Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What Do You Think of xxx Area?" Thread

• 08-01-2015 4:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Would Kennedy Park, off Roxboro Road, be an acceptable place to live with a family with kids? Don't really know much about the place.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Hello,

What kind of estate would Maigue Terrace in Croom be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭Jmccoy1

Lots of decent people there, some of whom I know personally. However there is a persistent and increasing level of scum up there who are hell bent on making everyone else's life difficult, again I'd know some of them personally via my occupation. To be honest, because of the latter I wouldn't touch the place with a broom handle. Harsh, but true, no offence to the decent people there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

Jmccoy1 wrote: »
    Lots of decent people there, some of whom I know personally. However there is a persistent and increasing level of scum up there who are hell bent on making everyone else's life difficult, again I'd know some of them personally via my occupation. To be honest, because of the latter I wouldn't touch the place with a broom handle. Harsh, but true, no offence to the decent people there.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Agree 100%

Thanks a lot, folks! I'll know to avoid it.

• Advertisement

Answering my own question for any future searches. It's not an estate at all. It's a terrace on the main street.

Hello,

Yet another question about a Limerick area - and I am VERY thankful to all who have and will answer my area threads!

What kind of area is the region around St John's Cathedral? Cathedral Place, Johnsgate. Is that a good-enough location for a family?

Not in a million years.

With a family check Caherdavin, Raheen, Westbury, Corbally, Castletroy

I'm rather limited financially, so looking at compromises here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I have rented in Cathedral Pl and it was ok. I would not go for Johnsgate though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

Don't go anywhere near Johnsgate no matter how financially strapped you are you'll end up worse off for being there. Not so sure about Cathedral place. As someone else said, with a family go for Castletroy, Caherdavin, Raheen or Corbally. Just get the kids to share a room if you can't afford a bigger house, the peace of mind is better than an extra bedroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Renting or buying? What is the budget?

Buying and we're talking a 70-75k range for now. I'm trying to increase it (the bank originally said it would be more, long story, it's all well under 2x yearly income).

There are a couple 75k listings for Johnsgate and Cathedral Place and this is why I threw up this thread. Thanks to everyone, I now understand Johnsgate is out of the picture. Cathedral Place is still in, but I am having doubts myself because of car noise; that street has regular queues.

MichaelR wrote: »
    Buying and we're talking a 70-75k range for now. I'm trying to increase it (the bank originally said it would be more, long story, it's all well under 2x yearly income).

There are a couple 75k listings for Johnsgate and Cathedral Place and this is why I threw up this thread. Thanks to everyone, I now understand Johnsgate is out of the picture. Cathedral Place is still in, but I am having doubts myself because of car noise; that street has regular queues.

do you drive Michael? Would you consider looking outside the city itself?

h3000 wrote: »
    do you drive Michael? Would you consider looking outside the city itself?

I do drive and I would, though I am concerned about availability of good schools. And significantly long commutes (like Newcastlewest) would probably be hard to handle.

I think you should do some more research, don't jump in whatever you do.

I think you should do some more research, don't jump in whatever you do.

Yes, I agree entirely. Thanks for helping me in the research.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭RINO87

Is there anywhere for sale in the Haymarket? Can't see them being too expensive and it's well in off the road with space for kids to play, plus if you do ever trade up there's always great rental income to be had from there.

There's a 4 bed in the Haymarket that is somewhat out of reach at the moment. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on it in case a smaller house becomes available there, or else I manage to increase the available funds.

You would need to bargin a little but would you consider something like this.
    www.daft.ie/1954956
    Murroe is a nice area about 20/30 minutes from town.

• Advertisement

If we head out of town it will probably be to Croom, but I'll take note of Murroe too, thanks!

(Child currently in school in Adare. If we're out of the city we'd like to keep the school. Adare is way out of reach, of course, but there's a bus from Croom).

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

The red brick houses at the front of johns gate facing the hospital are quite nice but I wouldn't live in the middle or back of the estate, having lived in one for 3 yrs I'd prefer it to cathedral place, extremely convenient but you don't leave things outside even if they are screwed down! Not sure about raising a family there though... If you were willing to change schools I'd look at Bruff, great village, lovely people and really good school, with some decent priced houses on the market. I live in the countryside now but there is an excellent school bus service with Bruff primary and hospital, Kilmallock and Croom secondary's catered for.

I would say though, as you don't seem to be very familiar with the areas, I'd rent for a few months before buying, last thing you want to do is end up in an unsuitable place and not being able to get out, especially when kids are involved.

Thanks a lot!

I did view Cathedral Place. Nice house, so still thinking. But I do suspect that "facing the cathedral" (which it is, too) is a bit much for me in terms of noise. Cathedral Place is a busy street.

Hello,

A few days ago I was told here that Kennedy Park was not a nice place because of some scumbags making life hard for everyone.

Would the same apply to Janesboro? It's not that far away...

Question - what about Broad Street? Some interesting apartments there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Jofspring

MichaelR wrote: »
    Hello,

A few days ago I was told here that Kennedy Park was not a nice place because of some scumbags making life hard for everyone.

Would the same apply to Janesboro? It's not that far away...

Same as what was said about Kennedy Park. I know some very nice people living there and there seems to be a good community spirit from what I've seen but always the few that leave the rest down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'll go through what I'd opt for with your budget.
    1. I'd be looking at small houses in nice areas like the Fairgreen/Bengal Terrace. But I believe you've already looked at that option.
    2. I'd look at mature corporation estates that had very high levels of tenant purchase and are now almost entirely owner occupied. I think most of Garryowen, Pennywell, etc looks quite pleasant and well cared for. Assumpta Park on King's Island is similar.
    3. Save like mad to increase my budget. Last year two houses in Lynwood Park sold for €85k. They both needed work but nothing that you couldn't live with while you got it done bit by bit. There were similar prices around Greenfields in Rosbrien. So it could be worth saving and seeing if any similar properties come on the market this year.
    4. Do some serious detective work for NAMA properties. They are difficult to find and even more difficult to complete but there is great value to be had, even some real bargains.

I bought last year and went for option 4 but would have been very happy to go buy one of the houses in Lynwood if I hadn't managed to buy the house I did. If neither of those had worked out I'd have gone for option 1, then 2. I don't think I'd ever have considered Cathedral Place, Johnsgate, etc as I prefer living somewhere mature and established, a development filled with investor owned properties will struggle to form any real community.

When I was looking last year, I also liked the look of Joseph St as it's a lovely looking street right between The People's Park and the School Project, with what I've heard is a great community. I don't know if there is anything for sale there at the moment though.

Thanks, iguana! I'm normally good at detective work, so could you give me a couple of leads on where you ask about NAMA properties, ust to start with?

I don't think you hear too much about Janesboro, seems to be a bit quieter than other areas. Of course it all depends on whereabouts and who your neighbours are. Same can be said for anywhere in Limerick really. With regeneration you could be living somewhere really nice and end up with the neighbours from hell.

• Advertisement

Also re (3), I'm somewhat afraid the 20% rule might come in effect, pushing me out completely. We are working to increase the budget but we're also trying to see if we can squeeze something in.

Places on Joseph Street are available but they are somewhat over 100k. if I manage to push it that high, I'll take note, though in that case there may be other options.

I am checking re Bengal Terrace and Fairgreen though I'l be on the lookout for damp, which may be a problem in houses that old.

Advertisement