Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medicine- psychological/sociological aspects covered by course?

• 11-01-2015 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'm considering studying medicine and would just like to know if the course in NUIG encompasses the psychological, sociological and ethical side of medicine. Are there modules on person, culture and society, the biopsychosocial aspects of medicine, behaviour and so on? From what I have looked into, it seems to be only UCC and Trinity that cover these. I hope that I am wrong as I really like NUIG and it's very close to where I live.

Thankyou!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I remember doing a project on the biospychosocial model in 1st or 2nd year as part of our professionalism module. We also got ethics lectures from the philosophy department.

The psychosocial aspect of medicine is a big component of General practice and psychiatry. You get 16 weeks of placement in these areas in 4th med. That said, the psychological and ethical aspects of medicine have to be considered in every medical speciality.

AFAIK every medical school covers these topics, even if they don't have a specific module named after them.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭etherealfairy

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I remember doing a project on the biospychosocial model in 1st or 2nd year as part of our professionalism module. We also got ethics lectures from the philosophy department.

The psychosocial aspect of medicine is a big component of General practice and psychiatry. You get 16 weeks of placement in these areas in 4th med. That said, the psychological and ethical aspects of medicine have to be considered in every medical speciality.

AFAIK every medical school covers these topics, even if they don't have a specific module named after them.

That sounds brilliant! It's psychiatry or general practice that (at present) I would like to go into. Psychology is the other course I'm considering, hence the questions. Thanks so much!

Advertisement