Did as much as possible my self - foundation, flooring, air tightness, cabling that did not require certification (tvs, cat6)

Spent about €20k on the site before beginning for clearing, fencing, legal fees

Main advice would be to shop around and never take first price for anything.
    Also save as much as possible during build and spend on finishes depending on budget.

Link to some pictures here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxxfr8knooowi03/AAAUj0HcvYexIS0dg5Wi8gpia?dl=0

Brilliant information. Great pics..! Starting my 1800 sq ft house next month
    Great to great value for money and that you wernt ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiredout

I've been monitoring this tread for some time. Suggested pricing seems a bit expensive. Currently doing build under new regs. Detailed tendering process resulted in price of just over 1000sq/m. A3 rating. Includes finish to 5 rooms in house including 2 bathrooms. Fees not included but total cost of fees 15k. Kitchen not included as family member will be making. South east region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Where is this based?

I haven't seen anything near those levels and there's 5-6 houses a week being measured in our place.

Unless they include fit-out costs but seeing as you mention bulding costs i am assuming this is to builders finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

South east also. I am new to process so dont understand the various terms and finishes yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

893bet wrote: »
    Planning costs/site transfer/insurance/council payment/engineer 10K
    Foundations 16.5K
    Block work 13K
    Roof 14K
    Windows 12K (trible glaze, 0.8 window. Cost price as family member owns a window company. Should have been 16-17K)
    Poujoulate chimney system 8K
    Plastering 10K
    HRV 5.5K
    Plumbing first 2.5K
    Electrical first 3K
    Airtighness material 2K
    Insulation 3.5K
    Misc 3K

Your posts on costings are very useful, thanks.
    What is your total estimate of what it will cost to buy and install your HRV system? Please include a brief description of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 dean1986

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yes I would imagine it is realistic. I am at builders finish stage on a 3k sq/ft house. I hope to be in it for €220k. This includes landscaping, kitchen and fully fitted out inside, Underfloor heating through out ran by an air to water heat pump and also heat recovery installed. I know a few in the trades but nobody worked for nothing. No mates rates!
    The work I have done and will do would not add up to 2 or 3 thousand if I were to pay someone to do the same work.
    The house is built to current regs but I started before the new regs came into effect so not sure of the extra costs associated with them. The house could be finished a lot cheaper by fitting a cheaper kitchen, buying cheaper doors and flooring, using man made slates on the roof and using cheaper tradesmen but wouldn't recommend the latter.
    Get loads of prices and get quality tradesmen. Best of luck.

Cavanjack..thats serious going the fact you have underfloor and heatpump! Fair play! I am starting a 3,000 sq ft next month and hope to build for 250k, would you mind going into a bit more detail of the cost throughout? would really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Converse86

Anyone give me a ball park figure on building a 2800-3000sq ft hours in Kilkenny ?!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Converse86 wrote: »
    Anyone give me a ball park figure on building a 2800-3000sq ft hours in Kilkenny ?!!

350 - 450k

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Difficult to quantify.

How level is the site? Will it involve a lot of digging. You can only determine how much concrete, steel etc. you need for foundations until you dig to the bottom of the foundation and the engineer has a look at it. That can add significant cost.

For instance, a level site with perfect soil down to the base of the foundation is far less expensive to prepare than an elevated site which may have even slight pooling of water at the base of the foundation.

An Engineer can decide when dug, that 12" of concrete is not enough in foundations and may opt for 16". That means that for every 3 loads of readymix, you would need four instead

Once the foundations are in place though, and the site and ground works are prepared and complete it is fair to say that provided everything has been done to standard, that there will be very few other surprise costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Sounds excessive, but depends on the spec
    BryanF wrote: »
    350 - 450k

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tiredout

I'm also in south east. Detailed tender resulted in just over 100 sq ft. This excludes design fees, planning fee, council contribution, solicitors fee, esb connection and a. Assessor. To builders finish. But does include labour for tiling and painting in a few rooms. Also already had our own site. A3 rating and complex roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Wegian

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Yes I would imagine it is realistic. I am at builders finish stage on a 3k sq/ft house. I hope to be in it for €220k. This includes landscaping, kitchen and fully fitted out inside, Underfloor heating through out ran by an air to water heat pump and also heat recovery installed. I know a few in the trades but nobody worked for nothing. No mates rates!
    The work I have done and will do would not add up to 2 or 3 thousand if I were to pay someone to do the same work.
    The house is built to current regs but I started before the new regs came into effect so not sure of the extra costs associated with them. The house could be finished a lot cheaper by fitting a cheaper kitchen, buying cheaper doors and flooring, using man made slates on the roof and using cheaper tradesmen but wouldn't recommend the latter.
    Get loads of prices and get quality tradesmen. Best of luck.

Hi Jack,
    I would also be very interested in your breakdown here as we are about to embark on a very similar endeavour, circa 2.8K sqft with air to water and UFH

Advertisement