Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Track day 2015

• 12-01-2015 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Considering buying a cheap track day only bike for maybe 2 or 3 track days through out the year. Do you have to have these fancy tyre warmers and all if the tyres on the bike are slicks? I don't plan on going to fast :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭sean61

Feckthis wrote: »
    Considering buying a cheap track day only bike for maybe 2 or 3 track days through out the year. Do you have to have these fancy tyre warmers and all if the tyres on the bike are slicks? I don't plan on going to fast :D

You don't have to but it helps when you're running track tyres. There is a warm up lap at the start of each session so your tyres would be fairly ok after that. I just found that when I didn't have warmers I had to stay at the back of the pack for a lap or two, to be sure the tyres had heated up enough before giving it socks. It shouldn't be an issue for the first few trackdays anyway as you will probably be in the novice group and taking it handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

sean61 wrote: »
    You don't have to but it helps when you're running track tyres. There is a warm up lap at the start of each session so your tyres would be fairly ok after that. I just found that when I didn't have warmers I had to stay at the back of the pack for a lap or two, to be sure the tyres had heated up enough before giving it socks. It shouldn't be an issue for the first few trackdays anyway as you will probably be in the novice group and taking it handy

Cheers.
    Any advice on what type of bike to go for or what to look out for when buying a used track bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

If you are just doing a few track days don't bother with slicks unless they are given to you! You'll only find them on 1000s anyway - race 600s use threaded tyres. Tyre warmers would be a good idea if using full on race tyres but something like the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP (road/trackday compund) will be fine for advanced group pace and you can get away with one warm up lap on the full track with no warmers.
    As for what type of bike - the one in the best nick with at least a rear shock/gearing. But a standard enough 600 will again do advanced group times. If you start hitting race pace then you mgiht need something better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

CBR 600 is usually the bike of choice, loads of them about for parts etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Feckthis

Why do most bikes for sale have a picture of this?? I am not a mechanically minded person. I hope to learn as I go. Is there many people that do track days that wouldn't really know what there at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Why do most bikes for sale have a picture of this?? I am not a mechanically minded person. I hope to learn as I go. Is there many people that do track days that wouldn't really know what there at?

Looks like a transponder or data logging port.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

I'd be more inclined to think it's to show the condition of the rear shock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

dunner515 wrote: »
    I'd be more inclined to think it's to show the condition of the rear shock

And the suspension setup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

From experience of racing bikes in the Irish Clubmans and Irish Superbike championship you wont be the only person there for the 1st time and you will learn loads from your 1st track day. Walk around and talk to a few people everyone is really helpful. As for your bike I would go along the lines of a pre injection bike. CBR 600/R6 as they are cheap to buy, easy to maintain and cheap for replacement parts. I used tyre warmers as it always gave me the assurance that the tyres were up to temp but they aren't necessary. Take a few laps to get dialed in and then start getting the laps in. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭jay48

Just a pic to show you what type of shock is in it , the connector is for a battery charger . As the lads said , cbr/r6 you can't really go far wrong , 400's are great craic but if you can get a decent 600 for in or around the same money it's a no brainer to go for the 6 . Again , get a decent road/track tyre and use the warm up laps for exactly that ! :-) if you make it down to mondello give us a shout and I'll bring you around .

Jay

What bike are you riding ? Might be an idea to do the training day first before you take the plunge and buy a track bike .

• Advertisement
Advertisement