Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More building regulations

Options
  • 11-01-2015 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi I am looking into building a one off house. I am doing research on the new building regs. From reading boards and other sites it apears a review of these regscould start in Feb 15 and they could be scaled down for one off housing. I have also read about possible new regs in relation to rainwater systems having to be installed in all one off houses in the Irish Indo.Dont know how reliable this is. However my main question is does anyone think it would be wise to wait until after these new regs that came in last year are reviewed or willmore new regs that add to the cost of house building be introduced.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do you have planning permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sassy8797

No not yet. I have asked 3 architects for quotes and am just looking at their quotes now as they do vary quite a bit.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some new housing estates here in Dublin are already starting to come on board with rain water harvesting systems. One estate in Finglas come to mind.

Nobody knows what the new regs with contain, I would advise on getting your planning sorted first as that had no bearing on the building control regime. You may find that again your planning is sorted that the new system (if any) will be in operation anyway leaving you no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sassy8797

Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead with the planning. I will just get the architects to split their quotes between the ormal planning work and the certifier role. What determines what regs that you fall under - is it when you start buliding?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

sassy8797 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I will go ahead with the planning. I will just get the architects to split their quotes between the ormal planning work and the certifier role. What determines what regs that you fall under - is it when you start buliding?

Yes, when you lodge a commencement notice.
    Agree a price for planning approval and then see how your fixed for the role of Assigned Certifier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

The regs you will fall under are the current building regs when you start to build, not those in force when you got the planning. I am not aware of a change in the building regs but a possible change in the building control act which is completly different may happen and this is about self builders being able to call themselves builders if they are employing good competent tradesmen. The water issues are to do with sustainability.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,650 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

The res you fall under are the current building regs-not those in force when you got the planning

not strictly correct.

most regs have transitional arrangements which are determined by when planning is granted and substantial completion occurs.

this is especially correct, pertaining to sassy8797s question

Strictly speaking the thing needs to be in compliance with regs when the completion of the works takes place-its a bit of a minefield if you are mid build and the regs change-but then that's down to the competence of the architect/engineer and the builder who as so called competent service providers should know in advance that there is a forthcoming regs change and build the works in anticipation of any new regs or changes in the regs.

Strictly speaking the thing needs to be in compliance with regs when the completion of the works takes place-its a bit of a minefield if you are mid build and the regs change-but then that's down to the competence of the architect/engineer and the builder who as so called competent service providers should know in advance that there is a forthcoming regs change and build the works in anticipation of any new regs or changes in the regs.

there is never a requirement to do that

sydthebeat wrote: »
    there is never a requirement to do that

Logically and legally you can't sign off and certify works as being in compliance after the date the regs have changed as then the the regs in place at the time of the sign off supersede the regs in place during the build.

• Advertisement

Logically and legally you can't sign off and certify works as being in compliance after the date the regs have changed as then the the regs in place at the time of the sign off supersede the regs in place during the build.

ive already explained to you that, at times of changes to regs, you are subject to transitional arrangements in which when you applied for planning, and when substantial completion occurs, are factors.

so you are wrong above

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

not the way it works. There is a practicality involved in building that you are clearly missing. How can you start a building and be 50% complete in the structure and then be expected to demolish and rebuild because of a regulation change. All regulations have transitional arrangements which generally state:

"where the work or the change of use commences or takes place as the case may be on or after xxxx"

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

sydthebeat wrote: »
    ive already explained to you that, at times of changes to regs, you are subject to transitional arrangements in which when you applied for planning, and when substantial completion occurs, are factors.

so you are wrong above

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 12 romeonovember

Hi There,

we got planning permission for a house in 2011 using one architect. Due to cost and other reasons, this house was never built. We went for a totally different design last year on the exact same site and got planning at the end of 2014. We kept the original EPA assessment as we did not want to pay for it to be done again. However, our current architect is asking for the original architect to be the ancilliary certifier of this system, the original one is not willing to do this as he is not involved in the project and the current one wont do it either as he is saying he did not design it. The first one stated that he gave the data to the septic tank supplier and they designed the system to comply with the EPA assessment. The supplier have sent me the design data. Do I really need to get an ancilliary certifier or is the new architect just going overboard? I can ask the appointed engineer to sign off on the installation but this will be more money.
    Any advice/guidance would be appreciated.

thanks and regards,

Gerry

a prime example of the hassle these new regs cause.

technically there would be 3 designers of the whole effluent treatment system.

1. the person who carried out the site assessment and made the recommendations.
    2. the effluent treatment supplier (who generally only specify the actually treatment system).
    3. the architect who designed the percolation system in accordance with both the aboves requirements.

on your question, well, yes you need to get an ancillary certifier if your assigned certifier is not willing (or able) to certify the whole system. Any site assessor who has the relevant fetac qualifications and has adequate PI insurance would be able to step in and certify this.

Fins someone one wh will sign off on the design as part of being the AC. The design typically does not show a lot of details and so long as the house is built to the current regs and structural things are certified then you should be OK. Any competent builder with also have experience of finishing details etc.

Advertisement