Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What Do You Think of xxx Area?" Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Aaargh! I typed a long reply on my phone and it disappeared. I can only do a quick reply now so will just put in the links.

Start your search here http://www.irishhouses.ie/nama/nama-houses-apartments-sales.php?county=Limerick

And have a read through this thread to get an idea of the process.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057011064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Hello,

Still asking about areas to buy in... and this time, I'm looking into Croom and Patrickswell.

I did hear Lisheen Park in Patrickswell, the big estate behind the GAA field, may be unsafe, but, in fact, there is nothing in it on the market anyway.

Apart from that one estate, are Patrickswell and Croom ok for family living and are there other specific areas to avoid? I asked some local people I know, but I'd also like the opinions of people on this Forum, especially since I have learned many useful things here about some city areas.

It would be really convenient for us (a child is in school in Adare and we like the school). There are some properties within our financial reach in the area.

Thanks!

Thanks a lot! Looking in a few more directions and the links were very useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I'd stay away from Croom village - its dog rough.

The areas around Croom are quite nice though.

My inlaws live in the Croom hinterland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Just a suggestion OP - probably no need to start a new thread for every area you are looking at. Its cluttering up the forum needlessly.

• Advertisement

Understood. I hope this is the last one, anyhow.

I found some previous threads too and they were extremely useful. Notably this one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=91708693

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

All these threads were doing my OCD to go overdrive, please keep them all to 1 thread.

Yes sir! Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I don't think you hear too much about Janesboro, seems to be a bit quieter than other areas. Of course it all depends on whereabouts and who your neighbours are. Same can be said for anywhere in Limerick really. With regeneration you could be living somewhere really nice and end up with the neighbours from hell.

I bought my 1st house up in Janesboro, 1st night there I was jumped and it only went downhill from that point.

So I would give that place a miss, broad street is not the worse area

Thanks - all seems clear on Janesboro now. Sad, as geographically it would be very convenient.

Would also appreciate more information re Croom and Patrickswell - these seem to be our main destination now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Janesboro is not as bad as it has made out to be. It's not perfect but it's certainly not a no-go area. There is a lot of elderly people living there as well as young families. Of course, there are a few undesirables but you'd do well to avoid them these days in any part of the city or county.

Janesboro is not as bad as it has made out to be. It's not perfect but it's certainly not a no-go area. There is a lot of elderly people loving there as well as young families. Of course, there are a few undesirables but you'd do well to avoid them these days in any part of the city or county.

Well I tend to disagree, spent 3 years there and my life was hell...only good thing about the place was purchased it for 70k and sold for 140k 3 years later being honest the 3 years I put up with I would have been happy to take a loss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

campo wrote: »
    Well I tend to disagree, spent 3 years there and my life was hell...only good thing about the place was purchased it for 70k and sold for 140k 3 years later being honest the 3 years I put up with I would have been happy to take a loss

And I would tend to disagree with you , I bought my first house in Janesboro 19 years and 10 months ago ( 2 more payments \0/ to go ) and I have never had any trouble here . I have great neighbours and live on a great street . My kids have gone to school and come home , gone to town and come home and never had a bother . I'll be happy to be carried out of here in a box when the time comes .

Janesboro is rather big, perhaps it's about different parts of the place?

MichaelR wrote: »
    Janesboro is rather big, perhaps it's about different parts of the place?

I'm not saying there is not good people there as of course there is good people there all I am saying is my life was hell there and my 4 year old could not kick a ball in the garden without some gullier coming over and hitting the ball off him or worse.

I understand previous poster moved in 20 years ago which is 10 years before me but Janesboro was a decent place 20 years ago and if you are say 10 years you would be a local so less chance of getting bother but if you are a blow in......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

I understand previous poster moved in 20 years ago which is 10 years before me but Janesboro was a decent place 20 years ago and if you are say 10 years you would be a local so less chance of getting bother but if you are a blow in......

I was told by a friend of mine that is from Rathbane that I'd need to be carried out in a box to be considered a local in Janesboro :D , and I mean this in a light-hearted enough way , he wasn't far off .

jonski wrote: »
    I was told by a friend of mine that is from Rathbane that I'd need to be carried out in a box to be considered a local in Janesboro :D , and I mean this in a light-hearted enough way , he wasn't far off .

That is something I can agree it with it has a rep of being a bit clique , remember going into the pub there and it was like a western music stopped and everyone looked around :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Buying and we're talking a 70-75k

I think you are going to struggle to find what you want on that budget, you mention a nice area for kids to grow up in, handy for schools etc, these are the kind of things that families pay a premium for & so homes in these areas tend to be higher priced

I know of two homes up for sale at the moment. one, a 4 bed is in what I would consider to be nice area, mature estate, mainly owner occupied (+95%), very good condition, asking price is 245k but I think will probably go for 210k - 220k. At the height of the boom an identical house in the same estate sold for +300k

The other house I know of is in what I would describe as an ok area, reasonably decent for kids, close to schools etc, it's a 3 bed, in great condition, asking price is 175k

If it were me with your budget, I'd strongly consider renting in a nice area, safe for the kids, close to schools, shops etc etc before I'd buy something for 75k & regret it a week later, find myself & my family stuck somewhere we didn't want to be & struggling to sell it to enable us to get out, for whatever reason

If you do decide to buy somewhere in the 70k - 75k range, make it your business to visit the area at different times, especially late at night / early hours of the morning at weekends

Think long & hard, it will probably be the biggest financial decision of your life be a shame to get it wrong, don't buy something just for the sake of buying something

Our budget did come up somewhat, we're in the "around 100k" region now. And Patrickswell and Croom are already handy for the school we're in. (Patrickswell is a bit more handy for general living purposes). We could also handle a school commute by motorway, which is why Janesboro was raised, but that one is best left alone as I now understand, thanks to this thread.

If we find nothing suitable around Croom/Patrickswell we'll probably turn our eyes to Haymarket/Rossa Avenue/Cathedral Place, but that likely means we lose the school. I was more willing to lose the school and make other compromises when we had access to around 70k only; but with around 100k I'd rather try to stick to the school.

If we like a particular house I will visit the area at least in "pub closing times" of a weekend before going sale agreed on anything - that does sound like a good point.

The new mortgage rules coming in may mean that if we don't buy now we keep renting for another 8 years, as we did for the last 8 years. Which, of course, is not the end of the world either, but Mrs. MichaelR is very tired of insecurity and inability to improve the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

My dad lived in Janesboro(well wallers well) he had to wedge his front door at night along with 3-4 locks, it was forever being kicked at, and trying to get kicked in, but its probably best nobody got through ever, as my dad is pretty good with a hammer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

The new mortgage rules coming in may mean that if we don't buy now we keep renting for another 8 years, as we did for the last 8 years. Which, of course, is not the end of the world either, but Mrs. MichaelR is very tired of insecurity and inability to improve the place.

I can understand that, tread carefully with that budget is all I'm saying, you tend to get what you pay for, the Mrs will still be tired & feeling insecure possibly for the length of your mortgage if you both make a poor decision but you are doing a bit of research, can't do enough of that...best of luck anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

You won't get much, if anything, for €100k.

Would you consider going to Leitrim? You would get a good house for €100k in somewhere like Drumshanbo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

Just a thought, have you ocnsidered Shannon ? I see you mentioned that schools are important and Shannon has 6 primary schools (inc 1 Irish speaking and 1 CofI ) and 2 very good secondary schools. 25 mins drive from Limerick city and an hourly bus service each way. " houses below are within your budget, the first in a newer area of the town and the second is about 45/50 years old but a very good residential area.

http://www.daft.ie/sales/10-ballycasey-court-shannon-clare/1017830/

http://www.daft.ie/sales/92-aidan-park-shannon-clare/999584/

I have in fact considered Shannon, but Mrs is worried about plane noise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Weirdly plane noise is worse on the flight path than in some parts of Shannon, and there's a curfew an night for what time planes can land at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭black & white

It's not a problem at all, she may notice it at first but after a month or so it will be no more noticeable that a car passing. There are occasions when it is louder but only very rarely. The planes take off away from the town 95% of the time due to prevailing wind direction and it's the take off that is the noisy part. I live as close to the flight path as anyone and I very seldom notice any noise.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

myshirt wrote: »
    You won't get much, if anything, for €100k.

Would you consider going to Leitrim? You would get a good house for €100k in somewhere like Drumshanbo.

Got me a 3/4 bed detached house in great condition on a third of an acre in a lovely area of the city for less than that last year. And while I was househunting I saw plenty of great houses for under the €100k mark. I think the market has picked up a bit since then, certainly in terms of speed of sales if not prices. But with the increased budget Michael R should be able to get a really nice house in a fine area if that's what he wants.

Had a viewing in Marian Park Patrickswell, looks interesting. I'll go hang out there late night, though with the fine elderly neighbours I'm somewhat afraid I might get the Guards called on me for doing it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Had a viewing in Marian Park Patrickswell, looks interesting. I'll go hang out there late night, though with the fine elderly neighbours I'm somewhat afraid I might get the Guards called on me for doing it!

That sounds so dodge :-P Defo right about seeing a place day and night.

• Advertisement

Actually, when I rented once in a VERY good area in Adare but was as yet new to it and was taking a stroll going back and forth, a Guard drove in and checked me out. I don't think it was a formal call though, as no writing was involved; the Guard actually lived in the estate, so someone probably called him on his mobile. It did not go anywhere, it was a just a misunderstanding, I was an unknown face. I got along very well with the neighbours there until the owner decided to sell and we had to move.

So when I said the elderly people might call the Guards I meant it in a good way! Still it's a risk I'll take because I do need to see what goes on there at "pub closing time".

Advertisement