Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why does everyone rate Ibrahimovic so highly?

• 12-01-2015 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Fair enough he can score spectacular goals but people consider him one of the worlds best. Not saying he is terrible but really just think he is about a €20-25 million striker. Not the ridiculous sums that have been payed for him.
    He is so overrated its unbelievable. Take a look at his goal scoring record

1999–2001 Malmö FF 40 (16)
    2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)
    2004–2006 Juventus 70 (23)
    2006–2009 Internazionale 88 (57)
    2009–2011 Barcelona 29 (16)
    2010–2011 → Milan (loan) 29 (14)
    2011–2012 Milan 32 (28)
    2012– Paris Saint-Germain 79 (64)

His Inter record is fairly good but he played through the Italian leagues' worst period. His record for PSG is very good but its the French league, not even near the best league in the world.

What is your opinion on him?
    Personally he wouldnt even be near my top ten strikers in the world. He would be lucky to get 15 goals in a premier league season.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Because he's good. As in, really really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

impressive goal scoring record bar his stint at juventus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

deadybai wrote: »
    He would be lucky to get 15 goals in a premier league season.

You were doing well up to this !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

You were doing well up to this !

Id love to see him in the premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Fair enough he can score spectacular goals but people consider him one of the worlds best. Not saying he is terrible but really just think he is about a €20-25 million striker. Not the ridiculous sums that have been payed for him.

2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)
    2011–2012 Milan 32 (28)

His Inter record is fairly good but he played through the Italian leagues' worst period. His record for PSG is very good but its the French league, not even near the best league in the world.

Personally he wouldnt even be near my top ten strikers in the world. He would be lucky to get 15 goals in a premier league season.

So 253 goals in 441 games isn't up to standard? That's 1 goal per 1.74 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its not all about goals, thats the main bulk of it at the end of the day but his ability on the ball is amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

ricero wrote: »

Exactly. And then he went and banged them in at Inter and AC. Averages at least a goal every other game in Spain, Italy and France.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

He is ****ing brilliant and I'd love to see him in the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

ricero wrote: »

Even then it was basically a goal every 3 games, all the while offering a huge presence and threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)
    2011–2012 Milan 32 (28)

Are you really trying to discredit him on his goal scoring record there? Which is actually over a goal every other game, wow....

World class player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Are you really trying to discredit him on his goal scoring record there? Which is actually over a goal every other game, wow....

World class player.

Not saying hes a bad player, just think hes not that great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Id love to see him in the premiership

Sure he might do a job for West Brom or the likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is a match winner. A goal scorer of world class and the most important thing is that he has maintained that level for over 10 years. Your own stats prove that OP. BTW I don't like the guy his on the field attitude sucks imho but no denying he is a great forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

This thread baffles on so many levels. Zlatan is king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He has won a ridiculous amount of league titles. Great player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Think the original post only had stays for league games is that right? Hours record for Sweden is impressive also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I find everyone doesn't rate him highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Dirty Steve

Club

Ajax
    Eredivisie (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
    KNVB Cup (1): 2001–02
    Johan Cruijff Shield (1): 2002

Juventus
    Serie A (2): 2004–05, 2005–06 (both revoked due to the Calciopoli scandal)

Internazionale
    Serie A (3): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
    Supercoppa Italiana (2): 2006, 2008

Barcelona
    La Liga (1): 2009–10
    Supercopa de España (2): 2009, 2010
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009

Milan
    Serie A (1): 2010–11
    Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2011

Paris Saint-Germain
    Ligue 1 (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
    Trophée des champions (2): 2013, 2014
    Coupe de la Ligue (1): 2013–14

Since 2001, he's not been part of a league winning side for two seasons. Two. Understandably the Juve ones were revoked, hut I'm still counting them as they help my point :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't, he's gash. You're welcome mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Club

Ajax
    Eredivisie (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
    KNVB Cup (1): 2001–02
    Johan Cruijff Shield (1): 2002

Juventus
    Serie A (2): 2004–05, 2005–06 (both revoked due to the Calciopoli scandal)

Internazionale
    Serie A (3): 2006–07, 2007–08, 2008–09
    Supercoppa Italiana (2): 2006, 2008

Barcelona
    La Liga (1): 2009–10
    Supercopa de España (2): 2009, 2010
    UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009

Milan
    Serie A (1): 2010–11
    Supercoppa Italiana (1): 2011

Paris Saint-Germain
    Ligue 1 (2): 2012–13, 2013–14
    Trophée des champions (2): 2013, 2014
    Coupe de la Ligue (1): 2013–14

Since 2001, he's not been part of a league winning side for two seasons. Two. Understandably the Juve ones were revoked, hut I'm still counting them as they help my point :)

Means f-all. Well not **** all, but it doesn't prove a point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I would agree that he is slightly overrated but he is still definitely world class. Not on par with Ronaldo/Messi for sure like some people seem to believe. I think Suarez/Aguero pip him to it personally but he'd be up there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,852 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It proves a lot more then your constructive contribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I find everyone doesn't rate him highly enough.

Absolutely.

I find it staggering that questioning his career comes up now and then. He has proved his worth time and again but he is still questioned by people who don't know what they are talking about because he gives the impression of being disinterested sometimes.

He's obviously mad but he has been a fantastic player. He is one of the few who can genuinely do something out of absolutely nothing.

In his prime he would have been incredible in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He's underrated. Genuinely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

He is one of the best finishers to ever play the sport imo, would have been tailor made for the premier league in his younger years, could probably still do a good job at this stage in his career too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hes the ultimate youtube player but he has also backed all the flicks & tricks up be being on a different level to all but a very handful of players in the last decade.

The guy is an amazing player IMO and ive always wanted him at Chelsea, hell id even love him in the EPL no matter who he was with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

In 2005 Djimi Traore, Harry Kewell and Milan Baros won the Champions League. This fact invalidates your whole argument.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

In 2005 Djimi Traore, Harry Kewell and Milan Baros won the Champions League. This fact invalidates your whole argument.:)

Maybe when they win 8 CL's in a row it will become a valid point, but now it's a retarded one.

Yeah, those players that consistenly win the league in multiple countries, they're clearly muck..

I'd be surprised if there are many playing now (at a high level) with more league titles than him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

When it comes to forward players id put Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Neymar, Costa, Hazard, Di Maria, Aguero all ahead of him. But he is very good.

And Luke Chadwick has a Premiership medal. Can't believe this is even a thread tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Hey OP who are your top 10 strikers? Be interesting to see who you rate over Zlatan? I love watching him play, he's great when he's at his pomp, he strikes me as someone who should have been French! He would have made a great (arrogant) Parisian, kinda fitting he ended up there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

- 322 goals in 596 club appearances with 7 different teams in 5 different countries.
    - Sweden's all-time top goalscorer with 51 in 101 internationals
    - An outrageous collection of personal honours and league titles, many of which he was the catalyst behind
    - Amazing longevity having played (and still playing) at an extremely high level for over a decade
    - A match-winner with a unique blend of size, strength, ball control, vision and technical finesse that's unrivaled in world football
    - An incredible collection of outstanding goals, many of which literally could not be scored by any other player on the planet

He has consistently performed as one of the best players in the world for years and to say he wouldn't score more than 15 goals in the premiership is an embarrassing statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ibra, Aguero, RVP, Suarez, Falcao have all hit similar levels at different periods over the last 4 or 5 years. The standout 5 centre forwards for me, Ibra is older than them all

I wonder if he might try push a move to City or Chelsea to add a premier league to his collection before he finishes up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Fom 2002 to 2010 he won the league every year with 3 different clubs.

You buy ibra you win leagues and you buy goals. He is a guaranteed goalscorer at any level not to mention goals of all kinds. The perfect centre forward. He has everything, strength, skill, brilliant finisher, great in the air. People on the continent would be shocked at some people's attitude towards him in these parts just because he never played in the premier league. He needs to be the main man and the team built around him, and he guarantees success. Unfortunately there was only one main man at barca and it didn't work out ( still a decent goals record with them )

I think he has been the best no. 9 in the world for the past ten years. Pure class and anyone who thinks he's not q great player needs to ween themselves off the sky sports, premier league hyperbole for a little while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

He was player of the year a couple of times in Italy ahead of Kaka. And Kaka was in his prime back then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

When it comes to forward players id put Messi, Ronaldo, Bale, Suarez, Neymar, Costa, Hazard, Di Maria, Aguero all ahead of him. But he is very good.

Seriously, uber nonsense. Off all them players only Ronaldo and Messi are ahead of Zlatan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Sensational goals like this .

He doesn't play in the "best league in the world" so obviously his phenomenonal record is glossed over

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)
    2011–2012 Milan 32 (28)

Sometimes you have to look beyond stats. He is a great player to watch and some of the goals he scores or trick he pulls off it's just amazing.

If you just by scoring record then Drogba, Bergkamp are not great players either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭kippy

2001–2004 Ajax 74 (35)
    2011–2012 Milan 32 (28)

Apart from his spell in Juve his record is approaching a goal every two games or better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Imagine how little football you must watch to think he isn't great? Or even scarier, imagine watching football for a very long time and not paying enough attention to realise he isn't over-rated?

Not a dig at anybody in specific btw. There's lots of fans who think he's over-rated.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If you want to look at statistics, compare where each team finished in the year before he joined, his first year and the year after he left.

Malmö: 13-2-9
    Ajax: 2-1-2
    Juve: 3-1-Serie B
    Inter: 3*-1-1 (2,6,9 thereafter)
    Milan: 3-1-3
    PSG: 2-1-

In that disaster of a year when he failed to win a title with Milan he netted 35 times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,799 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose another thing to be asked is, if you don't rate him as highly as others, who do you rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

His form this season has dipped tbh (injuries have played a part) as PSG seem a bit of a mess and he carried the likes of Cavani, Lavezzi and Pastore.
    Pity he went there and not Real Madrid
    Ronaldo would never stop complaining about him not getting passed to then :pac::pac::pac:

Book is class and genuinely funny too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A return of 20+ goals in his last seven seaons. His last three seasons all 30+
    11 league titles in his last 13 seasons.

I get utterly tired at the constant questioning of him. For some reason a narrative was allowed develop that he isn't that good because A) He doesn't do it against English sides and b) He hasn't ever come to England.

You don't need to "do it" in the Premier league to be considered a great talent.

He's been an utterly under celebrated player in his time if I'm honest. He takes the bravado, trickery and skill that we all love to see, but backs it up with fruitful returns season after season.

Very few strikers in world football have his level of return over that period. What grilled me is how so many people are influenced by the UK MEdia, and just the EPL in general, and ignore anything that happens. Suarez was being flounted to outragous levels of "worlds best striker" and all this garbage last season, while Ibrahimovic quetly knocked in 40+ goals for PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭GBXI

Imagine how little football you must watch to think he isn't great? Or even scarier, imagine watching football for a very long time and not paying enough attention to realise he isn't over-rated?

Not a dig at anybody in specific btw. There's lots of fans who think he's over-rated.

Such an ignorant response. There is a very strong argument to be made that Zlatan is over-rated. Regularly, particularly in the last 4-5 seasons, you see his name come up in comparison with Ronaldo and Messi. As someone pointed out above, he isn't even in the Aguero, Suarez, Bale, Sanchez, Falcao bracket.

Two things that stand out for me, firstly, he never performed at one of the top teams in one of the top leagues (his Barca stint was short-lived). Secondly, when Mourinho took over at Inter he sold Zlatan for €35m and Samuel Eto'o. Inter went on to win everything and Barca wasted the most money since Chelsea spent 50mill on Torres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

He, like Totti & Touré, is a sunshine player. Turns it on when he wants and when it's easy. Has all the skill in the world but you can't rely on him when the chips are down or in the big games where you really need him to dig in. If his attitude was better he'd be in the top 3 players in the world but he's a prima donna who expects the rest of the team to work for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GBXI wrote: »
    As someone pointed out above, he isn't even in the Aguero, Suarez, Bale, Sanchez, Falcao bracket.
    Under which criteria? His goal record says otherwise.

Two things that stand out for me, firstly, he never performed at one of the top teams in one of the top leagues (his Barca stint was short-lived)
    So he performed at Barca, short-lived or not, and you still say he didn't? Which is it? And don't forget that Italian teams seemed to win the CL a lot when he was there, so that was one of the top leagues too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

GBXI wrote: »
    Such an ignorant response. There is a very strong argument to be made that Zlatan is over-rated. Regularly, particularly in the last 4-5 seasons, you see his name come up in comparison with Ronaldo and Messi. As someone pointed out above, he isn't even in the Aguero, Suarez, Bale, Sanchez, Falcao bracket.

Two things that stand out for me, firstly, he never performed at one of the top teams in one of the top leagues (his Barca stint was short-lived). Secondly, when Mourinho took over at Inter he sold Zlatan for €35m and Samuel Eto'o. Inter went on to win everything and Barca wasted the most money since Chelsea spent 50mill on Torres.

I'm yet to read, hear or see this rumoured strong argument people keep making.

Taking Messi and Ronaldo aside, as they are not strikers, who exactly matches Ibrahimovic in terms of goal return over that length of period? Considering thats what striker do, score goals.

All the "bracket" you mention, have done it in spurts. Which of any have scored 20+ per season, for say 5+ seasons?

The Suarez stuff was a joke. Best striker in the world was a romantic headline the UK media were pushing as they somehow felt they could speak on behalf of all fans neutral to the title race last year, that Liverpool were the team everyone wanted to win.

Ibrahimovic scored 40+ too last season you know. But cause Suarez did it against Stoke, Sunderland, Norwich etc., that somehow makes it a better achievement?

Was there not a statistic last season how Suarez failed to score against any team in like the top 4 or something?

If Aguero wasn't so injury prone he would have probably a good shout at being up there. But sorry, you can't just disregard longevity and consistency, and cherry pick one season or one period, to form an arguement as one being better then the other.

normaly its a contrived debate anyway, with no real metric to tell who is better then who, but having 14 years of sustained success and consistency is a pretty damn good starting point.

• Advertisement
Advertisement