Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flightradar24 Thread Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Negative_G

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a major spotted, couldn't spend more than an hour and I don't take any notes or anything. Just watching the amazing machine land and take off and fly is fascinating to me. Such a good product of Innovation.

It's like a few of the friends I have spend hours on Done Deal every evening looking at Cars. It would drive me besurk but they seem to find it interesting

I can definitely understand the innovation element of it all. A huge machine taking off full of people and travelling long distances and landing in another continent a few hours later. In saying that I have known a few people to spend an hour or two out by the airport watching aircraft come and go.

At the other end of the spectrum there are some who take it to another level completely. I saw a programme, I think it was on channel 4, documenting the lives of some spotters. These guys would literally plan their holidays around travelling to a specific airport and spend the days with FR24, a scanner and camera, taking note of everything coming and going.

Horses for courses I suppose.

From browsing the forum I sometimes get the impression there is almost like a 'hierarchy' amongst spotters. What I mean is that some appear well connected in terms of getting information. I presume in the real world the community is quite small and many would know each other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Shannon757 wrote: »
    1. I agree Pat Flynn is great at these reports.
    2.Do you know how many looks you'd get for being an aviation enthusiast? I don't know about Dublin but in Shannon I get so many looks for taking pictures of planes. At a bloody airport!

Try taking pictures of a train, at a railway station :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Or bus enthusiasts snapping around the streets. Sod anyone that finds any sort of transport spotting odd. I do miss the old viewing window at Dublin Airport beside the lifts. There were many trips taken out there to watch the planes. I could spend a while along the runways, though, watching the planes, but not hours. Not unless there was something of great interest due.

There's a lineup of Ryanair flights heading into Dublin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

I'm not a spotter but I am very much interested in observing aircraft movements when I am at airports. Curiously, despite my passion for aviation, I have absolutely no interest in attending airshows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I'm not a spotter but I am very much interested in observing aircraft movements when I am at airports. Curiously, despite my passion for aviation, I have absolutely no interest in attending airshows.

I'm the same. Couldn't give an crap about airshows. Its the prominence of old aircraft that doesn't peak my interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

I'm not a spotter but if it flies then it grabs my attention. I also like to keep an eye on movements in and out of Irish airports through here and FR24 and the like.. Have always had a massive interest in aviation, all aspects of it from the flying to the MET to the different aircraft types and the mechanics and engineering that makes them fly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I
    I've personally never understood the attraction of 'spotting'. I've had an interest in aviation since I was young but the thought of spending several hours at an airport taking photos and noting registrations never appealed to me as a hobby.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear what people like or enjoy most about this particular hobby.

If you don't get the attraction of 'spotting' it's hard to explain it to you. It's hard to explain the joys of, say, jazz music or golf or photography or indeed any particular hobby to someone if they're not an enthusiast of these things to begin with. A bit like trying to explain colours to a blind person.

Back in the 70's when I worked in Shannon Industrial Estate, and as an aviation enthusiast, I spent many happy hours parked in my car on the road alongside runway 024 with an airband radio, a 35mm camera with a telephoto lens and a notebook & pen, logging the regs. of various Panam, TWA, ONA, BEA and numerous other carriers......

Yeah it's kind of hard to explain, but it was a very satisfying hobby (and still is) ......and no, I don't care for airshows either - a completely different thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

I love going spotting now and then, I don't log registrations - mind you a lot of the photos I take have the reg´s visible- but I don't make it a point to get the reg.

I think they just look amazing and so graceful coming into land or taking off - especially the heavies
    (like this 777 at Dublin)

15009626939_1e11844098_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

N417LX a BD700 global express inbound SNN now. Also touched down there a short while ago was National B744BCF N919CA, a regular the last few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Nice plane landed in Shannon just now, bombardier 6000.. How come it doesn't say where its coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭Delboy2015

EI203 / EIN20T gone around at Dub, wasn't listening to ATC so i don't know why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Heads up for SNN, USAF SAM127 010040 C40 should pass through tomorrow around 2300z

11pm TAF gives a 30% PROB Tempo of winds of 210 degrees (SSW) 30kts G 48kts at Dublin tomorrow between 7am and 1pm. If it happens there will be disruption to operations, I'd imagine that wind is outside of limits for Wet Runway operations on both RWY28 and RWY 16 for many airlines and aircraft.

Cork's peak winds hit overnight when there's no traffic.

Shannon has a 200 degrees 30kts G47kts wind with heavy rain tempo 30%prob from 3am-9am. Maybe a little disruption, to the transatlantic arrivals but I doubt it.

Knock looks to have calmed too by the first arrival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Long Time Lurker

11pm TAF gives a 30% PROB Tempo of winds of 210 degrees (SSW) 30kts G 48kts at Dublin tomorrow between 7am and 1pm. If it happens there will be disruption to operations, I'd imagine that wind is outside of limits for Wet Runway operations on both RWY28 and RWY 16 for many airlines and aircraft.

Star Air 767 just departed on 16 with Ryanair training flight lining up behind it. Seems okay so far. Its very windy though that's for sure.

6:00am winds of 190 degrees 28kts G 42kts.
    Push it over to 210 degrees and add a few more knots and then you have problems, especially to landers.

• Advertisement

Departures reporting it very very rough from takeoff to 2,300-2,500ft.

Wind at 7:04, 210 degrees 37kts G51kts.

Edit: Several departing aircraft now getting caught by the limits, Gust of 52kts now, outside of limits at 210 degrees but within limits at 200 degrees. Swinging between the 2 fairly frequently for the past 20 mins.

EI3208 (Stobart) returned to the back of the line due to the wind.

RYR535A (FR535) EMA-DUB on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The mean wind given by the tower is taken over 2 minutes while the TAF and METAR mean is 10 minutes. A 2-minute mean can be easily higher than a 10-minute, which can cause a problem in some cases when planning. It may look within limits on the TAF and METAR but then you get to the holding point and the tower gives you one out of limits. Frustrating for crews and pax.

Do they have a mean speed limit? The gusts are 10minutes average and that's what's catching aircraft all the time, never the mean in my experience.

FR3100 and EI3350 returning to back of queue as wind outside limits. Now joined by FR6875

RYR472Z (FR331) going around.
    Windshear warning.

• Advertisement

BA834 gone around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Sounds very rough out there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Do they have a mean speed limit? The gusts are 10minutes average and that's what's catching aircraft all the time, never the mean in my experience.

Sorry, you're right, they go on the gusts.

Note to self: don't post rambling messages so early in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

An aircraft has various limits for dry, wet, different braking actions, and for landing and takeoff. Gusts have to be taken account of when converting the ATC reported wind, but the aircraft limits generally don't specify gust limits as such. Many aircraft will have ground handing limits, for which gusts would be taken into account, e.g. for opening doors, but these are usually above 50kts.

There are 2 ways I've come across of factoring gusts...e.g. take the steady wind add on half of the gust value (e.g. 20 Gusting 40, becomes 30kts), and then check the cross component of the 30kts.
    Second way is to get the cross component of the steady, the 20kts, and then add on half of the gust value (10kts in this example). This way is more limiting, as the gust component doesn't get reduced.

The airlines manuals would dictate the company approved way of factoring the winds. Some airlines have different limits for the same aircraft types as well, and some may just have a 'demonstrated crosswind' figure, so the number isn't necessarily a limit and is at the crews discretion.

Many ATC units can provide an 'instant wind', which is not averaged, and will just show the mean. However, Dublin ATC won't provide instant wind readouts for the last few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I flew from Shannon this am, bumpy enough departure but was expecting far far worse

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭TPMP

Looks like AA722 has been diverted to Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

Ryanair training flight lining up behind it.

that wouldn't be a training flight, someone at FR24 has set up Ryanair's only 737-700 with a misleading company title. They wouldn't be doing training in these conditions and there's no flight training out of Dublin anyway as far as I know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

moloner4 wrote: »
    On the madrid flight since 6 this morning, still on the plane. Anyone got updates?

Ryanair? You should be moving in next 15 minutes, or so does their website says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

moloner4 wrote: »
    On the madrid flight since 6 this morning, still on the plane. Anyone got updates?

DAA arrivals page only has 3 Madrid flights:

Madrid Ryanair FR7257 26 Jan 12:20 Delayed 17:05
    Madrid Aer Lingus EI595 26 Jan 21:55
    Madrid Ryanair FR7157 26 Jan 22:20 Delayed 22:25

Which one are you on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

Video of landing this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Ah ok .. I thought you were coming in :o
    Hope you get away soon enough.

UAL23 coming in to Shannon now, diverted from Dublin. Saw an A320 and 737 touch down in Dublin before it, I would have thought a 757 could manage the conditions if those smaller aircraft could unless they picked up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

UAL23 coming in to Shannon now, diverted from Dublin. Saw an A320 and 737 touch down in Dublin before it, I would have thought a 757 could manage the conditions if those smaller aircraft could unless they picked up?

As an example, the wet takeoff crosswind limit for a 747-400 at a UK operator is 25kts, the same as a 737.

All traffic appears to be holding at DUB.

EI3701 diverting to SNN after a go around on Corks RWY25.

12573019_10153797619606291_1342536843956671352_n.jpg?oh=71d23b777928e85d43aa68b52daadd6e&oe=5749E783

Just seen this on the Ireland AM facebook page, taken earlier!

Edit: Not actually from today it seems

bkehoe wrote: »
    As an example, the wet takeoff crosswind limit for a 747-400 at a UK operator is 25kts, the same as a 737.

Interesting, I didn't know that - thanks. Is it the same for landing crosswind limits?

That pics not from today. Sure I've seen it before and the altitude of EI3807 was not that low, go around was initiated before reaching the runway.

That pics not from today. Sure I've seen it before and the altitude of EI3807 was not that low, go around was initiated before reaching the runway.

Never trust Facebook...

9 planes holding at Dub

• Advertisement

FR1965 looks to be going to SNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭tom_k

EI605 going around.

EI605 gone around.

Diverting to SNN.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Delboy2015 wrote: »
    12573019_10153797619606291_1342536843956671352_n.jpg?oh=71d23b777928e85d43aa68b52daadd6e&oe=5749E783

Just seen this on the Ireland AM facebook page, taken earlier!

Edit: Not actually from today it seems

Looks photoshopped!
    Left main gear appears to be in the grass but still have tire smoke.
    The Carlton hotel is off the end of runway 34 but planes landing on 16.
    And best of all, CBK is still in CFN and hasn't flown today!

EI155 diverting to SNN

WX113 going around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

LH978 didn't even try a approach and heading back to frankfurt :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    LH978 didn't even try a approach and heading back to frankfurt :eek:

That's fairly outrageous now. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any tech problem. At least drop the pax off in shannon or something so they can get to Dublin that way. poor passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

IngazZagni wrote: »
    That's fairly outrageous now. Especially as there doesn't seem to be any tech problem. At least drop the pax off in shannon or something so they can get to Dublin that way. poor passengers.

Outrageous indeed IMHO.

Can't attach image as im getting a server issue but here is link.

https://www.flightradar24.com/DLH978/8a3754e

Edit: Image is blank - Must be still a issue since the DDOS attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

very loud planes overhead last night, over kilbarrack and not as far north as usual north dublin, one of them was swn421

Growler!!! wrote: »
    The Carlton hotel is off the end of runway 34 but planes landing on 16.
    !

Trying to get used to the numbers ahead of time I see!

Also stobarts were using 25.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement