Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What Do You Think of xxx Area?" Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Clareman wrote: »
    Weirdly plane noise is worse on the flight path than in some parts of Shannon, and there's a curfew an night for what time planes can land at.

No curfew at Shannon, runway open 24x7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

I worked in Shannon industrial estate for 12 years and never heard planes taking off or landing so I'd say you'd be safe from that in the town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

Another house is "in the game" so I'd appreciate opinions about yet another area :)

It's Castleconnell this time. Pretty close to the centre of the village, in an estate built around 2006 (give or take) called Bruach na Sionna; there is a St. Vinvent de Paul shot at the entrance to the estate. About half the houses are occupied, so it's not exactly a ghost estate, either.

The house itself is nice and warm and within the budget, but what about the area? Is it safe enough? I don't really know much about that village. There seem to be many new builds around, so it appears to have been popular in the boom years.

Also, what are the schools around it like? (There seem to be three - Castleconnell, Ahane, Lisnagry; Castleconnell is closest but there don't seem to be footpaths so we have to drive anyway).

I can understand that, tread carefully with that budget is all I'm saying, you tend to get what you pay for, the Mrs will still be tired & feeling insecure possibly for the length of your mortgage if you both make a poor decision but you are doing a bit of research, can't do enough of that...best of luck anyway

Thanks!

There actually seem to be a fair bit of options with the new budget, and we surely are trying to do all the research we can. I just hope I won't end up banned on the forum for it. This has all been very, very useful so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭mitresize5

Of all the areas you mentioned the castleconnel is by far the best in my opinion. I don't know the estate but a good friend of mine lives there with 3 kids under 10 and loves it. Great community there, all amenities, playgrounds, riverbank walks.

His kids go to lisnagry for what it's worth. All the schools there are the in catchment area of castletroy college which is a very popular secondary school. Lots of work close by in castletroy and 5 minutes from the M7.

Compared to the other areas you have mentioned i think this is by far the best option. With the caveat I don't know the specific estate you are looking at

• Advertisement

Thanks, mitresize5. It was really important, especially the fact that Castleconnell is within catchment for Castletroy College - I didn't know that!

One place on which I got no comment here is Patrickswell - would appreciate anything on that! I do have other channels but still...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

MichaelR wrote: »
    Thanks, mitresize5. It was really important, especially the fact that Castleconnell is within catchment for Castletroy College - I didn't know that!

One place on which I got no comment here is Patrickswell - would appreciate anything on that! I do have other channels but still...

On Patrickswell, I have heard comments about Lisheen Park, and certain residents, but I have often gone for a walk in the evening around the village, including through the edge of Lisheen Park and up through Marian Park, and have never seen anything to cause me to worry. This would be typically 7-9pm, often in winter. As a general comment, there seems to be good community spirit in the village ... very active GAA club, tidy towns committee, etc. I don't live in the village myself (about 5 miles from it), so others might provide better info.

Thanks, lifer_sean!

I actually did follow naughtysmurf's advice and went for a walk there around pub closing time. I liked it. Nice, quiet, feels safe, loads of street lighting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

hi,

Can someone tell me what greenfields, Rosbrien is like to live in? Thinking of renting a house there.

Is it relatively easy to get into town by bus from there, how much would a taxi to town cost?

Appreciate any info.

who_ru wrote: »
    hi,

Can someone tell me what greenfields, Rosbrien is like to live in? Thinking of renting a house there.

Is it relatively easy to get into town by bus from there, how much would a taxi to town cost?

Appreciate any info.

I'm originally from the area (Ballinacurra Gardens). Nice spot. Regular bus service across the road from the church and on the ballinacurra road. 15-20 minute walk to town and about a €6-7 taxi fare. You have a lidl, cost cutter, butchers, pharmacy, Indian take away and a pub all within a few mins walk. Crescent shopping centre is a 10-15 min walk too. Very central

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

I'm originally from the area (Ballinacurra Gardens). Nice spot. Regular bus service across the road from the church and on the ballinacurra road. 15-20 minute walk to town and about a €6-7 taxi fare. You have a lidl, cost cutter, butchers, pharmacy, Indian take away and a pub all within a few mins walk. Crescent shopping centre is a 10-15 min walk too. Very central

Excellent thanks. How would traffic be in the morning for getting to raheen? Manageable I suppose.

who_ru wrote: »
    Excellent thanks. How would traffic be in the morning for getting to raheen? Manageable I suppose.

What part of Raheen? I'll use the industrial estate as an example. It kinda depends on what time you start work because of the schools etc. Give yourself 10 or 15 mins if you're driving. I'm not sure about the bus. Never had to take it in the mornings when I was there. 15 or 20 mins I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Some amount of house hunters popping up in the forum lately, perhaps a "Whats XYZ place like to live?" thread should be stickied.

Yeah - just as all my threads are amalgamated, here comes the next house hunter!

Mods: If you do create a bigger amalgamation, please also include older threads like the one about Rossa Avenue. And please teke my name out of the header :)

(BTW, thanks Snotaul, this was a nice thing to know; I often drive by the place)

MichaelR wrote: »
    Yeah - just as all my threads are amalgamated, here comes the next house hunter!

Mods: If you do create a bigger amalgamation, please also include older threads like the one about Rossa Avenue. And please teke my name out of the header :)

(BTW, thanks Snotaul, this was a nice thing to know; I often drive by the place)

I was actually gonna recommend the area in your thread as there is a house within your budget (well, after a bit of haggling) on the Greenfields road but its ancient you'd need an extra 30% to do it up. Keep the area in mind anyway.

Have you considered Fedamore?

Some amount of house hunters popping up in the forum lately, perhaps a "Whats XYZ place like to live?" thread should be stickied.

Agreed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There seems to be a lot of interest in getting information on certain areas, might as well keep it to 1 thread for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mitresize5 wrote: »
    I'd stay away from Croom village - its dog rough.

wha:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Hi everyone, thought I'd use this thread rather than creating a new one.

Any views on Murroe? Looking at a place outside the village a little. Have heard some stories about dodgy families in the village but not sure how accurate the stories are.

Also what's Newport like? Looking out towards the village of Ballynahinch, don't know much at all about Newport.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Hi everyone, thought I'd use this thread rather than creating a new one.

Any views on Murroe? Looking at a place outside the village a little. Have heard some stories about dodgy families in the village but not sure how accurate the stories are.

Also what's Newport like? Looking out towards the village of Ballynahinch, don't know much at all about Newport.

Thanks.

I love Murroe, I've lived there most my life. There was some dodgy people in the area for a while but most of those have since moved on. Neither I or my family (two other houses) have had any issues. It's only a short drive from the city center and has great amenities for a small village.

If you don't mind me asking what part of Murroe are you looking at?

Newport is a decent village/town too, Ballynahinch is quite but it's a long time since I've been out that way or talked to anyone who lives there.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Thanks for the feedback!

Great to hear that Murroe is back to it's old self, it's a nice spot.

In Murroe we're looking at a country house about a mile or 2 out the Newport road.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭sideline warrior

We moved out to Newport from Limerick 10 years ago and it's the best decision we ever made. We have 2 kids and they love it here. Great schools, primary and secondary on our doorstep (none of the rat race getting kids into school in town). Shops, bars, credit union, chemists, hardware store etc. Lovely countryside for runs/walks. Clare Glens and Keeper Hill only minutes away. Great sense of community. Lots of sports club in the town incl GAA, rugby, basketball, handball, racquetball, martial arts, athletics, cycling, golf society and one of the most progressive and fastest growing soccer clubs in the region. Like moving anywhere, you have to make the effort to step outside your front door and get involved. After all that you're only 15-20 mins from Limerick. Can't say enough good things about Newport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Im viewing a house in greenfields in the coming days. Was wondering does the area suffer from any anti social behaviour coming down from Weston?

And before I get a my head bitten off, I understand that you can get it anywhere and the majority of people form weston are fine upstanding people. Im referring to the minority whom can and do cause trouble. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement