Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flightradar24 Thread Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

We had done so well in the old thread at keeping the competition between our airports out :)

There is snow at Shannon and cork airports. Both are open 24hrs and need their runways cleared. Although no more scheduled flights to Shannon until 7:30 ish tomorrow. Maybe a bit of activity at cork this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

EI877 A320 holding at Cork too

http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN877/543dece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

Photo from Paul Daly, Irish Aviation Spotters on fb.
    Cork airport this evening.

Are there many flights waiting to get into Cork?

334924.jpg

fr336 wrote: »
    EI877 A320 holding at Cork too

http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN877/543dece

Told ya there would be activity.

There are indeed, an EI A320 in the hold right now

For anyone taking a flight into our out of Ireland that arrives or departs after midday, good luck:)

(Severe winds up to 150km/h)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Carnacalla wrote: »
    For anyone taking a flight into our out of Ireland that arrives or departs after midday, good luck:)

(Severe winds up to 150km/h)

Could be a few record transatlantic times being made.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

Skuxx wrote: »
    Could be wrong but I didn't think there was such a thing!

Your probably right I only seen it from a distance but it was a Airbus, I get pic if its around tomorrow!

Shamrock 877 diverting from Cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

fr336 wrote: »
    Shamrock 877 diverting from Cork

on the way to Dublin id say.

Seems to be heading there.
    Blizzard like conditions at shannon so thats really not an option.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭billie1b

Probably starting to run on fumes, if the staff in Cork are anything like DAA in Dublin for clearing snow I wouldn't be waiting around either

• Advertisement

Last plane of night due into ORK,

http://www.flightradar24.com/EIN725/544313c

Still heading that direction

Considering cork cant cope with a measly inch or two of snow, they are worse than the DAA

Seems to be heading there.
    Blizzard like conditions at shannon so thats really not an option.

im not far from shannon an I reckon about 1inch has fell, if thats right its crazy how little affects our airports!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

imurdaddy wrote: »
    im not far from shannon an I reckon about 1inch has fell, if thats right its crazy how little affects our airports!

what is the actual reason, cant see the runway/lights or is it something else?

its amazing that planes can land all over europe all winter in places with months of snow, but we cant handle a few minutes of it. i landed in eastern europe this time last year and the runways were perfect, despite it being -13 outside.

• Advertisement

Considering the M18 between Shannon and Limerick is almost impassable accordibg to reports, I'd say their may be a little more around.
    Still, no Irish airports can deal with a little more than a flurry.

Considering the M18 between Shannon and Limerick is almost impassable accordibg to reports, I'd say their may be a little more around.
    Still, no Irish airports can deal with a little more than a flurry.

You can say the same of London airports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

I don't think it's the depth of the snow that's the problem. Around us in South Co. Dublin, there's hardly an inch on the ground but it is just lethal out there. Cars are scattered throughout the estate and nobody could get up the hill. The road is like an ice-rink under a scabby amount of snow. I reckon that's what the real problem is. A bit of snow that meted and froze solid = chaos. That's possibly what has happened in Cork. There doesn't appear to be any snow in North Co. Dublin so the airport is fine. EI 877 is on the decent into DUB now.

I can't remember what documentary I watched about the Big Snow in 2010 but it was about the airports in the UK. Very long story short, that was pretty much what they said. It's not the snow, it's the ice. Nothing will move it and it makes for treacherous conditions on a runway. Worse, the more you clear, the more meltwater is created, the worse the mess. Ditto for de-icers that only do the job for something like 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭airman737

Listening to the scanner earlier a Ryanair flight into knock circled in the hold 8 times, atc were concerned with the braking action on the runway. Is it the runway surfaces that are different here compared to colder countries in Europe?

A bit of salt would clear that riggggght up. I assume that all 3 state airports have put some type of ice deterrent on their runways.

Anyway let's see what EI785 does.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

bronn wrote: »
    There doesn't appear to be any snow in North Co. Dublin so the airport is fine.

Yeah, just a small flurry this morning, it didn't even stick. Nothing since then.

EI725 is either looping or diverting.
    Probably diverting.

airman737 wrote: »
    Listening to the scanner earlier a Ryanair flight into knock circled in the hold 8 times, atc were concerned with the braking action on the runway. Is it the runway surfaces that are different here compared to colder countries in Europe?

I have flown in and out of New York where the snow so deep youd disappear if you stepped of the tarmac and here what would be classed a minor snow fall will close the airport! I know its safety first but sure to god they should be better prepared? Its all of our airports too not just smaller less funded.

I suppose the cost of treatments and equipment is high especially when you might get no snow for 2/3 years, its cheaper to divert a few flights if the worst happens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Bronn and airman 737 are spot on, the sweepers can come out sweep the runway, followed by a braking action test. if the braking action test comes up poor then you wont have anything landing there for obvious reasons. Crews and ATC thanked the staff at EIKN today for their clearing efforts, then again I suppose Knock are fairly use to it this time of year

• Advertisement

Appears to be circling. You'd wonder why? It's not like it's getting any warmer.

ScreenShot2015-01-13at233039_zpsdb5b8809.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Climbing...off to DUB

Climbing...off to DUB

http://www.liveatc.net/flisten.php?mount=einn2&icao=einn I'm listening to them here

must be written into guidelines to at least make a half-hearted attempt to land in destination before diverting.

725 talking to DUB now.

ETA: Little shíts out with the lasers again in DUB. Just reported.
    ETAA: The pilot reported laser activity on his right-hand side. I had f24 open just as he said it, so it had to be from The Baskins off Baskin Lane.

th_ScreenShot2015-01-13at235055_zpse41c7ee6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Both EI725 and EI877 are scheduled to continue on from DUB to ORK shortly with pax onboard.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Both EI725 and EI877 are scheduled to continue on from DUB to ORK shortly with pax onboard.

Fair play

EI877 on its way now.

VG has a problem with getting its load sheet, should be off soon - EJ had the same but it printed in the end! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Do EI have handwritten load sheets ? Ours is sent via acars with the ability to print hard copy say if ACARS is inop. Saves a whole load of time.

There was a snow warning issued earlier tonight by Dublin airport for 1cm of snow although we saw about 60 seconds and not heavy at that.

Strumms wrote: »
    Do EI have handwritten load sheets ? Ours is sent via acars with the ability to print hard copy say if ACARS is inop. Saves a whole load of time.

There was a snow warning issued earlier tonight by Dublin airport for 1cm of snow although we saw about 60 seconds and not heavy at that.

Via ACARS. There seems to have been an issue tonight with the loadsheet being received via ACARS - probably due to the same flight no being used.

VG's off the blocks now, EJ's on final at ORK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Via ACARS. There seems to have been an issue tonight with the loadsheet being received via ACARS - probably due to the same flight no being used.

Could be it needed to be re-initialised, the ACARS that is.. Tends to confuse the system, well ours anyway in those circumstances and the crew almost always forget... :D

Strumms wrote: »
    Could be it needed to be re-initialised, the ACARS that is.. Tends to confuse the system, well ours anyway in those circumstances and the crew almost always forget... :D

Yep and tonight was no exception, wouldn't even print at the gate hence the delay, some poor fecker had to run to and from op's.. TWICE. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Government of Panama Embraer 600 off the south coast now: HP1A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

FR4007 from Manchester to Alicante http://fr24.com/RYR42Y/544d9a0

Turning back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭lambayire

Beauvais, perhaps?

• Advertisement