Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Tiny homes"

Options
  • 11-01-2015 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I can't post links at the moment to show an example, but I've been reading a lot about these homes that people have built from scratch.

They're small, cheap to build and some of them are mobile. I even seen one made out of recycled crates/containers.

Is it possible to do this in Ireland? (All the examples I've seen being in the USA, Canada etc.)

It is something I am seriously considering doing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,916 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are very unlikely to be suitably sized to meet building regulations here, and hence not get planning permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Escapees

Reckon they're the future myself but it will take a long time for people in general to change their mindsets that 'bigger is better' when it comes to homes. Biggest issue I see in this country is the planning permission side of things and the associated backward thinking of the relevant authorities who often are more concerned with new houses fitting in with the style/character of other houses in an area than actually minimising their visual/environmental impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pyrrhic wrote: »
    They're small, cheap to build and some of them are mobile. I even seen one made out of recycled crates/containers.

Is it possible to do this in Ireland? (All the examples I've seen being in the USA, Canada etc.)
    There was talk elsewhere on the forum a few weeks back about making homes using shipping containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

There have been a few people asking similar questions.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057334358/1

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057155082/1

article-2242683-16579180000005DC-779_634x423.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

L1011 wrote: »
    They are very unlikely to be suitably sized to meet building regulations here, and hence not get planning permission.

If there mobile they don't need planning. Temporary structures may vev the same

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

If they're not actually being moved, saying they're mobile doesn't avoid planning laws

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Susandublin

Similar idea to a boat house (or living on a boat). Quite common in the UK but as mentioned above, to have any permanent structure in Irrland, it has to tick many boxes. It could be the future but it's unlikely. More likely to have more homes in commuter counties with better transport links - seems to be every governments preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

What am I interested in, is something like this:

<spammy site snipped>

If I was to save up the money they paid, would I be able to do this in Ireland?
    Are there companies in Ireland that offer these services or in the UK?

I would happily live in one of them for a good few years, hopefully putting myself in a good financial situation until I want a family kids etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

OP, have you considered using a 'internet search engine'?

http://www.bespoken.ie/index.php
    http://www.roadmaster.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Pyrrhic

snubbleste wrote: »
    OP, have you considered using a 'internet search engine'

If you read my above post (not the actual OP) I am looking for something exactly like what that couple have.

The links you have provided are log cabins and holiday homes. (some being mobile, but not similar to the article).

I am already in the process of contacting the website who made the article about the couple.
    I appreciate your very constructive input and hope that tomorrow the other side of the bed treats you very well sir, good day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ChaosIsOrder

L1011 wrote: »

The majority are built on a flatbed, to avoid building regulations. They are like campervans legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Most of these types of structures are being pushed by vested interests, i.e. those designing and / or building them.

They would have difficulty complying with:
    * fire regulations.
    * building regulations.
    * planning permission / development plan standards.
    * public health regulations.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Wrong. Planning permission is about construction and land use.

The fire officer is going to love the fact that the cooker (primary cause of house fires) is positioned under the bed.

The majority are built on a flatbed, to avoid building regulations. They are like campervans legally.

And again - if they're not actually being moved its irrelevant; they need and won't get planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ChaosIsOrder

@OP Google Noel Higgins tiny house. He made a transportable one for €6k.

Advertisement